AUSRSR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
AUSRSR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Qualifying is fine as is (not the dream exactly) so the extra set of tyres is a good idea.

Make Q3 a fifteen minute session with unlimited tyres, that'd be a tweak I'd make.
Agreed, best possible solution for the time being. Although would anyone bother chasing the Red Bulls?
Old 22 May 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2883791)   #52
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Come on guys! Spain just got interesting!
Old 22 May 2011, 10:29 (Ref:2883834)   #53
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't miss to join 10 Tenth Chatroom for the action from Barcelona

Old 22 May 2011, 10:53 (Ref:2883838)   #54
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Come on guys! Spain just got interesting!
Sure the race will probably be very exciting, but will it be genuinely so or in a contrived way?

I like to be able to 'read' a race and until this year I could, more or less, but now it's general mayhem. Over 80 pit stops in a race is ridiculous. I don't have a a problem with KERS or even DRS, provided they set the right distance within which it can be used, but I think Pirelli have overstepped their brief.
Old 22 May 2011, 12:04 (Ref:2883854)   #55
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Viva Alonso!
Old 22 May 2011, 12:41 (Ref:2883866)   #56
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, there goes that....Vettel will walk away...up to Webber to recover from tardy start and in-out laps
Old 22 May 2011, 13:01 (Ref:2883870)   #57
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Spanish TY Director is lame, twice he's missed two overtaking manoeuvres; would have completely missed them if it wasn't for the replay.
Old 22 May 2011, 14:05 (Ref:2883891)   #58
AUSRSR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
AUSRSR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is getting painful
Old 22 May 2011, 15:43 (Ref:2883951)   #59
Louis Agilais
Racer

Louis Agilais is a back marker
I'm not totally sure, but the time of Spanish TV directores is over. since 10 or 12 years that is FOM that has a team that does the covering of all the races. Before it was up to the hosting country to provide it (usually the public tv of the country, RAI for Monza and Imola, RTP for Estoril, TF1 Magny-Cours, etc.). But now that "expression" is outdated. I know, I know, Martin Brundle still says that, but he's outdated to, right?
Old 22 May 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2883952)   #60
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The Spanish TY Director is lame, twice he's missed two overtaking manoeuvres; would have completely missed them if it wasn't for the replay.
Totally agree, at one point he was more interested in a pit stop that the fight for places on the track.

If we had a poll for the TV director he'd get a 1 for the Spanish GP
Old 22 May 2011, 18:08 (Ref:2884018)   #61
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Sure the race will probably be very exciting, but will it be genuinely so or in a contrived way?
You can have tyres now that will last 4 races, but some drivers tyres may start to fade away after 3, giving them no chance at all in race 4. Or you could have what we have now or something that's in between (Bridgestone 2010 etc). So what's not contrived and what is?
Old 22 May 2011, 23:26 (Ref:2884154)   #62
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have grown to really like Sebastian Vettel....

The way that he makes himself available post race to the BBC commentary team and the manner in which he conducts himself is great.

He seems like a really fun guy.

Even more impressive was Paul Di Resta explaining technical matters prior to getting in his car pre race.

He reminds me a lot of Jackie Stewart who also has this wonderful ability to discuss various topics in a manner which a layperson can understand.

It must be the accent ....

My pet hate !!!!!......the team members (mostly women with recorders) who stand next to the drivers when they are being interviewed after the race and appear to be making sure that they say nothing out of place.

Sad..............

PS. I want to see Schumi get a podium before the end of the season simply to prove all his doubters wrong ....

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 22 May 2011 at 23:44.
Old 23 May 2011, 01:55 (Ref:2884187)   #63
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What an interesting race we had,i thought alonso was going to win the race or get a podium,the way things are going,noone will be able to beat vettel(not even his team mate)and redbull.
Old 23 May 2011, 08:05 (Ref:2884258)   #64
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and i keeping count here now that five races without the SC when was the last time we had no such slowing down for the SC
Old 23 May 2011, 09:00 (Ref:2884293)   #65
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I like to be able to 'read' a race and until this year I could, more or less, but now it's general mayhem. Over 80 pit stops in a race is ridiculous. I don't have a a problem with KERS or even DRS, provided they set the right distance within which it can be used, but I think Pirelli have overstepped their brief.
So....you want to be able to predict the outcome of a race? So why race then? I'd go for excitement over predictability every time.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 23 May 2011, 13:36 (Ref:2884470)   #66
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
So....you want to be able to predict the outcome of a race? So why race then? I'd go for excitement over predictability every time.
It isn't about predicting any outcome but there have been variables in recent years that made races readable. For instance, when someone had to pit cause of tire wear was one of those. And combining these variables of different drivers then leads to a prognosis which, of course, can be disrupted by eliminating variables such as engine blows and stuff. In the end, what Strider talks about is a calculation of a prognosis and not a prediction.
And for some the calculation is as exciting as just watching
Old 23 May 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2884478)   #67
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Previous to the refuelling ban we had races where it was usual to be able to guess, to within a very few laps, when most of the drivers were going to pit. We even had people timing fuel stops to make it even more predictable!

Tyre wear really had nothing to do with it. Maxing out your lap time on the optimum amount of fuel was the holy grail of F1 pre-2010, regardless of tyre wear.

It was Sprint - Stop - Sprint - Stop - Sprint racing. Easy to follow, but so God Damn Boring! Made even easier to follow in 2010 by the adoption of Short Sprint - Stop - Long Sprint tactics due to refuelling ban and 'hard as iron, grippy as superglue' tyres.
Old 23 May 2011, 14:05 (Ref:2884485)   #68
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Previous to the refuelling ban we had races where it was usual to be able to guess, to within a very few laps, when most of the drivers were going to pit. We even had people timing fuel stops to make it even more predictable!

Tyre wear really had nothing to do with it. Maxing out your lap time on the optimum amount of fuel was the holy grail of F1 pre-2010, regardless of tyre wear.

It was Sprint - Stop - Sprint - Stop - Sprint racing. Easy to follow, but so God Damn Boring! Made even easier to follow in 2010 by the adoption of Short Sprint - Stop - Long Sprint tactics due to refuelling ban and 'hard as iron, grippy as superglue' tyres.
Add to that the qualifying position and time usually made the first stop prediction possible (pre 2010)
Old 23 May 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2884718)   #69
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Whatever the situations the tyres find is watching, I can't remember the last time someone led the first portion of a race only to end up lapped?!

Incredible.
Old 23 May 2011, 20:44 (Ref:2884742)   #70
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Whatever the situations the tyres find is watching, I can't remember the last time someone led the first portion of a race only to end up lapped?!

Incredible.
I thought the same thing while I was doing by girl. That and petrov finishing behind Heidfeld even though he qualified eight rows ahead. You might as well just watch the last 10 laps. Qualifying is now pointless.
Old 23 May 2011, 22:03 (Ref:2884791)   #71
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
I thought the same thing while I was doing by girl. That and petrov finishing behind Heidfeld even though he qualified eight rows ahead. You might as well just watch the last 10 laps. Qualifying is now pointless.
Qualifying is not pointless: it's just not the be-all and end-all that it once was. Remember, qualifying only exists at all because of the peculiar circumstance in motor-racing, that we can't line up all the competitors in one row. In motocross, sailing, athletics, etc everyone is on the front row. In sailing, I have started a race with 176 boats all in a single line!
Old 23 May 2011, 23:23 (Ref:2884825)   #72
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
No, you misunderstood what I said. If I could forecast the result of a race I'd be down at the bookies every time and be a very rich man by now and probably not bother posting on here!

No, what I meant was that as a race evolves you could usually work out who were the likely podium contenders. Now you can't. It's more like a lottery. If that's what floats your boat, fine, but I'm not so keen.
Old 24 May 2011, 02:59 (Ref:2884900)   #73
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Here is a suggestion about qualifying. Why not have Pirelli come out with one qualifying tyre that is soft and last for Q1-Q3. Each driver gets one set for those sessions which upon the tyres are discarded. Each driver then gets there normal sets of fresh new tyres for each race. How easy is that.
Old 24 May 2011, 07:27 (Ref:2884973)   #74
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
Here is a suggestion about qualifying. Why not have Pirelli come out with one qualifying tyre that is soft and last for Q1-Q3. Each driver gets one set for those sessions which upon the tyres are discarded. Each driver then gets there normal sets of fresh new tyres for each race. How easy is that.
Not a bad idea. Although a bad lap on a set of 'qualifiers' could see even less action on the track during qualifying than we have now. What would be the point in going out on another set of tyres if you've already wasted your qualifiers? And you'll know that if a driver has already squandered his best tyre, then that's that!
Old 24 May 2011, 09:19 (Ref:2885031)   #75
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
No, you misunderstood what I said. If I could forecast the result of a race I'd be down at the bookies every time and be a very rich man by now and probably not bother posting on here!

No, what I meant was that as a race evolves you could usually work out who were the likely podium contenders. Now you can't. It's more like a lottery. If that's what floats your boat, fine, but I'm not so keen.
But the point is, it is NOT a lottery. The outcome is just as 'predictable' as any previous season from any particular point in the race.

However, its much more difficult to calculate the prediction because the number of variables has increased. Even the teams are finding it harder to make the prediction, and therefor select tactics, so its not surprising spectators are.

As everyone become more used to the rules and how the tyres work, the prediction will become easier, and the races will become more processional and boring.

My own point of view, the more difficult it is to make a prediction, the more exciting the race.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.