Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Oct 2017, 11:25 (Ref:3774649)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
US Grand Prix

Major talking points:

How will Brendon Hartley fare in his first ever Grand Prix?

Can Hamilton seal the championship?

Will Ferrari implode completely and swap cars even though there's no problem with either?

Will Sainz prove to be more competitive than Palmer?

Will there be more mutterings about the return of Kubica?

Over to you:
Old 17 Oct 2017, 12:02 (Ref:3774651)   #2
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The answers, in no particular order are: YES, NO, DEFINATELY, MAYBE, WHITE & NO SUGAR, YES
Old 17 Oct 2017, 12:30 (Ref:3774654)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Intriguing times ahead, I hope they put on a good show for the American public
Old 17 Oct 2017, 15:59 (Ref:3774682)   #4
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
The answers, in no particular order are: YES, NO, DEFINATELY, MAYBE, WHITE & NO SUGAR, YES
Probably as accurate as most other attempts at the answers
Old 17 Oct 2017, 17:14 (Ref:3774689)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The second no was, I thought, apt.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 20:16 (Ref:3774721)   #6
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pink themes up and down the pitlane this weekend, including pink tyres instead of purple. https://t.co/OjQ6nVUlWQ
Old 17 Oct 2017, 20:35 (Ref:3774728)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The second no was, I thought, apt.
I thought the DEFINITELY was interesting too!
Old 17 Oct 2017, 20:40 (Ref:3774729)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Pink themes up and down the pitlane this weekend, including pink tyres instead of purple. https://t.co/OjQ6nVUlWQ
Force India will be pleased
Old 18 Oct 2017, 07:36 (Ref:3774802)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lulu won the WDC at Austin in 2015 and it would be great if he did it again this year. However, I think Vettee has to finish no higher than 5th, for Lulu to do it and finally put him out of his misery.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3774824)   #10
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 18 Oct 2017, 11:23 (Ref:3774825)   #11
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
It looks like the organisers are backing Verstappen this weekend...

Old 19 Oct 2017, 07:35 (Ref:3774976)   #12
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Red, white and blue, another name for the flag of the USA. Or is this another silly post with an attempt at a silly joke??
Old 19 Oct 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3775033)   #13
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Red, white and blue, another name for the flag of the USA. Or is this another silly post with an attempt at a silly joke??
Working with a few Americans (as I do at the moment) - they all say that they would not refer to their national flag by the name 'Red, white and blue'. They would generally refer to 'the star-spangled banner', the 'stars and stripes' or possibly 'old glory'.

Red, white and blue is a common colour combination in use for flags around the world - and arranged as they are in the poster is specific to The Netherlands (or possible a draped French flag).

Are silly posts with silly jokes no longer permitted? Must have missed that change in forum rules.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 14:12 (Ref:3775045)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Working with a few Americans (as I do at the moment) - they all say that they would not refer to their national flag by the name 'Red, white and blue'. They would generally refer to 'the star-spangled banner', the 'stars and stripes' or possibly 'old glory'.

Red, white and blue is a common colour combination in use for flags around the world - and arranged as they are in the poster is specific to The Netherlands (or possible a draped French flag).

Are silly posts with silly jokes no longer permitted? Must have missed that change in forum rules.
Being an American, I have heard the national flag called the 'Red, white and blue', but it's not very common.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 14:24 (Ref:3775048)   #15
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Being an American, I have heard the national flag called the 'Red, white and blue', but it's not very common.
It's more of a French thing, I believe; the tricolour.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3775050)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I notice at previous events, there has been an emphasis of the stars too from COTA - does an international audience make a difference to whether the stars, or just the colours would be emphasised?

Old 19 Oct 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3775054)   #17
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Finally! As an American, I feel I am truly qualified as an expert on a topic!

To the flag part... "Star-Spangled Banner" is the national anthem. Sort of related to the flag, but in this context... nobody here would refer to the American flag as "Star-Spangled Banner". That would generate some odd looks. "Star and Stripes" would be the most common nickname. Some may use "Old Glory" as well, but technically that is in reference to a specific history example, and less commonly used as a general reference.

To the point in question which is the Red, White and Blue. In a typical Americentrism view, we only think of "Red, White and Blue" as "our" national colors and ignore the fact that other countries use the same colors as well. And this is clearly not a "American" issue. People of different nationalities see what they want or know. Such as what IMHO, is clearly "Red, White and Blue" American colors for the US GP as the Dutch flag! To be honest as I didn't know what the Dutch flag looked like, I initially didn't get the joke. If anything it seems that the color Orange is more iconic for me with respect to Max and the Dutch in general

Richard
Old 19 Oct 2017, 14:58 (Ref:3775058)   #18
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
If anything it seems that the color Orange is more iconic for me with respect to Max and the Dutch in general
In true Americentric style (great amalgamation - love it), shouldn't you think of Orange as iconic to a county famous for customising bikes?

How colours represent things is such a strange one in the world of sport, and F1 is one such example.

British Racing Green, Silver Arrows, Red Cars - all bring to mind a certain team or image. Perhaps Verstappen's future lies at McLaren for colour purposes?

I can see how the circuit promoters would only associate Red, White and Blue with being American (possible uniquely), but the rest of the world (I would imagine) may typically expect some stars in there somewhere to associate the imagery as being 'American'.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 16:09 (Ref:3775069)   #19
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
In true Americentric style (great amalgamation - love it), shouldn't you think of Orange as iconic to a county famous for customising bikes?
Haha. Yeah, but with our short attention span (the TV show about them has been off the air for about five years), we have already forgotten about Orange County Choppers!

Richard
Old 19 Oct 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3775078)   #20
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Finally! As an American, I feel I am truly qualified as an expert on a topic!

To the flag part... "Star-Spangled Banner" is the national anthem. Sort of related to the flag, but in this context... nobody here would refer to the American flag as "Star-Spangled Banner". That would generate some odd looks. "Star and Stripes" would be the most common nickname. Some may use "Old Glory" as well, but technically that is in reference to a specific history example, and less commonly used as a general reference.

To the point in question which is the Red, White and Blue. In a typical Americentrism view, we only think of "Red, White and Blue" as "our" national colors and ignore the fact that other countries use the same colors as well. And this is clearly not a "American" issue. People of different nationalities see what they want or know. Such as what IMHO, is clearly "Red, White and Blue" American colors for the US GP as the Dutch flag! To be honest as I didn't know what the Dutch flag looked like, I initially didn't get the joke. If anything it seems that the color Orange is more iconic for me with respect to Max and the Dutch in general

Richard
Yeah, I rarely hear anything but red, white and blue or stars and stripes. And often the stars and stripes is in contrast to the southern stars and bars. Star spangled banner to refer to the flag?? Haven't ever heard that in 40 years. I'm guessing the guys who did that red white and blue bargeboard wouldn't have a clue about it being another flag. And I'm with you about racing and football colors being more of the colors I think with countries than flags. And then I just wonder about Italy with red cars and blue football, and that took me a while to remember.

Quote:
Haha. Yeah, but with our short attention span (the TV show about them has been off the air for about five years), we have already forgotten about Orange County Choppers!

Richard
Well and we all figured out quickly their bikes were terrible and often had to be purchased by the network as no one wanted an 80k bike after they saw the 'workmanship' that went into them.
Old 20 Oct 2017, 08:30 (Ref:3775179)   #21
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Maybe your "co-workers" are Canadian, not American??

Quote:
Being an American, I have heard the national flag called the 'Red, white and blue'
Quote:
In a typical Americentrism view, we only think of "Red, White and Blue" as "our" national colors
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Yeah, I rarely hear anything but red, white and blue or stars and stripes. And often the stars and stripes is in contrast to the southern stars and bars. Star spangled banner to refer to the flag?? Haven't ever heard that in 40 years.
Now that we've had some real expert opinions, back to the US F1 GP.

Is the track going to favour the Ferrari or the Mercedes cars?
Old 20 Oct 2017, 08:52 (Ref:3775184)   #22
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I think the biggest factor here will be the weather. The track will suit the Ferrari, as it goes well at all tracks. The question mark will be over the Mercedes and its capricious nature.

Toto has admitted previously that they are turning up to events and just don't know whether they will go well. They don't expect any issues at COTA, and if so then Hamilton will be sat in the best car on the grid by a long distance. If the 'Diva' appears though, then we should go onwards to Mexico and see the championship battle continue - which can only be good for adding to the appeal of upcoming races.
Old 20 Oct 2017, 10:33 (Ref:3775198)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Maybe your "co-workers" are Canadian, not American??

Now that we've had some real expert opinions, back to the US F1 GP.

I actually said: "Being an American, I have heard the national flag called the 'Red, white and blue', but it's not very common."
Old 20 Oct 2017, 12:48 (Ref:3775230)   #24
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about that, and I always thought the colours used reflected the fact it was in Texas!
Old 20 Oct 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3775231)   #25
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If my memory serves me correctly the Mercedes does not like high temperatures, think Singapore and Malaysia so I expect Brazil of the upcoming GP's to be their most difficult.

Tags
cota, hartley, red bull, str, usgp