Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jul 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1345917)   #1
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Sam Michael Good Enough??

Just thought I'd start a thread on Sam Michael as I was wondering what people thought of him. It seems to me that he's not as good as first thought going on the pace of the Williams cars at the moment. Both cars as I speak are a lowly 13th and 14th in the French Grand Prix. There so called aero gains seems to have made them go backwards rather than forwards.

I for one am extremely disappointed in the lack of pace this weekend. Both drivers are struggling badly with a lack of pace and I would imagine now that BMW have jumped ship there would be some worried people at Williams at the moment.

Any thoughts??
Old 3 Jul 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1345919)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My main thought is, we are in the middle of the race Kimi is just about to come at around Michael and Juan Pablo and the main concern is over Sam Michael as a technical director. Are you struggling for live TV in Australia at the moment?

One for tomorrow I reckon...
Old 3 Jul 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1345923)   #3
Scott75
Veteran

Well I'm just disappointed with there speed during this race. I'm watching the live timing and I thought I should start a thread as I'm very frustrated with there lack of speed. I don't expect people to look at this thread til later anyway, no harm in starting the thread now though.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1345935)   #4
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
My main thought is, we are in the middle of the race Kimi is just about to come at around Michael and Juan Pablo and the main concern is over Sam Michael as a technical director. Are you struggling for live TV in Australia at the moment?

One for tomorrow I reckon...
Put it this way, Adam. It's 46 laps into the race. Fernando is on his way to a seemingly easy win.

Here in Melbourne Australia, watching it on Network Ten, we're on the parade lap.

And they're pretending we don't have access to the Internet.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1345936)   #5
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THey need a new car. Not just one new person.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1345956)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A new engine might be nice also... that wish can (and will?) be granted....

If the driver is slinging mud at the engine things cant be good in Frankland...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 Jul 2005, 14:09 (Ref:1345994)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sam Michael does not design the car, and one man does not make a team.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1346005)   #8
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
But one man can certainly help a team make giant leaps. Mike Gascoyne and Geoff Willis come to mind.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 14:30 (Ref:1346008)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
IMHO I do not think William's problems have any thing to do with Sam Michael, they need Cosworth power.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1346022)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
But one man can certainly help a team make giant leaps. Mike Gascoyne and Geoff Willis come to mind.

Both these men are designers Sam Michael isn't iirc.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1346026)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As soon as Sam Michael took overall responsibility for Williams' efforts at the race meeting itself, the succession of disqualifications started, and the team seemed to lose its knack of finding the right setup. Also, the problem of starting the season off-pace and always having to come from behind seems to have only started since Sam emerged in the team. I really don't rate the guy very hgihly, and his presence seems to be an unsettling factor
Old 3 Jul 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1346031)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Williams need a more fundamental rethink than just replacing Sam Michael. They need a long-term engine deal, they need two drivers on reasonably long-term contracts, and they need to make decisions about the future leadership of the team, given the ages of Sir Frank Williams and Patrick Head.

Sign up with Cosworth and go with Webber/Button? Might be the answer. Who knows?
Old 3 Jul 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1346071)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Don't forget the deteriorating relationship with BMW. We may only have heard about it in public fairly recently, but it must have been developing behind the scenes for much longer, probably since about the time Sam Michael took over.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 16:38 (Ref:1346102)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is it not Gavin Fisher who leads the design team?

Sam Michael just sets objectives for design, he doesn't actually design it himself. So perhaps his leadership can be questioned. But it's early days, he'll come good.

Williams can design a good car, we only have to go back to 2003 for that.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1346197)   #15
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
Agreed - you need someone who can knit the whole deal together. Williams just don't seem to have someone with that quality.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 19:12 (Ref:1346239)   #16
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
I agree. It's a team effort these days. They were talking/suggesting today, that the problem may be power related (or lack thereof) While the BMTroubleyou may be ultimately powerful, it may not have it's power in the right place, might be too peaky?

It's all supposition.

What ever, the car combination isn't working at the moment.

And yes, I think the idea of a Williams Cosworth would be great for 2006. Maybe another manufacturer could be encouraged to badge the engine - how about Chevy?

Rob.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1346241)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Patrick Head.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1346287)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Patrick Head, Frank Williams and Herr Doktor Theissen are the main problems for Williams.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1346401)   #19
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes he is, he is not as old as most people in his shoes but, I dont think Williams difficulties are anything to do with him.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1346408)   #20
hobophobic
Rookie

hobophobic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes he is good enough he just needs a bit more time,when you start making back room changes i think you have to give things awhile to settle down. A good example of this was Ford taking over Stewart and making sweeping personnel changes and then sacking people after a few races when things didnt go right and look what happened to them, (read Jaguar) they went under.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1346412)   #21
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its Gavin Fisher thats the problem not Sam Michael.
How long has Gavin Fisher been the designer?
Old 4 Jul 2005, 01:02 (Ref:1346468)   #22
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are we talking about the same team that came 2nd and 3rd at Monaco? Seems to me that the chassis is not too bad and that the "pit wall" team are doing OK (made the call to bring NH in etc). The last couple of races have been a result of the other teams doing a better job - McLaren and Ferrari are getting their act together so Williams really are the 5th maybe 6th best combination out there. Goes to prove what a good job the team and drivers did in the early part of the season when the other teams were giving away points.

The problem for Williams is available for all too see, it's in the live timing data should you care to look.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 01:23 (Ref:1346473)   #23
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft
The problem for Williams is available for all too see, it's in the live timing data should you care to look.
Stop being smug and tell us your theory.
Oh, wait, it's all Webber's fault, am I right?
Old 4 Jul 2005, 02:54 (Ref:1346505)   #24
DannyG
Racer

Australia
Tasmania, Australia :)
DannyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft

Lack of power perhaps?

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"
Old 4 Jul 2005, 03:21 (Ref:1346514)   #25
Scott75
Veteran

Well it's getting very tense at Williams now, look at the comments coming from Dr.Theison, very attacking against Williams. The sooner he and BMW have left the better for Williams. You can't get results with all of this infighting. One wonder whether they will go back to aero package that was on the car prior to France.