Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Dec 2003, 07:37 (Ref:809851)   #1
RobweenerPI
Rookie

RobweenerPI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Support series

I'm tired of watching boring spec open wheel cars as a support series. Star Mazda is now being turned into a francised league too. From what I understand you have to own a team in order to run. So the only way in is to buy an existing team not just the chassis. If this is a support series for the ALMS races why are they running openwheel cars. Why not use your now favorable relationship with the SCCA to develop a DSR support series. Run a spec engine(most allready run high revving motorbike engines), and then leave the rest to existing DSR rules. I think this would generate much more fan interest as people could then design thier own car. And they even look like mini LMP's. Secondly the insurgance of the newer turnkey DSR cars in SCCA club racing allows people to buy a car off the shelf that can be very competative. Am I crazy or is this not a good Idea. DSR's aren't expensive either, measures may need to be taken to keep cost and tech down as development would skyrocket in a pro series from it's current place.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 07:54 (Ref:809860)   #2
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am with you with that idea. Star Mazda car(the current one) is really not that great looking nor do they really fit the bill with the idea of IMSA/ALMS sportscar racing. The new ones looks cool, but still not much of a sportscar connection there. DSR or CSR could look better with the whole scheme of things. But I guess the ladder system now doesn't really put a lot of the SCCA stuff in the loop...
Old 12 Dec 2003, 13:10 (Ref:810133)   #3
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why even specify an engine?
Old 12 Dec 2003, 16:46 (Ref:810365)   #4
RobweenerPI
Rookie

RobweenerPI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give everyone the same power. This is still a support series so cost needs to be kept as low as possible. Giving spec power will provide an opportunity for everyone to be competative. I didn't think of this earlier, but spec gearbox ratios would also be a good thing to reduce cost in spares. Also engine development is extremely expensive, a spec engine would be more reliable and cheaper. The sanctioning body could then also regulate the performance of the machines better. This is a support series Idea after all not an all out racing series. It's more for driver development and entertainment rather than development of technology.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 16:47 (Ref:810367)   #5
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RobweenerPI
This is still a support series so cost needs to be kept as low as possible.
I see, as in the Speed World Challenge.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 16:53 (Ref:810373)   #6
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When ALMS started they attempted a support series/ ladder feeder class called Toyota Sports2000- it didn't fair well and didn't fill fields like Formula Mazda does- They should invite SCCA DSR clubs to race before their events to make the local connection and give some TV time to these aspiring and local guys, why do these sanctioning bodies always want to develop a new feeder when the club ranks always have big fields of people who want to move up?
not to mention very intense policing to keep things level.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 18:08 (Ref:810443)   #7
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is not a rule that you "buy" a franchise to race in Star Mazda. Anybody can run their own car or even rent one. In order to run for championship points, you do have to pay a series entry fee (a small amount) but can run race without being a full-time series entrant.

As to the car "fitting" in as a ALMS support series, I agree open wheel has no sense of belonging with sportscars. Star does make a sportsracer kit (that would better fit the sportscar product) for the pre-2004 Star car http://www.starmazda.com/mazdasportracer.htm and I suggested to the Star people that they talk to IMSA about running it as an additional support event (there is no way they are going to NOT run the new open wheel car as Elan [Panoz owned] builds the new car). The infrastructure is there as well as a boatload of existing Formula Mazdas that could be converted (for about $5,000) to run the additional series. My suggestion didn't receive a lot of enthusiasm.