Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Apr 2020, 16:19 (Ref:3969833)   #1
LW97
Rookie

LW97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLW97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why does Grosjean still have a seat?

Don't get mad at me, but his 2019 season was a pure disaster.
Old 10 Apr 2020, 16:43 (Ref:3969845)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
.... and Hulkenberg would be better? I think this is part and parcel of your other thread, isn't it?
Old 10 Apr 2020, 16:46 (Ref:3969847)   #3
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
He kept the seat for three reasons as I understand it, not in order:

1. Continuity.

2. Much cheaper than Huelkenburg.

3. Turned out his early-season feedback was actually correct.
Old 10 Apr 2020, 17:40 (Ref:3969859)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Why does Grosjean still have a seat?

I can’t see Grosjean getting a seat in a race winning car. Like Hulk he is out of fashion.

Why was he kept? Of course he can be a bit temperamental in and out the car, but I read about his technical feedback in the post above, so that’s obviously something the team value. They need him to help develop the car more. And he’s still capable of a good/great drive on occasion
Old 10 Apr 2020, 17:53 (Ref:3969865)   #5
LW97
Rookie

LW97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLW97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
.... and Hulkenberg would be better? I think this is part and parcel of your other thread, isn't it?
Because Grosjean has scored multiple podiums pre-2016? So has Heidfeld.
Old 10 Apr 2020, 17:57 (Ref:3969869)   #6
LW97
Rookie

Quote:
Yes, Hülkenberg's 2019 season wasn't that great either, but even he scored more points than both Haas.
Old 10 Apr 2020, 18:35 (Ref:3969873)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LW97 View Post
Yes, Hülkenberg's 2019 season wasn't that great either, but even he scored more points than both Haas.
But the Haas was an awful car - the updates they were throwing at it didn't work. They ended up going back to the spec they had a the first race -by which time of course everyone elses cars were much quicker than they had been at the first race so Haas were further off the pace. The Renault was a better car all season so of course Hulkenberg outscored both Haas drivers - put either of the Haas drivers intothat Renault and they'd both have scored more points.
Old 10 Apr 2020, 18:39 (Ref:3969875)   #8
LW97
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
But the Haas was an awful car - the updates they were throwing at it didn't work. They ended up going back to the spec they had a the first race -by which time of course everyone elses cars were much quicker than they had been at the first race so Haas were further off the pace. The Renault was a better car all season so of course Hulkenberg outscored both Haas drivers - put either of the Haas drivers intothat Renault and they'd both have scored more points.
The Renault wasn't that much better... in 2017 and 18 Renault have had a way better performance
Old 10 Apr 2020, 18:40 (Ref:3969876)   #9
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hopefully I'm following the logic:

Vettel should leave Ferrari because they are rubbish.
Grosjean should be dumped because the Haas is rubbish.
Hulkenberg should get a seat because he outperformed a rubbish car.
Hamilton should move to Ferrari, even though it's a rubbish car.
???
Old 10 Apr 2020, 18:41 (Ref:3969877)   #10
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The Renault wasn't that much better... in 2017 and 18 Renault have had a way better performance
5th out of 10 manufacturers?
Old 10 Apr 2020, 18:43 (Ref:3969878)   #11
LW97
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
5th out of 10 manufacturers?
Well, Toro Rosso finished behind Renault in the standings, but Kvyat - another driver I'm not sure about if he really still should have a seat - has shown poor performances (with the exception of Hockenheim) and yes, two podiums, but they been very inconsistent.
Old 10 Apr 2020, 18:44 (Ref:3969879)   #12
LW97
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Hopefully I'm following the logic:

Vettel should leave Ferrari because they are rubbish.
Grosjean should be dumped because the Haas is rubbish.
Hulkenberg should get a seat because he outperformed a rubbish car.
Hamilton should move to Ferrari, even though it's a rubbish car.
???
Hamilton should proof himself in a car that isn't among the two best, like Schumi did back then when he moved to Ferrari.
Old 10 Apr 2020, 18:56 (Ref:3969881)   #13
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Hamilton should proof himself in a car that isn't among the two best, like Schumi did back then when he moved to Ferrari.
You make it sound like it was all Schumacher's doing. I think his results at Ferrari would have been a far different story had Ferrari not employed the likes of Byrne and Brawn etc to design build and develop such quick cars.

In the same way as I think it was you that suggested in another post that Hamilton should go to Haas to 'do a Schu'. Put Hamilton in last year's Haas and I doubt he would have got a podium, let alone wins and a title. The car is far more of the result than the driver these days.
Old 10 Apr 2020, 19:10 (Ref:3969883)   #14
LW97
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
You make it sound like it was all Schumacher's doing. I think his results at Ferrari would have been a far different story had Ferrari not employed the likes of Byrne and Brawn etc to design build and develop such quick cars.

In the same way as I think it was you that suggested in another post that Hamilton should go to Haas to 'do a Schu'. Put Hamilton in last year's Haas and I doubt he would have got a podium, let alone wins and a title. The car is far more of the result than the driver these days.
Actually, Byrne and Brawn joined Ferrari one year after Schumi. The 96 car was ever worse than the 95 one, nevertheless Schumi would win three races, more than Ferrari did in the previous five seasons put together. Of course they wouldn't have become title contenders in 97 already without Byrne and Brawn, but Schumacher definitely did more developing than Hamilton.

On Hamilton at Haas we agree, it may turn out to be the same as Hamilton's 2nd McLaren journey.
Old 10 Apr 2020, 20:22 (Ref:3969904)   #15
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Actually, Byrne and Brawn joined Ferrari one year after Schumi.
Great wins in 1996 for sure, but all in non-typical circumstances IIRC.
Old 10 Apr 2020, 21:34 (Ref:3969913)   #16
LW97
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Great wins in 1996 for sure, but all in non-typical circumstances IIRC.
Barcelona yes, Spa and Monza no. He just tried hard.
Old 11 Apr 2020, 05:03 (Ref:3969962)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great drives. All of them.

No one has ever decided to drive for a team with a worse car to proof themselves. Ever.

Hamilton is not going to, and should not, do that now.

Besides he’s put in enough drives in machinery that’s not the very top to show he’s a decent peddler.
Old 11 Apr 2020, 05:39 (Ref:3969966)   #18
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

No one has ever decided to drive for a team with a worse car to proof themselves. Ever.

Besides he’s put in enough drives in machinery that’s not the very top to show he’s a decent peddler.
I was of the thought he might go to Ferrari after equalling Schumacher's 7 titles for the romanticism of beating his record at the same team.

I don't think that will happen anymore though.
Old 11 Apr 2020, 08:52 (Ref:3969992)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If he goes to Ferrari, it will be a big challenge. It depends how much he wants to take it on
Old 11 Apr 2020, 09:07 (Ref:3969995)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I stand to be corrected in due course of time I suppose, but the idea of Hamilton going to Ferrari on the back of some romantic notion of beating Schumacher in a Ferrari is fantasy of the highest order..... Romantic he might be, insane he isn't.
Old 11 Apr 2020, 12:06 (Ref:3970035)   #21
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I stand to be corrected in due course of time I suppose, but the idea of Hamilton going to Ferrari on the back of some romantic notion of beating Schumacher in a Ferrari is fantasy of the highest order..... Romantic he might be, insane he isn't.
Sounds familar:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again today: I just can't ever see Hamilton racing for the Red Team. It's way too much of a risk for both of them.

He's been with Mercedes in one form or another since he started climbing the ladder, whether in the McLaren driver development programme, with McLaren themselves, or with Mercedes F1. His time in F3 with Manor was with a Mercedes engine, his time in F3 with ASM/ART was with a Mercedes engine, in fact his only big-league year not with a Merc engine was his year in GP2 because the only engine supplier was Mecachrome. He was still aligned with Mercedes via his relationship with McLaren.

So I don't think Mercedes would let him, for one, and I would expect Ferrari would have to throw so much money at him to entice him across that they'd make a mess of their own finances. Unless Philip Morris want to splurge some hidden cash, of course...

Nope, just can't see it happening. There's too much in terms of reputation at stake for too many people.

Of course, if Mercedes were to stop racing altogether, it would be an open goal for Ferrari!
Old 11 Apr 2020, 12:45 (Ref:3970042)   #22
peebee2
Veteran

Actually even in his formative years, he was 50% McLaren and 50% Mercedes. So he’s actually been with Mercedes for his entire career, and not via McLaren.
Old 11 Apr 2020, 14:15 (Ref:3970065)   #23
LW97
Rookie

Poultry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

I will agree on "is not going to", but not on "should not".
Old 11 Apr 2020, 14:19 (Ref:3970067)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
How about 'Would be mad to'......
Old 11 Apr 2020, 14:23 (Ref:3970073)   #25
LW97
Rookie

Quote:
How about 'Would be mad to'......
Good choice. I still would love to Lewis in a Haas and with Magnussen as teammate.