Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Jun 2018, 08:02 (Ref:3831574)   #601
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Again I can't fault RLM this year I think they were spot on again and I do love watching Studio Cam
Old 18 Jun 2018, 10:25 (Ref:3831599)   #602
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Nick is great and quite entertaining all around. Jim Roller never did that "Shea" shyte so let's leave the generalizations aside, please.

That said, Shea has improved greatly as a pit reporter over the years but it feels a little "forced" for her in the booth, like she's trying too hard to be something shes not.
Well, generalisations or not - every American series does it. IndyCar, NASCAR, IMSA, PWC. They all like to add that weird human personal touch to it. It's not a criticism, it's clearly a culture thing that works in the US - it just sounds very weird in Europe. Jim Roller never did it, but that's why he can be mentioned - exception to the rule.

I don't want to sound like I'm moaning about Shea - I think she's great. I like her work in the booth and pit lane. Maybe it does sound a little forced, but she is relatively early in her career, and she did start in the pit lane so I think that'll improve. I mean literally, that's the only thing I'm not a fan of - the need to find a personal touch to go into each story.

Jonny Palmer used to feel really forced as well, but he's really kinda found his style now - I REALLY like Jonnys ELMS commentary. Gemma Hattons input is nice too - she's extremely knowledgeable whilst also being very humble about it, which is a combination that we often don't get to see. I do miss Sam Collins input though - I know he's busy doing important things, but hopefully, we get him back next year.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3831607)   #603
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
As always a big thank you to radio le mans, with out you guys and girls the race would be much poorer.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 11:36 (Ref:3831609)   #604
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RLM a million times better than the clowns on Eurosport with their 6th form jokes and constant fawning over Alonso. IMO.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 11:43 (Ref:3831611)   #605
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
....... Sometimes you just have to enjoy it for what it is.
which is exactly how I view the RLM commentary.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3831612)   #606
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fully agree with the praise for Shea in the booth. Really enjoyed the Q were she was doing it. And nothing more needs to be said about Trussers simply a legend
Old 18 Jun 2018, 12:38 (Ref:3831623)   #607
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Well, generalisations or not - every American series does it. IndyCar, NASCAR, IMSA, PWC. They all like to add that weird human personal touch to it. It's not a criticism, it's clearly a culture thing that works in the US - it just sounds very weird in Europe. Jim Roller never did it, but that's why he can be mentioned - exception to the rule.
While Alan Bestwick and Mike Joy are the kings at this, it's far less profound than you make it seem and this is coming from someone that I hates the touchy, feely mindset. Half of the announcers of American series tend to be foreign commentators so perhaps it's the broadcast networks pushing this as the likes of MRN rarely do this.

Quote:
I don't want to sound like I'm moaning about Shea - I think she's great. I like her work in the booth and pit lane. Maybe it does sound a little forced, but she is relatively early in her career, and she did start in the pit lane so I think that'll improve. I mean literally, that's the only thing I'm not a fan of - the need to find a personal touch to go into each story.

Jonny Palmer used to feel really forced as well, but he's really kinda found his style now - I REALLY like Jonnys ELMS commentary. Gemma Hattons input is nice too - she's extremely knowledgeable whilst also being very humble about it, which is a combination that we often don't get to see. I do miss Sam Collins input though - I know he's busy doing important things, but hopefully, we get him back next year.
I miss Sam and Jim and Shea gets more criticism than she deserves at times, but she seems to really enjoy herself and brings the love and enthusiasm for the sport, which goes a long with me. And she generally know what she's talking about, which is miles better than other pure journalists trying to call a race
Old 18 Jun 2018, 14:07 (Ref:3831646)   #608
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm with you on the rants Adam, I find myself saying 'Give it a rest' far more often these days. It doesn't matter how much Hindy rants, he's not going to change anything other than his blood pressure. He needs to pack a few more chill pills..... Sometimes you just have to enjoy it for what it is.

Oh yes, the rants and barely acceptable production levels doesn’t stop me enjoying it generally.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 14:12 (Ref:3831650)   #609
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Oh yes, the rants and barely acceptable production levels doesn’t stop me enjoying it generally.
I laugh when I get blasted on volume by "trackside weather" spot or whatever sound bite comes blurting in!
Old 18 Jun 2018, 14:23 (Ref:3831655)   #610
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It wouldn’t be radio Le Mans if that didn’t happen. It is even better when they are so despatete to tell us the weather that someone crashing at Porsche Curves will
Just have to wait! It’s like a cliffhanger at the end of a bad soap.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3831659)   #611
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
OK. Seems a shame not to have it decided immediately after the race, particularly as I don't listen to MWM anyway.....
I don't want to get anybody in trouble for saying this but I stopped listening to MWM regularly when Marshall Pruett and Graham Goodwin's This Week in Sportscars podcast started to air. Plus the S365 DoubleStint is very good. Also listen Sportscar Unleashed still the week after IMSA races.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 14:45 (Ref:3831660)   #612
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
While Alan Bestwick and Mike Joy are the kings at this, it's far less profound than you make it seem and this is coming from someone that I hates the touchy, feely mindset. Half of the announcers of American series tend to be foreign commentators so perhaps it's the broadcast networks pushing this as the likes of MRN rarely do this.

I miss Sam and Jim and Shea gets more criticism than she deserves at times, but she seems to really enjoy herself and brings the love and enthusiasm for the sport, which goes a long with me. And she generally know what she's talking about, which is miles better than other pure journalists trying to call a race
I don't like the nitpicking myself. Leave that for the big corporate network guys. Radiolemans.com is excellent. I accept them for what they are and am grateful they are not going away anytime soon.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 17:04 (Ref:3831685)   #613
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'm not typing a full post on a phone but a mention should go to Nick Daman. He's absolutely brilliant. Yes he has a rant too but seems to know the limit. His pit reporting skills are fantastic and his grid walks at Creventic are often more popular than the racing. Huge fan of Nick.
I think the fact that the pit reports are short burts keeps the ranting in check Which makes him perfect for the role since he can still interject his out of left field witticisms...
Old 18 Jun 2018, 18:15 (Ref:3831702)   #614
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The 24hr wouldn't be the same without RLM, so I'm alway grateful for the content they provide for free all year round not just this last week.

However, things like the production qualities is something they really do need to look at, I had a laugh when John said he was enjoying listening on the nice stereo in his loaner Porsche as I've found their podcasts almost unlistenable on anything half decent. I know nothing about radio production but there must surely be some simple software filter to equalise the volume before they upload the files - it seems to be a problem that only they suffer with, and most of the other podcasts I listen to are just randomers with little more than a laptop and a microphone not a supposedly professional broadcast company.

In conclusion my highlight of RLM '18 was Shea trying to remember the brand name of the French assistance tractors, knowing only that it was similar to 'manatee'.

I shall be using the 'rlm10' discount code this week too...
Old 18 Jun 2018, 18:17 (Ref:3831703)   #615
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
"and we seem to have lost Nick...."

Old 18 Jun 2018, 18:20 (Ref:3831705)   #616
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
The 24hr wouldn't be the same without RLM, so I'm alway grateful for the content they provide for free all year round not just this last week.

However, things like the production qualities is something they really do need to look at, I had a laugh when John said he was enjoying listening on the nice stereo in his loaner Porsche as I've found their podcasts almost unlistenable on anything half decent. I know nothing about radio production but there must surely be some simple software filter to equalise the volume before they upload the files - it seems to be a problem that only they suffer with, and most of the other podcasts I listen to are just randomers with little more than a laptop and a microphone not a supposedly professional broadcast company.

In conclusion my highlight of RLM '18 was Shea trying to remember the brand name of the French assistance tractors, knowing only that it was similar to 'manatee'.

I shall be using the 'rlm10' discount code this week too...
I actually stopped listening to MWM on my headphones during runs because the sound volume hurt my ears at times. Other podcasts I have don't have that issue.

It's usable in my car, although it does tend to make my terrible speakers go a bit tinny.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 19:10 (Ref:3831723)   #617
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I used the discount today to get my silverstone tickets, saved us a tenner, but not sure why silverstone needs to apply a £3.50 admin fee to buy thier own tickets
Old 18 Jun 2018, 19:59 (Ref:3831744)   #618
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I used the discount today to get my silverstone tickets, saved us a tenner, but not sure why silverstone needs to apply a £3.50 admin fee to buy thier own tickets
Score!

I can't stand that garbage. Here's the cost for the ticket, please hit pay. Now you have a processing fee. Just add it to the damn cost of the ticket. I'll pay anyways!!
Old 18 Jun 2018, 20:37 (Ref:3831757)   #619
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
As I said at the time, I didn't pre-buy tickets to the Silverstone 24hrs due to the booking fee (a massive percentage on a single ticket) and then decided not to go at all on the day as the weather was poor, whereas I would have gone if I'd pre-paid (and spent money at the circuit).
Old 19 Jun 2018, 19:07 (Ref:3831952)   #620
supermario21
Racer

supermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsupermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I feel bad with some of my thoughts, but they need to be aired out. I think RLM has the best pit reporters/interviews of all the LM media. I think Paul Trusswell is the best analyst out there and pretty much talks about important details that only he really goes over.

Leena Gade is also really good, but that's to be expected.

But some of the negatives are so large that I struggle to listen, especially once the race at the top got out of hand...

If RLM needs a sponsor, Hindy should call up Alex Jones and Infowars. He sometimes puts out such conspiratorial and ridiculous comments it discredits the rest of the hard work the crew is doing. I mean him screaming for the Toyotas to get penalties after one of the safety cars in the first few hours was nuts. Cars were getting loads of warnings all race before any penalty and he starts screaming "stop go penalty, now!" It's unprofessional.

And enough with the F1 hatred. Like it or not, Alonso was generating a ton of fan attention, even with the lack of multiple factories at the top. So to all of those dissing F1, stop. Especially to an American, you either like NASCAR or you're likely into a combination of things that includes both WEC/IMSA and F1. Sure F1 can be boring, but was this year really the one to make that argument?

In short, I want Radio Le Mans. Not Radio Hindy. Not "Radio WEC is better than F1 and you're basically an idiot if you like F1."
Old 19 Jun 2018, 19:15 (Ref:3831953)   #621
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
The call for the penalty for running off the road was silly given we don't know what was said to the drivers regarding using that area of the track. Driver briefings often say which runoffs you may and may not use. We know the exit of the Porsche curves gets you pinged, but the sides of the track on Mulsanne and the run to Indy may well have been declared fair game by the stewards beforehand.
Old 19 Jun 2018, 20:42 (Ref:3831969)   #622
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
JH tends to dig in on a view which is fine on his podcast, it's inclined to irritate when you are trying to read a race that's underway. I also dislike the gushing-humour that's lavished on a race informing us how exciting it is. I like to decide myself whether a race is good or not. I know as a commentator he has to sell the race to a degree and he has his own enthusiasm of course but sometimes he can go OTT, IMO.

That said, RLM is an excellent production and I have no *big* complaints with it. I'll certainly not be too hard on a service that saves me from listening to a certain Eurosport commentator and of course its a strong service on its own terms.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 08:20 (Ref:3832038)   #623
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
but RLM *is* Radio Hindy. It's his ball and he can pick it up and walk off with it any time he wants.
Old 20 Jun 2018, 14:27 (Ref:3832108)   #624
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
True, but even he needs to listen to what he is saying and the image he is portraying now and again. Don't get me wrong, I like Hindy a lot - always have and he's come a very long way since 1989 and I would be devastated if we lost him and/or RLM at Le Mans but the blatant pro-Audi stance in the past contrasts starkly with the anti-Toyota (and F1) rants we have heard this year. I just wonder if he realises that it's all becoming just a bit boring - and even a little sad.....
Old 20 Jun 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3832155)   #625
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Hindy and his closest and dearest were crucial to the survival of RLM. Everyone appreciates that. One of the best things about Le Mans.

Doesn’t mean there aren’t elements that are above reasonable criticism.

Not quite the same thing (topic and severity), but Bernie stopped F1 imploding, got it on telly so we could watch it every other Sunday and was the instigator to massive safety improvements. He deserved some criticism though!

Those criticisms expressed here have generally been done in a reasonable, or light hearted, way. Often agreeing with Hindy in principle, but being annoyed by the manner.

As much as we can fairly critic a driver, or team, in the RLM thread we can point out the bits we enjoy or don’t.