Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2000, 17:21 (Ref:41478)   #1
JensonF1
Rookie

JensonF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I belive Jenson will be a true great. I will spell out the ingredients that make him great -

1. Technical ability. Useful in qualifying. Helps him setup the car better than Ralf.

2. Racing inteligence. Useful for battling Ralf and staying out of trouble. Jenson (despite the run-ins with Trulli) has had a very safe first season, unlike Ralf when he was all over the place at Jordan.

3. Racing ability. Jenson is a good racer, knows how to position the car best during a race and over takes agressivly like Mansell and Senna.

4. Skill. Jenson is fast. Turns in early, exits the corner quickly. Driving style simerlar to Michael Schumacher. Has the agression of Mansell.

5. Attitude. Jenson is comitted, young and with no distractions since he chucked Kim.

6. Mental strength. Jenson has handled the media perfectly. He is confident, good looking and quite witty.

7. Age. Jenson is only 20! He has at least 15 years in F1 left.

8. His team. Benetton Renault will be a force to be reckoned with. The mighty Williams will be there for him to bounce back on if Montoya or Ralf fail to impress. Jordan, Jaguar and BAR are also interested. One of these teams (especially Williams or Benetton under Flavio) will be a serious threat to Ferrari and McLaren.

9. Bright future. As well as being young, McLaren and Ferrari have quite old drivers and will need to replace them soon. OK, Coulthard is quite young, but also **** .

10. GO JENSON!

For more reasons see JensonF1.com

Old 6 Oct 2000, 18:53 (Ref:41492)   #2
zetta
Racer

zetta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How old are you? Are you a fan of the Spice Girls too? Do you think that Britney Spears is better than the Beatles?
Old 6 Oct 2000, 18:59 (Ref:41494)   #3
Blackjack
Rookie

Blackjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

JensonF1, You need your head examined!
Old 6 Oct 2000, 19:01 (Ref:41495)   #4
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson

There is no doubt at all that Jenson Button has proved him self this year.
He has certainly given Ralf a run for his money, who when he first started in F1 was surposed to be quicker than Schumacher Senior.
I think Jenson will fall into the no1 driver slot at Bennetton.
Old 6 Oct 2000, 22:25 (Ref:41525)   #5
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't say that young Jenson IS as good as Senna. But I reckon that he COULD be. Especially if he continues to build on the stunning start he has made in F1.

I suspect that next year will be a real telling time, and we will see his true potential begin to emerge.
Old 6 Oct 2000, 23:00 (Ref:41531)   #6
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First reaction to seeing this topic: WHAT?????

Second reaction: No. Absolutely not.

Although I'm fast becoming a fan of young mr. Button, he definitely has to prove a lot before he can be mentioned in that category. That the boy has talent is beyond doubt. But give him some time! He will at least have to drive in F1 for a few years (more than one!) before we can assess how he ranks versus the all-time best drivers.
Old 6 Oct 2000, 23:59 (Ref:41550)   #7
Dhru
Rookie

Dhru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Helloooooooooooooo! What!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which planet are you living on? Jenson is good, no doubt about that, but so was Alex Wurz in his first season. You could say the same about Mazacanne being able to keep Mika behind him while running 3rd in a Minardi on an alien track. They are all talented drivers, but some are better than others, and I don't think Jenson has proved himself yet. He may have outqualified Ralf a few times, but I don't believe he has out raced him, and he has made rookie errors like in Monza and Spa. Everyone seems to be soo hyped up about him, esp. Murray Walker and Martin Brundle. Oh and three-quarters of the British press. We should wait and see before making any preditions/assumtions.
Dhru.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 01:59 (Ref:41558)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.......

[thunk], EERO dies laughing.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 02:55 (Ref:41562)   #9
ang
Rookie

ang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this a trick question ?

Does Jenson deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Senna ????........

Lets see.. come back to me after Jenson wins the World Championship 3 times.. and makes the record for the most number of pole positions by one driver ever.

ROFL
Old 7 Oct 2000, 03:41 (Ref:41565)   #10
chow wei hsien
Rookie

chow wei hsien should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmm..... over rated by the british media, he is good but over rated
Old 7 Oct 2000, 03:43 (Ref:41566)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry. Jensen Button is not even as good as Fisi. He will never, ever be as good as Senna, and I don't normally take up for Senna - except that I do believe he was something mystical as a pilot.

Button Spice will never be mentioned in the same breath as Ayrton Senna da Silva except possibly as Eero mentioned him above.

No. Never. Not even.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 08:15 (Ref:41595)   #12
Blackjack
Rookie

Blackjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Your statement that Button will be truly great has been said about other current F1 drivers, e.g., Frentzen, Alesi. Greatness has failed to materialize for these drivers for one simple reason: They never had a car that could complete on the same level as the front runners, McLaren, Williams and Benneton . Their driving skills were just as good, but the difference was the car.

In my opinion, Fisichella, Zonta, or any of the other young drivers would have performed equally as well in the BMW seat. With one or two exceptions, the talent in F1 is equal, the exceptions being Sch-me and perhaps Hakkinen. Ask yourself if Sch-me would have won two championships had he remained with Jordon and not jumped to Benneton.

The F1 driver is among the best in the world, however, he will only achieve greatness when his car is equal to the task.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 10:23 (Ref:41603)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Wrong Title

The title of this thread has raised the hackles of some, and the mirth of others. Pity, because young Bunsen is the hot tip of next year. His improvement during this year has astounded me, and his ability to qualify so high in the last few races has opened my eyes to this young driver. No doubt, Bunsen will be a great driver in the not too distant future. However, it is absurd to compare him with a great driver of another era, simply because it is not possible. Nevertheless, I will not laugh at the exhuberance of our new comerade in this forum - welcome young man, and stay to enjoy some good discussions in an insult free forum. However, don't count your bridges before your chickens are crossed. Try not to irritate those who have been here much longer, and possibly hold themselves to be wiser than you. One last thought, if that Benneton fails to deliver next year, poor Bunsen will feel the heat like a real burner.
I want to see Bunsen succeed, and like some others here, I also think that Frank made a big mistake in letting Bunsen go next year because he has proven such a good team mate for Ralf. We shall all wait and see. P.S. Don't forget that Jacques very nearly won his very first race in F1!!
Old 7 Oct 2000, 12:16 (Ref:41623)   #14
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button is one of the most exciting youngster ever emerged in F1. But he is not even up to DC or Frentzen's calibre yet. We'll talk about it when he's actually done that.

One can start the race but can he last the pace?
Old 7 Oct 2000, 15:18 (Ref:41640)   #15
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like many others, I did nothing but laugh when I saw this topic.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 18:08 (Ref:41647)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like Button too, and think he can be a great racer in the future... But this topic got me a feeling...
The way you clearly explained the reasons make me think :
ARE YOU Jenson Button ????????????????
Old 7 Oct 2000, 18:18 (Ref:41650)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I critisized the idea of a 20 year old in Formula One last Spring. I take it all back!

This "Jensen Button" is really sensational. I see very big things for him in the future. If he got a good drive, watch out!

Frank Williams is making a BIG mistake taking MOntoya. I have seen both race live in person, and on TV and they are very similar in their ability to throw the car allover the place to get a fast lap. The difference is, is that Montoya is doing this in Cart hitting walls or someone else frequently. Button is doing it in Formula One (a lot harder), and making fewer mistakes. Granted, he has made some. But, fewer than Montoya in Cart in the last two years.

While I am sure Montoya will do better than Zanardi (not hard), I think he will crash frequently, and not do nearly as well as Jensen would have in next years BMW.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 19:17 (Ref:41661)   #18
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by zetta
How old are you? Are you a fan of the Spice Girls too? Do you think that Britney Spears is better than the Beatles?
the spice girls:

Five young British women known as the Spice Girls have taken the world by storm with their infectious pop music and brash attitude, dubbed "girl power" by the group members -- a combination of sexiness, confidence, strength and individuality

its a mistake to compare a solo artist like britney with a group musical act like the beatles.

comparing button to senna will also be difficult no matter what sort of carrer highlights jenson achieves.

the formula 1 car of today is so radically different then those of senna day.

personally i hope jenson can use his great spot on the suzuka grid to find a way on to the podium.

and i shall shed a sentimenal tear for the great one when jenson does become wdc.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 19:39 (Ref:41665)   #19
JensonF1
Rookie

Senna, Spice Girls, Beatles

I really regret looking like a teeny-bopper. Jenson has the pontential to be as good as Senna. Off course he isn't at the moment - this is not what I meant. Jenson is only 20 and has years to improve.

And I hate modern pop music. I love the Beatles, I love Senna, why can't you just admit that Jenson has got what it takes? I lot of people agree with me, just look at the forum on JensonF1.com
Jenson will be a future world champion and he will have a long career in which he may end up being talked about in the same sentence of the great Ayrton Senna.
What gets me is, great as Senna was, people's view has been coloured because of his tragic death. Like John Lennon, people look to these 'legends' and tag them as 'Gods' because they died at the height of their fame. Senna was a talented racing driver and a strong character but he is not a God. Lennon was the most creative and talented musician who ever lived, but if he was alive today maybe he would get the micky taken out of him like Paul McCartney does. Let it be no insult to the memory of Senna, but in the future there will be even better racing drivers and Jenson could be one of them, although he has a long way to go to get there.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 19:58 (Ref:41666)   #20
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Senna, Spice Girls, Beatles

Quote:
Originally posted by JensonF1
just look at the forum on JensonF1.com
There's something wrong with that link. I get a yellow flag when I click it.

Old 7 Oct 2000, 20:01 (Ref:41667)   #21
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by JensonF1
1. Technical ability. Useful in qualifying. Helps him setup the car better than Ralf.

2. Racing inteligence. Useful for battling Ralf and staying out of trouble. Jenson (despite the run-ins with Trulli) has had a very safe first season, unlike Ralf when he was all over the place at Jordan.

Ahem? Better setup? What-ever!

And as for battling Ralf...is this the same Ralf who has over twice as many points as him?

You need your head reading mate...Jenson doesn't just have a long way to go - he has a loooooooooooong way to go.

Are you Jenson Button or Jenson Button's father, the famous John Button Holier Than Thou?
Old 7 Oct 2000, 21:14 (Ref:41679)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can agree with you in many things, Jenson. But you made a mistake with comparisions. As we discussed often here in past topics, it is not a good choice compare current drivers with the past ones. Even close as 6 years between the F1 that Senna and Mansell knew. I think it is OK comparing with his team mate and the others on the field, but still, it is so early to make such predictions. I have been around too long to make such thing. There are a big list of "New Senna"'s, and many of them are selling cars now ( ).
My hopes goes for any driver that shows skills of a champion, and for now I see Button has a star. But let's not put the guy so high that he might think he already made it.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 21:57 (Ref:41683)   #23
JensonF1
Rookie

The link

This should work - http://www.jensonf1.com
Old 7 Oct 2000, 22:39 (Ref:41690)   #24
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Wrong Nick

JensonF1, I sincerely think you have the wrong nick. This makes the others here think you are Bunsen, which you are not, or his father , which I don't think you are. I see you have already softened your prediction, which is more in line with the other guys here. Perhaps you could change your nick to Bunsen - then we all know your flaming passion for this young driver without (unfortunately and unwittingly) pretending to be him. Senna was not god, he certainly made some stupid mistakes, but when he drove well, ........... what can anyone say? He was truly gifted.
Old 7 Oct 2000, 23:00 (Ref:41697)   #25
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once upon a time there was a young racing driver who after much success in Karts but only 2 years in car racing caught the eye of the F1 World. After testing for a couple of different teams he went to test for one of the top teams who liked him so much they replaced an experienced indy car champion with him, whilst he was still only 19. He knew none of the tracks and little about F1 and his arrival in the sport attracted much criticism from the sports grandees.

Despite his lack of experience he soon proved that he was able to master the car and learn the tracks quickly. His driving was sensational and although his lack of experience some times showed in the races He finished regularly in the points. and in the first 16 races he outqualified his vastly more experienced team mate 6 times and was on occasion best of the rest after the top two teams.

At the end of his first year he had a number of points on the board, was highly regarded by his team, and although he had to leave them to make way for another hotshoe. he had a contract for another factory team in his pocket, and all those who criticised his arrival now agree he deserves his place in F1.
------------------------------------------------------------

If had been the plot for Stallones film it would have been branded as incredible nonsense, but it is what we have just seen this year. It is true that at this moment in time his talent outweighs his experience. It is true that he has much still to learn. If he learns his lessons well though he will mature into a very very good driver.

Personally I hope that Jenson does go on to be one of the greats, he certainly has the potential to.

Comparing a 1st year rookie, to a three time WDC doesn't make a lot of sense though. Anymore than comparing Senna to Fangio would.