Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Dec 2003, 11:38 (Ref:813904)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nigel Roebuck on Mika Salo

While answering a question on Jan Lammers over in his Auto Sprout online column he refers to Mika Salo thus:
For years and years, people kept saying that Mika Salo was the great unrealised talent in racing, but when he went to Ferrari for a time, replacing Michael Schumacher when he hurt himself at Silverstone in '99, he did a competent job, but no more than that.

I think that's a little too dismissive given that he was brought in to support Irvine and that he effectively won the German GP and also claimed a third place at Monza.
Some drivers have made careers on less
Old 17 Dec 2003, 12:14 (Ref:813939)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I sort of agree. However, dismissive is a little unfair as it was only part of a bigger question.

Salo did a good job on the quick (top speed) circuits, but was off pace on the slow circuits like Hungary. So I think competent too, but that is not a bad thing. After all his only comparison as a team mate was Irvine, who was IMHO competent.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 12:32 (Ref:813956)   #3
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I want sure of the best word to use I just felt it was a touch on the unfair side..especially given Salo had been super subbing all year and slotted quickly in
Old 17 Dec 2003, 12:41 (Ref:813973)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Nigel Roebuck on Mika Salo

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands

I think that's a little too dismissive given that he was brought in to support Irvine and that he effectively won the German GP and also claimed a third place at Monza.
Some drivers have made careers on less
He drove well at Monza and Germany, as you say, but he was awful at Austria and Hungary, i think thats what Nigel means.

At Austria, he hit Herbert from behind, when he finally came in for a new nose he came out near the back.

After the second corner, Hakkinen resumed at the back, Hakkinen came 3rd, Salo 12th (??) Hakkinen drove his way through the field, Salo seemed content to stay where he was.

Last edited by Mr V; 17 Dec 2003 at 12:42.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 12:53 (Ref:813992)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree, I never thought that Salo was any more than competant. Good on Roebuck.

The only reason that he had a chance to win in Germany is that Hakkinen suffered a puncture when well ahead of the field.

The fact that TOYOTA replaced him after one season should reinforce this fact. Salo was good enough to earn an F1 drive, not good enough to keep it.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 13:00 (Ref:814006)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'Competant' is enough reallyfair. He did very well at Monza, especially when you consider that Irvine tended to go well there, but Austria and Hungary were pretty atrocious performances. At the time Jean ALesi felt that Badoer would've been a better choice, and I've seen nothing to make me disagree.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 13:23 (Ref:814024)   #7
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I'd agree with "competent". He's not a great driver.

Badoer would have been no better, as he holds the record for the most number of races without scoring a single point, doesn't he?
Old 17 Dec 2003, 17:48 (Ref:814302)   #8
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think salo did both very good and very bad in ferrari. one race he was leading the other he was getting lapped by his teamamte.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 18:41 (Ref:814357)   #9
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Salo didn't have Schumi's 'gadgets', like traction control device.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 17 Dec 2003, 19:06 (Ref:814375)   #10
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Irvine?
Old 17 Dec 2003, 21:28 (Ref:814517)   #11
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well no. if you think barrichello has/has had it bad at ferrari then you only need to look at irvines time in ferrari to see number 2 drivers at thier most unfair times!
Old 17 Dec 2003, 22:10 (Ref:814569)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Salo was a good driver, but never was great.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 22:35 (Ref:814605)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Badoer would have been no better, as he holds the record for the most number of races without scoring a single point, doesn't he?
He holds that record, but he has only been able to drive for Scuderia Italia, Forti and Minardi. I'm pretty sure he would be more than competent. He was after all a F3000 champion.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 06:43 (Ref:814841)   #14
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by 429CJ
Salo didn't have Schumi's 'gadgets', like traction control device.
One in every group is'nt there.

Salo was OK. He's better than most of the pay drivers that come in, but not a WDC. But then, most of them are'nt.
Old 21 Dec 2003, 10:30 (Ref:817324)   #15
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought he did a pretty good job considering he just slotted straight into the team. Winning any GP in a situation like that is pretty impressive.
Old 21 Dec 2003, 11:08 (Ref:817345)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Salo did a good enough job when he was at Ferrari, considering he had little time to really mould himself into the seat. He was paid to simply sub, and if he could stop others from scoring and help Irvine, then that was good.

He had a couple of good races and a couple of bad. IMO he was always going to be expected to struggle at certain places...

But, granted, Salo is/was nothing special.