Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:08 (Ref:1000532)   #1
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rodgers blows it ...................

Mc conville has lost 72 points for an under weight crankshaft.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:13 (Ref:1000539)   #2
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont blame them, with a 2 year wait for a proper weight one and all..
Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:15 (Ref:1000542)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So not only cant their cars blow anyone off in a straight line, they also use underweight componentry? :confused:

Cam must be reaaaaaaaal glad he moved from LRT now.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:15 (Ref:1000543)   #4
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has been caught at this meeting apparently if he had have been caught before this meeting he would not be racing - looks like the rule makers are serious.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:17 (Ref:1000544)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How do you get caught at the meeting? The engine would have to be stripped down to its innards and weighed... I thought they sealed engines and tore them down in the relative comfort of a team workshop?
Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:18 (Ref:1000548)   #6
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
surely they wouldnt dissect a race engine on the eve of a meeting?
Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:18 (Ref:1000549)   #7
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Will post more detail if it comes to hand.

Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:27 (Ref:1000557)   #8
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
I have been at meetings where they have checked bore diameters with the head off -- I do not know the circumstances yet.

Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:30 (Ref:1000562)   #9
Vee8
Racer

Vee8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm told the the infringement was detected at Pukekohe - no idea why it's taken until now for the penalty to be imposed. The offending crankshaft was apparently about 500 grams lighter than the minimum allowed weight.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 09:35 (Ref:1000571)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Wish I could fill my engine with lightweight parts and run 27th in the championship....
Old 11 Jun 2004, 11:02 (Ref:1000633)   #11
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
I guess this begs the question of how many mechanics would have a set of scales beside them as they worked on the engines.

Old 11 Jun 2004, 11:16 (Ref:1000644)   #12
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought any engine builder worth his salt would have numerous weight measuring devices, especially if the rules demand certsin weights.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 11:24 (Ref:1000651)   #13
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Well micrometers and verniers yes - but scales would be *new* technology for a motor mechanic.

Old 11 Jun 2004, 11:37 (Ref:1000659)   #14
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Balancing of rods, pistons etc requires scales and this is basic race engine building retro
Old 11 Jun 2004, 11:39 (Ref:1000661)   #15
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Thats probably why I have only built one engine in my lifetime - although it ran ok :-)

Old 11 Jun 2004, 11:40 (Ref:1000662)   #16
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Not at all, most decent engine builders will weigh parts, especially moving parts to make sure that they are all the same, and that they will not create a imbalance in the engine. Parts such as the crank are always weighed, otherwise they can not be properly balanced.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 12:30 (Ref:1000723)   #17
Jack racer
Racer

Jack racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is no mistake. You know what weight the crank is when you put it in an engine and 500grams is alot to be out. Avesco have a test weight that all the teams can check there scales on aswell.
Old 11 Jun 2004, 12:49 (Ref:1000730)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Having checked the engine in car #33, did the TEGA technical boys then turn their attentions to #34? Or has GRM produced a different engine for that car after #33 was checked out?
Old 11 Jun 2004, 13:05 (Ref:1000738)   #19
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Given the RPM is limited you would wonder why they would have a light weight crank. May have been an oversight.??

Old 11 Jun 2004, 13:11 (Ref:1000743)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Engine revs faster because the components are lighter, so the car gets its power sooner... same reason they use lightweight valve trains, pistons etc etc... and why they banned them all!!!
Old 11 Jun 2004, 21:28 (Ref:1001148)   #21
Boss330
Rookie

Boss330 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by retro
I guess this begs the question of how many mechanics would have a set of scales beside them as they worked on the engines.
How do you think they balance an engine!
Old 11 Jun 2004, 23:29 (Ref:1001227)   #22
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
I have been to an engine shop B330 and I have seen pistons matched on scales and rods the same way - I have seen cranks in a blance lathe - actually seen a fair bit in my time although I do not own an engine shop like you - one thing I have never seen is a mechanic pick up a crank and put on a set of scales - do you do this in your shop???

Last edited by retro; 11 Jun 2004 at 23:33.

Old 12 Jun 2004, 00:27 (Ref:1001248)   #23
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crankshafts are weighed as a matter of fact, the balance of the engine cannot be correct if the crank is not ground to a centre line and each side oc centre in a 360 degree arc balanced. This may not necesarily be done in house but may happen at a specialty shop. From what I have seen at one Hunter valley engine shop the crank was balanced with pistons etc attached. This engine did require 10,000 rpm so this may not be as critical searching for 7,000.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 05:04 (Ref:1001373)   #24
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Cam must be reaaaaaaaal glad he moved from LRT now.
Yep, i bet he's filthy after only qualifying 4th today...
Old 12 Jun 2004, 05:10 (Ref:1001375)   #25
Techo
Racer

Techo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't you hate it when that happens !