Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Dec 2004, 10:26 (Ref:1172137)   #1
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring them together - PLEASE

Reading the threads about the JGTC, DP, FIA Gt, & ALmS all viaing for a slice of the GT action.

Does anybody else find it depressing that the various organisations do not sit down & come up with a common set of rules that could unifiy rather than divide?

This need not happen in one year, but over a couple, in fact however long it takes.

I understand that this soloution is very simplistic & about as likely as a settlement in the middle east, To many people would stand to lose a) power b) money, but can you imagine the line up of cars. If all the current makers remained commited and agreed on a 'pathway to peace'.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 13:45 (Ref:1172293)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wise sage Homer, he say,

"Mmmmmmm Consistency.........."

Old 6 Dec 2004, 14:11 (Ref:1172346)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
To many people would stand to lose a) power b) money.
I think we have a Nail/Head Interface here.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 16:06 (Ref:1172515)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to agree with you Nordic it makes a standard set of rules would make a good idea. Remember that the FIA and the ACO have a standard set of rules.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 16:16 (Ref:1172529)   #5
eddsc
Racer

eddsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose it's the same reason there was an FIA GT Ch'ship and then a separate ISRS/SRWC/FIASCC - and the two wouldn't come together.
Oddly, on the day the ACO releases its 2005 regs. (with some ACO specific items), SRO's Stephane Ratel announced an association with the JGTC.
DP manufacturers are not allowed to run their cars in other series.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 18:07 (Ref:1172627)   #6
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephane Ratel seems to have his finger in many pies, could he be working towards a common set of rules? maybe harmony is just round the corner.

It would have to make sence to the car companies, one of the major problems cited of the small grids is cost, it must be more viable to make a car that is welcome anywhere rather than just one area.

We do not need to think back that far to find a time when car like the 935 or M1 could race in just about any country in the world. While the IMSA rules where different from the CSI or FIA, the basics where near enough the same to allow the cars to compete togeather, (and they looked and sounded great).
Old 6 Dec 2004, 18:47 (Ref:1172685)   #7
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont see anywhere that says DP owners cant run their cars in other series...other than the fact that there is no where to run them...
Old 6 Dec 2004, 21:06 (Ref:1172813)   #8
eddsc
Racer

eddsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're right though, it doesn't actually say it anywhere, but an entrant would need the support of a manufacturer, wouldn't he? They're very different beasts, but an MC12 and a DP are both non-homologated cars, aren't they?
Old 6 Dec 2004, 22:02 (Ref:1172880)   #9
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
I dont see why the manufacturer wouldnt want to be known worldwide...

For instance...lets say I own a DP, I want to make it LMP2 spec and fit components as such...

I go out and win a race...dont you think the chassis builder would be proud of that...

Im sure officially the project would be frowned upon...but everyone wants to be a winner...

I dont think GA has a say in what you do with your car afterall

Last edited by billnchristy; 6 Dec 2004 at 22:03.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 23:30 (Ref:1172932)   #10
vs346
Racer

Greenland
vs346 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how much would it cost to change a DP into an LMP2 spec car? probably too much, and it would be so difficult, you'd be better off just buying a Lola and evolutionizing it yourself. would be interesting what the thing would look like though.
Old 7 Dec 2004, 00:11 (Ref:1172960)   #11
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
well the rules match up physical proportion wise...but...

The Dp is way too heavy for LM2, the only DP engine legal would be a porsche flat 6...

I think the only thing you would have on the rest of the field would be about 2000% more reliability!
Old 7 Dec 2004, 01:46 (Ref:1172999)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
everyone wants unity, in open wheel and sportcars.... at least where it fits..
in North america, and europe, Pacific rim....

JGTC being an anomoly of "GTness". it arose as the Japan National battle ground for Japanese racers...and their cars.
As speed GT ro better Trans-Am came up as the US/Northamerican Battle field.

so no need really to blend all these- but splintergroups (touring car most obvious- superproduction, super2000, WtCC) and Endurance Prototypes and GT cars (ALMS,FIA GT Grand_AM,LMES)these are all variations of the same game and only broke apart to satisfy promoter and local power groups it seems (LMES/ALMS-ELMS was a geogrphical nitemare to maintain one point series though)
Old 7 Dec 2004, 03:40 (Ref:1173034)   #13
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
I think the best choice for joining forces...at least for LMES/ALMS and an asian series (though I dont think there would be enough interest unless it was just JGTC as GT1 and 2). would be to offer double points for the cross-pollinated rounds and the team with the most points would be "world champ"...or as stated before invite the top 5 teams from each class and series to a race track and have a championship deciding event...

To think they would all comply though seems unrealistic because some peoples heads would never fit in a race hemet!
Old 7 Dec 2004, 05:43 (Ref:1173075)   #14
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the only car that races all across GrandAm, FIA GT, ALMS, LMES and JGTC with some success is the Porsche 911 GT3 RSR.

I guess at the GT2 level it is probable to unite them all; with some more effort, GT1 is possible as well.

But prototypes will be lots of hard work and probably no one will want the job.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 03:12 (Ref:1174022)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
I think the only car that races all across GrandAm, FIA GT, ALMS, LMES and JGTC with some success is the Porsche 911 GT3 RSR.

I guess at the GT2 level it is probable to unite them all.
And as GARRA found out to their dismay, a race-tuned and prepared Porsche 911 GT3 RSR can beat their DP tronmobiles as if they are standing still.

Since that cannot be allowed (to the point where a 24 hour race had to be red flagged for five hours to preserve the frail DPs -- and THEN they nearly got beat), I can't imagine that happening.

It's kind of like the idea that all Christians believe there ought to be one Universal Church Triumphant -- but nobody can agree on which church it ought to be.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 04:39 (Ref:1174052)   #16
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You start at the bottom (GT2), and work your way up. Get a small class GT3 for 911 GT3 Cups. 360 Cup's, and the like not, and you can really start something. When everything is set up, you have rules that should please everyone.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 02:30 (Ref:1174924)   #17
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this can go on forever, what really is the trouble is it money?
ah the human condition
Old 9 Dec 2004, 03:00 (Ref:1174936)   #18
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
Actually Liz, the RSR never was nor will be approved for competition in Grand Am, so no, no one has learned that yet...(DPs still 3 seconds faster anyways)...

Interesting development since were talking Porsches...

GA has allowed Variable Valve Timing on the Porsche powered DPs next year in hopes of upping the little 6s grunt and also lowered weight 25lbs.

The change has supposedly upped torque where the car needed it...down low...

Dont forget, those that cry for more power, that the Fabcar has consistantly had the highest trap speeds...the little 6 can definitely wind it out, and now it should be able to get out of the turns better too!
Old 9 Dec 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1175376)   #19
richmini99
Racer

United States
Turners Falls MA, USA
richmini99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not crazy about the idea of unification. I LIKE that there are differences between the Grand Am/ALMS/SWC/BTCC/etc. . It makes for more road racing to follow during the course of a year. As Liz touched on earlier; it's impossible to get everyone to agree on one standard anyways. Besides; I don't think sportscar/road racing would be any more compelling. Has the growth of NASCAR and F1 made for better racing?
Old 9 Dec 2004, 18:19 (Ref:1175503)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmini99
Has the growth of NASCAR and F1 made for better racing?

Completely different growth, surely? (If you can call what has occurred in F1 "growth"........)
Old 9 Dec 2004, 19:01 (Ref:1175532)   #21
richmini99
Racer

United States
Turners Falls MA, USA
richmini99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is sort of the point I was trying to make. Growth of that magnitude will gives us something we don't necessarily want. As long as the series I follow are able to stand on there own I'm happy. My view is admittedly a little selfish because I'm looking at this as a fan. I'm sure I was in the business of motorsports my answer might be a little different.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 21:32 (Ref:1175653)   #22
GT1
Racer

GT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz
And as GARRA found out to their dismay, a race-tuned and prepared Porsche 911 GT3 RSR can beat their DP tronmobiles as if they are standing still.

Since that cannot be allowed (to the point where a 24 hour race had to be red flagged for five hours to preserve the frail DPs -- and THEN they nearly got beat), I can't imagine that happening.

It's kind of like the idea that all Christians believe there ought to be one Universal Church Triumphant -- but nobody can agree on which church it ought to be.
Yea, I like the DPs but there is and will always be that part of you that knows that Grand Am had to SEVERELY restrict and eventually eliminate most of their classes in order for the DP to look fast. On speed they were usually matched by the GTS/AGT cars and were not as reliable as the GT cars.

When a series has to restrict a GT Porsche because of the "threat" it has to the top class, that can't make the top class look great.

I also am sore about the 03 Rolex 24, it was like the 54 won an extra long sprint race and not the 24 they either red flagged or ran so much under caution.

Sports car racing has always been so poltically motivated and everyone gets their way. The fans get confused because this class or that class or whatever and go away.

When the IRL/CART war started, fans and sponsors of respective series stuck it out for a while but when it became apparent that the spilt was here to stay and both sides were acting like children, they left and left in huge numbers. Perhaps thats why Toyota and Chevy bashed the IRL in recent weeks about the exposure vs cost thing and CCWS/OWRS (or whatever other name they have) has virtually no exposure.

The point is, the fans, particurally the viewer who just wants to sit down and watch a race, doesn't see the point and/or gets tired of the endless bickering, most of the time over things the fans themselves could care less about. And they leave.