Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 28 Apr 2008, 06:26 (Ref:2188842)   #1
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jonny don't do it!

I have just read an article suggesting that although he currently doesn't have a 'regular season' drive lined up for after A1GP season finishes, Jonny Reid would like to do Indy Lights, if funding becomes available. God I hope not, what a huge step down that would be after being a regular front runner in A1GP.

With Ferrari coming on board and the current growth in A1GP, you could do a lot worse than being a career A1GP driver, and surely Reid will continue to be NZL's first choice unless Brendon Hartley becomes available on a regular basis.

The drivers do need to earn a living so I guess it depends on whether & how much they are being paid. Adam Carroll said in an interview that it is a professional series and you can earn a living, not sure how many teams that applies to. Presume Reid would be being paid but less than he would get if he made it into the IRL.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 00:24 (Ref:2189710)   #2
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Relax. I think Jonny is keeping his options open, besides, Team NZL hasn't given him the seat for season 4. We'll see what happens.
Old 5 May 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2194690)   #3
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Reid raced for a season or two in Europe and had two seasons in Japanese F3 (2005, 2006) and won a few races in 2005 but had nothing to race in (2007)last season. He has said he needs something between the seasons for race fitness and to try other forms of racing.

Indy lights is cheaper than FAtlantic so he's arranged a test.... We'll have to see where it leads, if anywhere.
Old 6 May 2008, 03:13 (Ref:2194853)   #4
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as it's just a matter of keeping sharp for A1GP then I'll forgive him!

BTW Matt Halliday's American push doesn't seem to have got very far. I presume the usual issue of needing sponsorship?
Old 8 May 2008, 08:14 (Ref:2196660)   #5
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Presumably yes - that's certainly how his Champ Car career ended but he entered a dying series so it wouldn't have been a massive shock

Matt's own website describes his plans as below

FUTURE COMMITMENTS

2008 – Champcar World Series / Indy Racing League
Negotiating testing and one-off driving duties following merger of Champcar / Indycar Series but looking to secure full time drive for 2009. Also discussing one-off drives in other classes such as Le Mans Sports Cars and Porsche Supercup.

2008 – V8 Supercar - Australia
Negotiating with teams to drive in V8 Supercar Phillip Island and Bathurst endurance races in September and October.

FUTURE PROSPECTS

Concentrating on moving permanent residence to USA and negotiating full time race drive in 2009.

Also keen to contest on-off races in Le Mans Sports cars and Porsche Supercup.

Looking to sign up for V8 Supecar endurance races with a good team for next two years.

Hopefully contesting selected rounds of 2008/09 New Zealand Porsche GT3 Challenge Cup during southern hemisphere summer - a terrific way to spend the summer holidays !!!
Old 8 May 2008, 14:19 (Ref:2196896)   #6
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Thanks Mystery. Hopefully he can get something sorted out. He seemed a very down to earth and no-nonsence bloke, I remember John Watson said he reminded him of Denny Hulme.
Old 20 May 2008, 12:07 (Ref:2207274)   #7
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jonny Reid passes his rookie test to take part in Indy Lights this weekend
linky
Old 21 May 2008, 02:25 (Ref:2207934)   #8
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Thanks for the news link Mystery. Reading that article I still feel it is a level below him, I guess he does need to do something during the off season and hopefully he will show up very well and it will be a springboard into the IRL, if that's what he wants to do.
Old 21 May 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2208127)   #9
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
It highlights the identity problem that A1GP has. It's a sideshow not relevant to the motorsports pyramid so it's drivers will be fed back in anywhere into that pyramid.

Adam Carroll into GP2, Franky Cheng, Vietoris and Hulkenberg into F3, Wickens to WSR, Jonny to Indy Lights etc etc etc.

The problem is that A1GP is neither a top level series, nor a feeder to anything else. So it's most successful drivers still have nowhere next to go. It's the same problem that the Champ Car series had in the USA, although that had the accompanying problem of it believing it was a top-line series in motorsports generally.

The GP2 series champion most naturally ends up in F1. F3 Euroseries to GP2. Indy Lights to IRL. Nationwide to NASCAR. A1GP to errmm....the job centre?
Old 21 May 2008, 15:38 (Ref:2208383)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well you have to remember the irl is modern gladiatorial combat with all the associated risk. Indy Lights runs on many of the same tracks at a lower speed, so it is probably a good idea not having experience over here to do so in indy lights before you jump to the irl.
Old 29 May 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2214573)   #11
RaceRant
Rookie

New Zealand
RaceRant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
It highlights the identity problem that A1GP has. It's a sideshow not relevant to the motorsports pyramid so it's drivers will be fed back in anywhere into that pyramid.

Adam Carroll into GP2, Franky Cheng, Vietoris and Hulkenberg into F3, Wickens to WSR, Jonny to Indy Lights etc etc etc.

The problem is that A1GP is neither a top level series, nor a feeder to anything else. So it's most successful drivers still have nowhere next to go. It's the same problem that the Champ Car series had in the USA, although that had the accompanying problem of it believing it was a top-line series in motorsports generally.

The GP2 series champion most naturally ends up in F1. F3 Euroseries to GP2. Indy Lights to IRL. Nationwide to NASCAR. A1GP to errmm....the job centre?
You've hit the nail on the head there mate. I still believe Jonny has a brighter future in circuit racing (despite the number of road courses in the IRL only to grow with the merger), however if he doesn't tee a ride up with David Sear's Supernova team in GP2 - or any ride in GP2 for that matter - this may be the most viable option.

At the end of the day, Jonny's getting to an age where setting himself up with a proper and substantial career path is becoming pivotal.
Old 30 May 2008, 07:44 (Ref:2215128)   #12
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully he'll still be with NZ A1GP team. He is a very nice bloke and a good ambassador for NZ. However, because he is a very measured driver, he learns steadily rather than rushing at it, and that applies to circuits as well as cars.

As posted earlier, he needs a drive in the A1 off season. Hartley looks set to head upwards and I think other posters are correct; A1 would not be an advancement for Hartley. There are several other NZ youngsters coming through, but my money is on Jonny for next season.
Old 30 May 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2215209)   #13
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
If Jonny gets a ride in the USA its hard to see him back in the A1 car,Hartleys all wrapped up by Red Bull and looks like he's got the nod to go to F1 so he's hardly likely to be let loose in A1GP.
Old 30 May 2008, 16:47 (Ref:2215425)   #14
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we'll see a lot more of Van der Drift next year.

He was quickest in the Brands Hatch rookie session, and Jonny was no-where in qualifying, only some handy pit stop work prevented him loosing 2nd place in the championship.
Old 31 May 2008, 01:38 (Ref:2215675)   #15
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Thats a polite way to say theres the door Jonny.....

Funny it seems like only last season we wanted Matt out and Jonny in,one season later its thanks for the memories Jonny we'll be intouch...motorsport is such a fickle mistress..
Old 1 Jun 2008, 01:03 (Ref:2216215)   #16
RaceRant
Rookie

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram
Hopefully he'll still be with NZ A1GP team. He is a very nice bloke and a good ambassador for NZ. However, because he is a very measured driver, he learns steadily rather than rushing at it, and that applies to circuits as well as cars.

As posted earlier, he needs a drive in the A1 off season. Hartley looks set to head upwards and I think other posters are correct; A1 would not be an advancement for Hartley. There are several other NZ youngsters coming through, but my money is on Jonny for next season.
It's as much a non-advancement for Hartley as it is his being forbidden to drive the A1 car by Dr. Helmut Marko (Mr. Red Bull).

Marko approached A1TeamNZL owner Colin Giltrap after Brendon's test at Taupo, and pretty much threatened that if Brendon wasn't racing Black Beauty next time, then he could take a running jump.

Now, Colin's no mug, and he doesn't take any **** either. So essentially, from that point onward, Hartley's name has pretty much been scrapped from the potential A1GP New Zealand checklist.

Then again, Hartley's got British F3 and a preliminary contract with Torro Rosso, while Giltrap's got the Bambers and van der Drifts of this world to choose from - I'm not sure either party is too worried.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 04:02 (Ref:2217446)   #17
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Can someone please remind me again what kind of car A1GP is using from now on? And then what type of engine Toro Rosso has? And then why Marko wouldn't want Hartley to get more experience in an A1GP car, even if it is just testing?

I understand Marko's approach here about as much as I understand his handling of Vitantonio Liuzzi and Scott Speed....not at all!
Old 2 Jun 2008, 05:03 (Ref:2217457)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Red Bull has certainly made a lot of bizarre decisions regarding it's open wheel drivers over the year. I don't try to understand it.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2217563)   #19
RaceRant
Rookie

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Can someone please remind me again what kind of car A1GP is using from now on? And then what type of engine Toro Rosso has? And then why Marko wouldn't want Hartley to get more experience in an A1GP car, even if it is just testing?

I understand Marko's approach here about as much as I understand his handling of Vitantonio Liuzzi and Scott Speed....not at all!
As mountainstar said above, Red Bull have made some pretty unorthodox decisions of late. In Marko's mind, A1GP is a step backward for Hartley, perhaps not in speed, but certainly when considering the 'grand plan' that the energy drink giant has for each of its junior drivers.

Hartley, as I said above, is well in with Torro Rosso now as their skid-guru at big promo events, and he's tested for them recently too. I don't think A1GP is held in high regard still by many of the big European outfits, championships and hierarchy, but the Ferrari link is sure to change that.

If Hartley wants to make it to F1, he seems to be going the right way about it. He just has to hone and refine his wet weather driving - it's really let him down lately in BF3.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 02:27 (Ref:2218290)   #20
JOWT Blog
Racer

United States
JOWT Blog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Indy Lights is a wise move for Reid. Why not come to America... gain some oval experience (should it ever be needed) while promoting your name. Reid did well this year in A1GP and I think Lights will only aide his development. His next move is largely dependent on funding...
Old 3 Jun 2008, 07:05 (Ref:2218353)   #21
RaceRant
Rookie

New Zealand
Definitely, and if his circuit racing plans don't progress any further, there's a successful career to be had in America. We only have to look at Scott.
Old 7 Jun 2008, 23:25 (Ref:2222213)   #22
n.kuiper
Rookie

New Zealand
waiuku
n.kuiper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
2 things here -
-johnny was still way faster than van der drift
-is matt dreaming if he thinks he can skip indy lights and jump straight into indy cars with no experience?
Old 8 Jun 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2222379)   #23
RaceRant
Rookie

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.kuiper
2 things here -
-johnny was still way faster than van der drift
-is matt dreaming if he thinks he can skip indy lights and jump straight into indy cars with no experience?
Matt? Halliday?

Don't believe what you read. He's got nothing concrete in place, it's just a PR spin to justify his sudden 'departure' from NZ.
Old 9 Jun 2008, 09:12 (Ref:2223463)   #24
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Like every other ex-Champ Car driver he has to aim for the Indy-style equivalent. Doesn't make it realistic but one has to try
Old 9 Jun 2008, 20:49 (Ref:2224132)   #25
Ryan
Rookie

United States
Wisconsin
Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw him in the paddock at Milwaukee with his IRL hardcard. He did not do much during the Indy Lights race. I guess he needs more oval experience. He did not crash and kept his nose clean. He is signed up with Chip Ganassi. He was wearing one of those Target Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates shirts.