Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Jun 2018, 13:20 (Ref:3829281)   #1
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Useless FIA Survey

Today I got an email from the MSA inviting me to take part in an FIA survey; however, my effort to inform the FIA of my opinions fell at the first hurdle.

Reading the possible replies to question 1 I decided that none of the available answers was particularly relevant to me, so I selected "none of the above" & clicked on "next". On the next page I got a message telling me that there was an error in my answer to the first question & asking me to go back & check my answer. If you're giving a number of choices shouldn't they all be valid responses? Schoolboy error!
Old 14 Jun 2018, 13:49 (Ref:3829291)   #2
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Today I got an email from the MSA inviting me to take part in an FIA survey; however, my effort to inform the FIA of my opinions fell at the first hurdle.

Reading the possible replies to question 1 I decided that none of the available answers was particularly relevant to me, so I selected "none of the above" & clicked on "next". On the next page I got a message telling me that there was an error in my answer to the first question & asking me to go back & check my answer. If you're giving a number of choices shouldn't they all be valid responses? Schoolboy error!
Phew, glad it wasn't just me then.

Dave
Old 14 Jun 2018, 13:56 (Ref:3829294)   #3
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad we all think the same, I put 'none of the above' and got the same response, it made me think that it was composed by a 16 year old as part of an 'O' level, & I guess they got an 'E'.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 14:34 (Ref:3829297)   #4
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I replied to the MSA thus:

Quote:
I've hit an immediate showstopper with this: the first question does not have a "most important aspect" that covers my involvement in marshalling, and does not allow me to choose no answer nor "none of the above" for both.

This is unfortunate as the only way to proceed is to choose an answer which does not apply; that will bias the responses the FIA receive massively and in my opinion renders the survey meaningless.

I do hope you could pass that on to whoever designed the survey. Until such time as that gets changed, I don't believe the outcome will help any ASN or the FIA - unless they've prejudged areas they want to address.
There's a reason why questionnaire design is taught at postgraduate degree level in many disciplines - it's bloody hard.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3829415)   #5
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA Marshals Survey

Hm, yes I agree. It appears that the questions are 'slightly' loaded in favour of obtaining very specific answers from us marshals. Its not all about big international events, its about turning up for clubbies, sprints, autotests etc. The FIA tend to forget that all marshals start this way and that some of us are happy doing this. Its not always about halo events it should be about grass roots motorsport making sure we are all well trained and equipped to cope with any situation.
There, my rant is over!
Old 15 Jun 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3829662)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Haven't started it yet. Do you mean to say there's nowhere to answer 'I mostly avoid FIA meetings, mainly because they're run by the FIA'?
Old 4 Jul 2018, 08:10 (Ref:3834536)   #7
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Me too

I had the same feelings/problems about this. I emailed Media @ Thrush HQ (who sent it out) but no reply. ;-)

Regards

Jim
Old 9 Jul 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3835642)   #8
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
I had the same feelings/problems about this. I emailed Media @ Thrush HQ (who sent it out) but no reply. ;-)
Likewise, although I must say I wasn't expecting one.
Old 9 Jul 2018, 16:41 (Ref:3835694)   #9
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So let the MSA know. Perhaps they may have answers ....... or maybe not.
Old 10 Jul 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3835843)   #10
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
So let the MSA know. Perhaps they may have answers ....... or maybe not.
Both Jim and I did so, but got no reply.