Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 31 May 2016, 05:56 (Ref:3645969)   #1
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
New for 2016

Not seen anyone posting new purchases for 2016 yet so thought i would start this, every year we take a vast amount of stuff down and some of it is essential some of it frivolous, this is a light hearted thread so the sillier the better please.
So far this year new purchases include
A pack of ear plugs for sleeping in the camp site
Sun cream for the brilliant sunshine we are expecting
Sandals due to above

Still two weeks until i leave so looking for more stuff
Old 31 May 2016, 06:32 (Ref:3645978)   #2
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Without considering each other's accommodation choice, the most important things are IMO :
tickets (essential check when people leave, I'm sure), smartphone and its battery for radio and live timing, coffee, some money for the midnight merguez-frites, a warm cloth for the night, several home-made sandwiches. Then you can follow the whole race in good conditions.
Interesting but less important things : cameras, binoculars, sound recorder.

And of course, adapted clothes to the weather, but I won't say more about this.
Old 31 May 2016, 06:54 (Ref:3645982)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I love the idea of home made sandwiches, but for us not living close to the circuit they are a problem with the scorching weather we will have, first day ok, second day just about safe but not very appertizing, third day might cause a few trips to the facilities, forth day likely to require hospital, fifth day likely to cause death, by the sixth day sandwich will have developed into a life form capable of enjoying the race and probably snacking on other life forms

Still we could always make them freshly at the campsite each day as an alternative
Old 31 May 2016, 07:03 (Ref:3645986)   #4
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I love the idea of home made sandwiches, but for us not living close to the circuit they are a problem with the scorching weather we will have, first day ok, second day just about safe but not very appertizing, third day might cause a few trips to the facilities, forth day likely to require hospital, fifth day likely to cause death, by the sixth day sandwich will have developed into a life form capable of enjoying the race and probably snacking on other life forms

Still we could always make them freshly at the campsite each day as an alternative
Does cheese not survive ?
Old 31 May 2016, 07:29 (Ref:3645991)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Cheese improves, well perhaps not brie
Old 31 May 2016, 18:40 (Ref:3646110)   #6
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am bringing a rookie, does that count. Didn't buy him though, just invited him.
Old 31 May 2016, 19:34 (Ref:3646119)   #7
KlBD
Racer

KlBD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Without considering each other's accommodation choice, the most important things are IMO :
tickets (essential check when people leave, I'm sure), smartphone and its battery for radio and live timing, coffee, some money for the midnight merguez-frites, a warm cloth for the night, several home-made sandwiches. Then you can follow the whole race in good conditions.
Interesting but less important things : cameras, binoculars, sound recorder.

And of course, adapted clothes to the weather, but I won't say more about this.
Oh my, I didn't buy tickets beforehand on the advice that they'd be available at the gate, since I am arriving one week before the race. Was that a mistake on my part??
Old 31 May 2016, 19:47 (Ref:3646122)   #8
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Baseball cap with built in LED torch - a marshal's must have for the night shift !

to KIBD - general admission tickets will be available on the gate, but most Brits will need a campsite pass - which is best bought in advance, as are grandstand seat tickets.
Old 31 May 2016, 20:11 (Ref:3646132)   #9
Djcomix
Racer

European Union
Le mans
Djcomix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
help i can do

ah ah,
if i can help someone to get fresh food the third i'll be happy for him
Old 31 May 2016, 20:11 (Ref:3646133)   #10
KlBD
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
Baseball cap with built in LED torch - a marshal's must have for the night shift !

to KIBD - general admission tickets will be available on the gate, but most Brits will need a campsite pass - which is best bought in advance, as are grandstand seat tickets.
Thanks for that! First time not having such a major item before going to an event like this...peace of mind is a pretty invaluable thing haha
Old 31 May 2016, 20:12 (Ref:3646135)   #11
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
No problem with GE's but camping tickets or accommodation must be sorted out before you get there, although the aco may have some returns available if you get there early
Old 31 May 2016, 20:33 (Ref:3646144)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
New purchaes eh? Not a lot for me.

I have a new (old) lens - a large Sigma (that's why I'm bringing my son - to carry it for me.... ) and a nice new monopod. Neither of which saw any action at Silverstone - I was too lazy......

Other than those, my kit is much the same as last year.
Old 31 May 2016, 20:47 (Ref:3646151)   #13
KlBD
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
No problem with GE's but camping tickets or accommodation must be sorted out before you get there, although the aco may have some returns available if you get there early
Definitely true about accomodations. I haven't camped before and I didn't particularly want my first experience to be a whole week in another country, so I opted for an airbnb near to the circuit for my first 24h
Old 1 Jun 2016, 09:10 (Ref:3646257)   #14
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
I am bringing a rookie, does that count. Didn't buy him though, just invited him.
Bringing Rookies is an under-estimated thing. It gets you out of any ruts/routines you've fallen into and you have the fun of showing them all The Best Bits.

My new kit for this year is:

A half-decent Petzl headtorch to replace a cheap generic one.

Some new lightweight walking boots.

An ill advised purchase of a straw hat.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 09:53 (Ref:3646268)   #15
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
i could do with a new hat. My one has done quite a few le mans now and just like me it has seen better days
Old 1 Jun 2016, 10:14 (Ref:3646270)   #16
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlBD View Post
Thanks for that! First time not having such a major item before going to an event like this...peace of mind is a pretty invaluable thing haha
Sorry if I provoked any trouble. Yes of course tickets "enceintes générales" are available in all entrance gates. keep in mind that you will have to queue more or less, depending on the time you arrive.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 17:00 (Ref:3646362)   #17
Mikelancs
Rookie

Mikelancs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A new jacket - just in case you know.
I expect a new hat when at the circuit other than that don't need anything else

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
Old 1 Jun 2016, 17:32 (Ref:3646372)   #18
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelancs View Post
A new jacket - just in case you know.
I expect a new hat when at the circuit other than that don't need anything else

until a couple of years ago there was always some company handing out free caps/hats still have a few from many years ago including a marlboro one so you know how old that is.
Old 1 Jun 2016, 17:36 (Ref:3646373)   #19
Mikelancs
Rookie

Mikelancs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Normally get one anyway being a porsche and rebellion fan I try to pick up the latest one

Old 1 Jun 2016, 19:45 (Ref:3646414)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Bringing Rookies is an under-estimated thing. It gets you out of any ruts/routines you've fallen into and you have the fun of showing them all The Best Bits.
Of course! I'd forgotten that I'm bringing a rookie too. My stepson Toby (who will eat all the food at the meeting, provided it's healthy...... ).
Old 2 Jun 2016, 06:05 (Ref:3646489)   #21
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
no chance Andrew, he will be to busy sampling the strange drinks
Old 2 Jun 2016, 11:35 (Ref:3646544)   #22
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A Bluetooth speaker for the living room, well it beat's listening to RLM via my phone....
Old 2 Jun 2016, 13:28 (Ref:3646563)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
A Bluetooth speaker for the living room, well it beat's listening to RLM via my phone....
Lets hope your new for 2017 is a race ticket, been a few years now be good to see you there
Old 2 Jun 2016, 14:54 (Ref:3646577)   #24
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
No more flying gazebos this year!

Old 2 Jun 2016, 17:13 (Ref:3646605)   #25
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
what the hell is that Vince, looks like you are drilling for shale gas