Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 May 2011, 08:37 (Ref:2883787)   #1
RamblinStu
Rookie

England
Kent
RamblinStu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canadian Grand Prix (CAN), but what year?

I hope someone can help me with this one,

During a wet part of a Grand Prix in Canada and lots of people clattered into the barrier at L'Epingle. The safety car was deployed and then that had to move quickly to avoid yet another car that had lost it approaching the turn.

Q1 what year was this

and

Q2 who drove the safety car

Many thanks Stu
Old 22 May 2011, 09:34 (Ref:2883824)   #2
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinStu View Post
I hope someone can help me with this one,

During a wet part of a Grand Prix in Canada and lots of people clattered into the barrier at L'Epingle. The safety car was deployed and then that had to move quickly to avoid yet another car that had lost it approaching the turn.

Q1 what year was this

and

Q2 who drove the safety car

Many thanks Stu
Are you sure it was at Canada? I remember a situation in 2001 or 2002 at Interlagos, where many, many cars lost it in one of the first corners.
Old 22 May 2011, 15:35 (Ref:2883942)   #3
Louis Agilais
Racer

Louis Agilais is a back marker
I think RamblinStu is referring the Brazilian GP 2003, where turn 3 had a "river" passing by, although it wasn't raining anymore.

But Wapflap is thinking, it seems to me, to the european GP 2007 (Nurburgring?), when torrential rain dropped right after the start, originating a lot of standing water on one of the turns, in which lots of cars got caught inclunding Hamilton and a few others and even some that were already behind the safety car didn't escape. They didn't left the cars and were able to join the track some with the help of the marshals (some were actually put back on the racetrack with a crane). All this happened in the first two or three laps.

The driver of the safety car I'm not sure, but it should be the same we have today (since I remember that's always the same)
Old 22 May 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2884008)   #4
RamblinStu
Rookie

England
Kent
Thanks WapFlap and Louis Agilais, but thats not the incident I have mind.

As I recall the event, there were a few cars off at L'Epingle and the safety car was approaching the incident waiting to pick up the leader, when another car went off approaching the corner and was heading, out of control, towards the safety car who put his foot down and successfully got out the way
Old 23 May 2011, 00:26 (Ref:2884173)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That sounds like Europe 2007 for sure. Don't remember that happening at Canada.

Trying to think of wet races at Canada is hard actually. 2000. 1989. 1981. Err...
Old 23 May 2011, 03:48 (Ref:2884203)   #6
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ_joV8qLF4

Here is Europe 2007 and the safety car incident. Sounds like what everyone is describing.

I remember being fairly annoyed that Hamilton was allowed to be picked up and carried on going.

Wilkelhock was brilliant for a couple of minutes on this day.
Old 23 May 2011, 07:50 (Ref:2884252)   #7
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It was Europe 2007. Buemi or Bourdais nearly ploughed into the Safety car from memory. The driver was Bernd Meighlander (sp?)
Old 23 May 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2884289)   #8
RamblinStu
Rookie

England
Kent
Thanks to Knowlesy and Beau1. That is the very one. How the memory plays tricks.

It means I lost my bet in the pub tho

Once again thanks to all of you for your help

Stu
Old 24 May 2011, 00:09 (Ref:2884850)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Louis got there first in fairness.

Sorry about your bet!