Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Mar 2004, 04:37 (Ref:897665)   #1
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a time to bring one tyre supplier rule

No matter what Ferrai fans say, I hate the fact that Bridgestone is favoring Ferrari only. The BS is a big company, and they are focusing their resources to one team. We do not know how much advantage Ferrari is getting from it as the tyre becomes such a influential factor in determing the speed of the car. Shumi said we should wait until Malaysia to see how Ferrari stands against others. BS is known to work better in cold weather. I just want to see top teams racing against each other on the same tyre.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 04:56 (Ref:897674)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The problem is of course, how do you (Or Bernie in this case) talk one of the tyre suppliers into leaving the sport volentarily?
Old 8 Mar 2004, 05:28 (Ref:897687)   #3
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, it's time for 1 or 2 other tire supliers to join as well.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 05:31 (Ref:897689)   #4
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to wait a couple of years Bridgestone will be gone to try their luck in WRC.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 05:57 (Ref:897700)   #5
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bloody hope that happens....

On another note, is Warwick's sign up date the oldest anyone has ever seen around here? I know there are older people......but geez
Old 8 Mar 2004, 06:29 (Ref:897710)   #6
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
No, it's time for 1 or 2 other tire supliers to join as well.
Indeed it is!

Control tyres do not work...look at any series that has them and the resultant further processions.

Am I mistaken or was it just weeks ago that everyone was proclaiming that Ferrari's reign was over specifically because Michelin was going to be clearly superior in 04?

Wait and see what different tracks, temperature and conditions bring before we Knee-Jerk again?

Methinks superior horsepower (and driving) has more to do with it. Alonso was on Michelins was'nt he? And Webber was keeping up in a Jag on Michelins...
Old 8 Mar 2004, 08:11 (Ref:897752)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blue, strangely nobody said that last year when Michelin dominated the hot summer!
Your thought seems a bit biased, cos this kinda wehater will not last the entire season.
On the whole, fresh and hot races reach more or less the same number, thus where is the problem?
And, what is more: no rule has decided that BS must be better with cold and worse with hot: it's not Fia's fault if tyres have diferent relative performances depending on temperature.
Furthermore deeks6 has a point: other michelin shod teams did well, thus it still has to be shown that the race was so heavily affected by the weather conditions.

Last edited by climb; 8 Mar 2004 at 08:12.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 08:30 (Ref:897763)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you let Bridgestone back into V8 Supercar as control tyre supplier, the world in motorsport in these parts would be a better place
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Mar 2004, 08:40 (Ref:897771)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I couldn't disagree more. Apart from anything else tyres are the best way for the others to get ahead of Ferrari!

If Williams was winning should we have a control engine so that the blatant favouring of Williams by BMW was banished from the sport? OK that is a fatuous thing to say, but you get my point.

On the point raised by several above: I too would love more tyre manufacturers in the sport.

It is time that the Michelin teams did better (along with their tyre supplier) not that Bridgestone and Ferrari are punished for doing well.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 08:43 (Ref:897778)   #10
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: It is a time to bring one tyre supplier rule

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue
No matter what Ferrai fans say, I hate the fact that Bridgestone is favoring Ferrari only. The BS is a big company, and they are focusing their resources to one team. We do not know how much advantage Ferrari is getting from it as the tyre becomes such a influential factor in determing the speed of the car. Shumi said we should wait until Malaysia to see how Ferrari stands against others. BS is known to work better in cold weather. I just want to see top teams racing against each other on the same tyre.
In that case you should try to convince McLaren and Williams to switch to Bridgestone.

But do you honestly think that McLaren switched from Bridgestone to Michelin 2 years ago with the *intention* of helping Ferrari?
Old 8 Mar 2004, 08:51 (Ref:897792)   #11
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No,one tyre manufacturer does not work.
At least at the moment we will get periods where BS and Mich trade blows.
Wait 'till the michy teams hit the hot conditions and see them fly....
The original poster is just not thinking
Old 8 Mar 2004, 09:06 (Ref:897809)   #12
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The idea of one tyre manufacturer will mean that Ferrari will have the equal tyres of Williams, which most likely will give it even more of an advantage.

Also, it will also have all the zealots pleading for a tyre war.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 09:10 (Ref:897814)   #13
Blue
Racer

Climb. I am not saying it's Ferrari's fault. They made a deal with the BS under current rule. We do not know if the BS tyre's performance will match the Michelin's under hot condition. That's the risk they take, but maybe the advantage they get from close relationship with the BS is greater as the BS designs the tyre exclusively for them. But, don't you rather want to see Ferrari performs well regardless of weather conditions?
Old 8 Mar 2004, 09:19 (Ref:897825)   #14
Blue
Racer

Re: Re: It is a time to bring one tyre supplier rule

Quote:
But do you honestly think that McLaren switched from Bridgestone to Michelin 2 years ago with the *intention* of helping Ferrari? [/B]

The BS started to favor Ferrari then.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 09:47 (Ref:897846)   #15
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Re: Re: It is a time to bring one tyre supplier rule

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue
The BS started to favor Ferrari then.
So why do you expect Bridgestone to stop favouring Ferrari as soon as the other top teams switch over to Bridgestone?
Old 8 Mar 2004, 12:34 (Ref:897986)   #16
Blue
Racer

Re: Re: Re: Re: It is a time to bring one tyre supplier rule

Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
So why do you expect Bridgestone to stop favouring Ferrari as soon as the other top teams switch over to Bridgestone?
When the BS was supplying to Mac, they already designed the tyre for Ferrari chassis. Mac found out not only Michelin was superior but it might suit them better. If the BS treated them equally, I wonder why only Mac switched to Michelin and ferrari risked to stayed with the BS when all other top teams were on Michelin.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 12:47 (Ref:897996)   #17
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari saw the opportunity to further enhance their status and partnership with Bridgestone.

Let's just say one day, if Ferrari wants to switch tyres,i bet Michelins would grab the chance of partnering Ferrari. No tyre companies would be silly enough to give up an opportunity to gain more exposure with Ferrari.

Surprisingly, no Michelin-teams' fans asked for control tyres when Michelin were running far stronger than BS. And i don't understand what people have to complain about BS-Ferrari relationship when everything is aboveboard and clear.

BS-Ferrari relationship is the same as Shell-Ferrari...they try to work as a package - BS is willing to do it because they have many benefits to gain by working with Ferrari.

Compare the situation of Jordan/Minardi/Sauber...what do BS got to gain in supplying tyres to them? They don't get good exposure (with Jordan/minardi taking the end of the grid and retiring), nor do they get to be the supplier of road-tires to the road divisions of the manufacturers...(usually a carrot given by manufacturer teams). All they get is the money to cover cost of productions and transport + less than good coverage.

No sensible man would put equal efforts into Minardi as to Ferrari.