Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Dec 2002, 14:36 (Ref:454252)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Will Hoy

This was posted in the Touring Car forum but since Will was a sucessful Sportscar racer as well it's worth repeating here.

Quote:
From Doug Nye (courtesy of AtlasF1):
"It's so sad - especially at this time of year - Will Hoy passed away last night, having developed an inoperable brain tumour whose symptoms first manifested themselves seriously during the Goodwood Revival meeting in September. In many ways you couldn't have wished to meet a nicer guy..."
Little more that I can add. Will was one of the 'nice guys', something there's all too few of these days and motorsport will be poorer for his loss.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 17:34 (Ref:454361)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's dreadful, dreadful news. Will was indeed one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet on a race track - or indeed anywhere.

He's going to be dreadfully missed. God bless you, Will.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 17:37 (Ref:454363)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for that redshoes, I hadn't heard and it really is very sad. I remember watching Will, not only in sportscars but also in the BTCC. If I remember rightly though, I first saw him though in Sports 1600 (or whatever it was called).

I particularly remember Le Mans in 1990 when, due to Jonathan Palmer's shunt in the Joest Porsche, Will was bumped from the team and spent the weekend as an ad hoc commentator for Radio Le Mans. He was very entertaining to listen to, but the funniest bit was when he and Ian Titchmarsh were obviously getting very fed up with the constant chuntering (and interrupting) of Martin Haven!

We'll definitely miss him - a very talented driver and a knowledgeable and witty man. My condolences to his family and friends.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 17:46 (Ref:454371)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very sad news. RIP
Old 20 Dec 2002, 17:51 (Ref:454375)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very sad indeed. Will helped me enormously in many ways early in my career as a motor racing artist. A true gent.
We used to spend many a late evening in his office in Huntingdon putting together sponsorship proposals. He would be photocopying like mad and I would be doing quick artists impressions of the thundersports car in various liveries.
A fantastic racing driver, he was so quick in his Reid Wines Chamberlain Mallock. My payment for helping out was a few laps around Snett in the clubmans car.Will had no money then but I was pleased that he did eventually make a good living from the sport. He will be missed enormously.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 19:08 (Ref:454427)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was too young. That is very sad news. I met him at Le Mans 2000 and he was a gracious and friendly man and pleased to hear I'd seen him in touring cars -- almost as if he didn't expect anyone would have remembered him.

He will be missed but never forgotten.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 19:57 (Ref:454461)   #7
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both my parents were shocked to hear this news, my Mother was very fond of him and my dad was also saddened by his death with both describing him as a tremendously nice person.

Sounds like we've lost a great man.