Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jan 2011, 14:40 (Ref:2822725)   #1
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Demands on drivers 'unacceptable'

This appears to be a concern that Ferrari have voiced for the coming season..

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89138

I was thinking about this while back and I agree I think they have a real point, way too many buttons to operate while driving a F1 car on the very limit..

What do you guys have to say on the subject...
Old 30 Jan 2011, 14:43 (Ref:2822726)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
well it'd clearly be fine if they were women because we can multitask..

(i'll get my coat...)
Old 30 Jan 2011, 15:07 (Ref:2822740)   #3
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Bella, what was it Bernie said about women driving in F1....? Something to do with dressed in white, kitchen, and with the other domestic appliances.

(i'll get my coat...)
Only joking by the way I'm not one who agrees with much of what Bernie says these days, I am just pointing out what he said. Not agreeing with him......

For my part, I can still remember when we did have girls driving in domestic F1 and also in the World Drivers Championship (or whatever you want to call F1 pre 1981)

Last edited by E.B; 30 Jan 2011 at 15:12.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 15:49 (Ref:2822753)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I think they should revamp the regulations to include a passenger. The driver can then concentrate on driving, whilst the chap in the back can adjust the fuel mix, close the slot gap or remonstrate with an engineer who wants them to get out of Mr & Mrs Alonso's way.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2822754)   #5
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:

(i'll get my coat...)
Tsk. What is this? Loose Women?!
Old 30 Jan 2011, 15:52 (Ref:2822755)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Super Hans! I could not agree with you more...
Old 30 Jan 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2822756)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Excuse my quoting a very small section of the article
Quote:
As well as the normal car items like radio, differential and brake balance controls that drivers will regularly operate on a lap, for 2011 drivers are going to have to flick switches to power up and activate KERS, as well as make use of the moveable rear wing.
Well lets get rid of the multitude of differential controls, engine mapping controls, fuel rate controls. You set the car up before the race and that's it !

Leaving the driver with a radio, a front wing switch, a rear wing switch and a KERS go faster button. Does the activation switch need to be on the steering wheel? and the brake bias is often a lever so doesn't have to be on the wheel either.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2822758)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Tsk. What is this? Loose Women?!
i wouldn't know, i've never watched it
Old 30 Jan 2011, 16:03 (Ref:2822759)   #9
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
i wouldn't know, i've never watched it
Erm...neither have I, honest.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2822765)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
One more the cars are becoming way too complicated. I thought we had left that era behind? Traction control, launch control, Anti-lock brakes..Go back to more of a basic race car that can pass the car in front, and get on with the racing!

I appreciate the technology but it is getting get silly again..
Old 30 Jan 2011, 16:34 (Ref:2822773)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

(i'll get my coat...)
Surely you should be sacked for such sexist comments
Old 30 Jan 2011, 16:35 (Ref:2822774)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You don't have to press these buttons.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 16:40 (Ref:2822777)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
That is true too Adam..
Old 30 Jan 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2822794)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
The only thing is that the drivers will be pressured to use all the gismos available to them.. This is the way Luca di Montezemolo works...
Old 30 Jan 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2822795)   #15
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so hang on last year they were quite happy having drivers driving one handed whilst operating their vodafone ducts whilst this year the drivers will be overtasked by having to instead press for kers and floppy wings....

as adam says, no one says they have to use any buttons apart from the pit limiter button....
Old 30 Jan 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2822797)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
The only thing is that the drivers will be pressured to use all the gismos available to them.. This is the way Luca di Montezemolo works...
In the same way that they are pressurised to drive quicker.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 17:14 (Ref:2822798)   #17
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
think of the pressure on Massa though, he's going to have to operate all of these buttons whilst at the same time checking his mirrors constantly ready to jump out of Alonsos way
Old 30 Jan 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2822800)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
so hang on last year they were quite happy having drivers driving one handed whilst operating their vodafone ducts whilst this year the drivers will be overtasked by having to instead press for kers and floppy wings....
To be fair there were some that didn't like this. Possibly Luca?
Quote:
as adam says, no one says they have to use any buttons apart from the pit limiter button....
Still we aren't back to real gear changes at Monaco.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 17:18 (Ref:2822801)   #19
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
In the same way that they are pressurised to drive quicker.
Very true Adam..I did not realize just how much the race engineer leans on the driver during a race, I would get a tad fed up with that to be honest..
Old 30 Jan 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2822841)   #20
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
You don't have to press these buttons.
Sounds like the Benetton 'Option 13' steering wheel (that the FIA showed could be used to cheat and incorporate launchand traction control at a time they were banned. Benetton got away with it because there was no way to prove it had been used ever, and technically it was not illegal to have the software there as long as you didnt use it.

As if the team that went on in later years, (with almost the same people) to deliberately have one of their cars deliberately crash to reap an undeserved win for the team might use something that could justify their brilliant starts with the click of a keyboard and then wipe the traces of its use.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 18:30 (Ref:2822844)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Give them a manual stick shift as well, (which is what it should be anyway).
Old 30 Jan 2011, 18:42 (Ref:2822850)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Sounds like the Benetton 'Option 13'
Woah there! Are you trying to derail the thread?
Old 30 Jan 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2822852)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
They still have steering wheels?!!

What's needed is a driver with more fingers (Team Lotus are ideally based for this next leap in F1 evolution), or a steering wheel with less buttons.

But I say all of this having just guided 44 tonnes of artic across a dark and winding mountain pass, whilst also having drunk a can of coke from one hand and having eaten a Mars bar from the other. In between times the CD needed changing, the phone needed answering, and the gears needed shifting . F1 drivers are real pussies!
Old 30 Jan 2011, 18:48 (Ref:2822854)   #24
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Sorry, I thought driving a Formula 1 car was meant to be difficult, which is why the stars of the sport get paid the national debt of an African country and have all the sex they can eat. Whereas they should be mere ciphers for the glory of the greater Corporate God. Carry on.
Old 30 Jan 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2822874)   #25
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Give them a manual stick shift as well, (which is what it should be anyway).
I'd agree.
I may be a dinosaur but I would happily do away with all the buttons, radios and telemetry and have an H shift gear lever in the cockpit and oil and water gauges along with the rev counter.

Technology bores me. I want to see a contest in its purest form, driver against driver.