Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Apr 2014, 11:34 (Ref:3392326)   #1
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PWC vs TUSCC at Long Beach which was better?

So I've not had a chance to watch the PWC race yet, but I'm curious as to the opinion of those who were there and those who watched the web streams of both.

Who do you think put on the better show in regards to the racing, the cars, etc.?
Old 14 Apr 2014, 12:59 (Ref:3392377)   #2
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The PWC race was more fun to watch, due to the fact that the leaders had more traffic to navigate.

Last edited by TRspitfirefan; 14 Apr 2014 at 13:01. Reason: Edited to keep from spoiling the outcome of the PWC race.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 17:00 (Ref:3392884)   #3
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PWC - for one, there was actually a race to watch rather than commercial breaks. And GT3 is 'the' show in sports car racing at the moment, so much variety, such close racing.

TUSC - Well, there's still improvements to be made, some of which I'm sure will come with time like the P2 and DP BoP. Others such as the commercial deals they have in place and how IMSA choose to advertise them probably requires some real shouting from fans and teams alike. Still an all round good race though, it certainly didn't have the flagrant officiating issues that Sebring did with FCYs and penalties, but then again, the grid was far smaller.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 18:07 (Ref:3392910)   #4
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMSA was better: Longer race, lots of green flag time. Bad part was the lack of cars (little passing). A Ford and Chevy show. The Oak car could have got a podium.

PWC was OK but the first 20 minutes was run under caution. Cadillac seemed to have complete control of the race and it looked like they only ran as hard as they needed. Very little coverage of GTS and pretty much nothing for GT-A. Kia and Cadillac both sponsored the stream and Kia sponsored the race. Kia and Cadillac both won. Caddilac is not a GT3 car, so Long Beach was not a GT3 show for me.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 19:10 (Ref:3392952)   #5
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
IMSA was better: Longer race, lots of green flag time. Bad part was the lack of cars (little passing). A Ford and Chevy show. The Oak car could have got a podium.

PWC was OK but the first 20 minutes was run under caution. Cadillac seemed to have complete control of the race and it looked like they only ran as hard as they needed. Very little coverage of GTS and pretty much nothing for GT-A. Kia and Cadillac both sponsored the stream and Kia sponsored the race. Kia and Cadillac both won. Caddilac is not a GT3 car, so Long Beach was not a GT3 show for me.
Yeah, pretty much this.

If IMSA get their tv problems straighten out, it would been a very good experience.

The PWC felt like it only had about 30 minuets of racing. And the SCCA built Caddies had a huge BOP advantage. I guess one of the few problems with sprint type racing.

But yeah one of the biggest advantage was that the TUSC race had some pit strategy in it. And because of it, TUSC just felt like it had more stories to talk about then the PWC
Old 15 Apr 2014, 19:13 (Ref:3392953)   #6
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Just watched PWC. Not at the circuit so can't comment on trackside, but as a TV spectator I enjoyed both, no need to pick a winner, I saw two good races that entertained me for a combined 160 minutes.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 22:00 (Ref:3393059)   #7
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This round goes to TUSK. I think the key was the P/GTLM only grid. I have been a supporter of this format ever since the schedule first came out last year. I knew it would work well and I think I've been proven right.

I think PWC had just fine of a race. I'd rather not have the "GTS" class cars not share the grid with the "GT" class though. I think "GTS" cars caused the FCY's.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 22:32 (Ref:3393070)   #8
extramundane
Racer

Benin
Here.
extramundane has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh99 View Post
PWC - for one, there was actually a race to watch rather than commercial breaks. And GT3 is 'the' show in sports car racing at the moment, so much variety, such close racing.
There may not have been commercial breaks but there wasn't much racing shown on the WC stream. Most of the broadcast was the Cadillacs not racing each other and most of the rest was the Kia not racing anyone. I understand there was some quite good racing down the GT order, but the stream sure as hell didn't show it.

Between the 360p-at-the-best-of-times stream and that godawful commentator who seemed to be watching a completely different feed most of the race, the broadcast was utterly forgettable.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 00:24 (Ref:3393096)   #9
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still feel there was better racing in PWC. Maybe that's just because I watched the TUSC race in Saturday and I expected PWC to be better.

I should rewatch both to be objective about it
Old 16 Apr 2014, 02:24 (Ref:3393110)   #10
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was there for both. The PWC had much better racing with a ton of passing. I was at turn 1. The Cadillacs have a big advantage. For the TUSC race I was in the last corners in grandstand 18. The DPs still have a HUGE advantage due to the horsepower and the ability to get heat into the tires.
The Drissi GT3 Vantage sounded like the typical beautiful Aston V12 we all know and love, not muffled like the GTD TRG ones. The GT3Rs run by EFFORT are much nicer than the GT America and the rear wings are huge on all the cars, not the puny GTD one so the cars look much better. With Turner coming with the Z4 and the Dyson Bentleys, this series will only get better. No more TUSC races for me in person unless they are supporting Indycar or WEC. I had an empty feeling watching the IMSA race.