Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 May 2014, 22:44 (Ref:3404723)   #251
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haas making the right moves so far. Buy into an existing team
then go see if Braun is bored out of his mind yet.

Time will tell.
Old 11 May 2014, 00:11 (Ref:3404744)   #252
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post

Time will tell.
Has it been confirmed he's buying into an existing team, i.e. Caterham?
Old 11 May 2014, 01:12 (Ref:3404755)   #253
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They said on the qualifying telecast its been rumored he may be visiting Lotus this coming week. I figure while he is over there he will talk with
any other prospects.
Old 11 May 2014, 01:20 (Ref:3404757)   #254
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So much for building a new team from scratch based in the US flavoured with American Hustle...I mean muscle.
Old 11 May 2014, 01:37 (Ref:3404760)   #255
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Haas will NOT be buying out the Lotus F1 Team.

Quote:
A shave and a haircut before his visits Braun??
Old 11 May 2014, 02:14 (Ref:3404768)   #256
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Buying into vs. buying out are 2 completely different scenario's.

To early yet but from what I hear, Lotus could use a couple bucks.
Old 11 May 2014, 02:37 (Ref:3404771)   #257
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
So much for building a new team from scratch based in the US flavoured with American Hustle...I mean muscle.
I think we'll just have to wait and see but it would be nice to see a new team built from scratch.
Old 11 May 2014, 05:35 (Ref:3404792)   #258
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post

A shave and a haircut before his visits Braun??
Why not? Braun used to sponsor Braun Team Tyrrell when they had backing from Shell and Honda engines (1991).

Then an invite to Ross Brawn might be in order, especially if the factory in the US is beside a river with lots of trout...
Old 11 May 2014, 09:12 (Ref:3404835)   #259
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Buying into vs. buying out are 2 completely different scenario's.
Haas will NOT be buying out - nor buying into Lotus F1. And Gene Haas will NOT be visiting Enstone next week either.
Old 11 May 2014, 09:38 (Ref:3404852)   #260
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You seem awfully certain of this. Personally, I would want to be absolutely sure of my facts if I was going to contradict another member so abruptly.

Do you have a source?
Old 11 May 2014, 10:40 (Ref:3404872)   #261
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All the news sources from yesterday have him down to visit Enstone next week, though Haas today has dismissed rumours that he is looking at buying Lotus or Caterham.
It's on Autosport, but I can't link it over.
Old 11 May 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3404879)   #262
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Conflicting reports going on. Sky are still adamant that he's visiting, but Autosport have changed now and have said he's not planning on visiting lotus.
Old 11 May 2014, 11:55 (Ref:3404901)   #263
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Reports now that Haas' reported flirtation with common sense are unfounded. Repeat, unfounded.
Old 11 May 2014, 14:58 (Ref:3404980)   #264
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
According to this, he's going to do it from scratch.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113899
Old 11 May 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3405019)   #265
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thank you to the other members for providing the sources........
Old 13 May 2014, 09:42 (Ref:3405776)   #266
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My personal view is: Haas want an F1 team to be recognized in the States to be an American team; buying Lotus o Caterham or whatever else out would be insightful from an operation point of view, but not many American fans would ever consider it as an USF1 team to get crazy for.

Much better in this perspective to start purchasing the car i.e. from Merc or Ferrari just to be on the grid in 2015, and then gradually pile up experience to open up their own US-based shop in the following years.

Pros: that's the best way to lure a fan base at home

Cons: the F1 know-how and supply chain circuits are elsewhere: UK and Italy; very hard to be and keep competitive staying on their own in the States.
Old 13 May 2014, 10:03 (Ref:3405783)   #267
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb View Post
My personal view is: Haas want an F1 team to be recognized in the States to be an American team; buying Lotus o Caterham or whatever else out would be insightful from an operation point of view, but not many American fans would ever consider it as an USF1 team to get crazy for.
Interesting point. Now thinking back about it, and this goes for motogp
as well, I was always been more interested in the team if the driver was from my country. Team principals? Not so much.
Old 13 May 2014, 10:36 (Ref:3405795)   #268
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Noone accuses Gurney or Penske of being English and they built or at least operated alot of their kit from England. If Haas had his head screwed on he'd pick up an existing team, do a deal with Gurney to bring the Eagle name back to F1 and he'd basically achieve what says he wants to achieve with a higher chance of success. Once he stabilises the team, he then might be able to diversify more of his operation to America availing of the advantages of the information age. Right now the percentages are very low judging from his public intentions and I doubt he'll turn heads in America with NASCAR routinely dominating the headlines.

Gurney's F1 winnning Mk1 Eagle was American built. Belgium '67 is the only time an American built car has won but it has been done before today.
Old 13 May 2014, 12:18 (Ref:3405833)   #269
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
as well, I was always been more interested in the team if the driver was from my country. Team principals? Not so much.
Right point, but, if you want an US driver for an F1 adventure, he must be a strong one; and we all know that this kind of drivers are totally absorbed by Nascar.

I suppose that an US-based outift is more likely to lure one of them.
Old 13 May 2014, 13:50 (Ref:3405874)   #270
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
If people think Scott Speed 2.0 driving a half assed American built chassis tucked away at the back of the pack is going to interest Americans, we're going to have to part company on that particular question.
Old 13 May 2014, 13:57 (Ref:3405875)   #271
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who knows what Gene Haas' motivation for doing this is. He appears to be very well heeled and if he wants to dump his money into this, then it's his prerogative. However, it would be foolish to believe this venture as the eureka moment when F1 goes mainstream stateside. It is, has been and always will be, a minority motor sport in the US. NASCAR is what race fans that side of the pond are interested in. It does what they want and there's no need for them to look elsewhere.
Old 13 May 2014, 14:39 (Ref:3405880)   #272
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Who knows what Gene Haas' motivation for doing this is. He appears to be very well heeled and if he wants to dump his money into this, then it's his prerogative. However, it would be foolish to believe this venture as the eureka moment when F1 goes mainstream stateside. It is, has been and always will be, a minority motor sport in the US. NASCAR is what race fans that side of the pond are interested in. It does what they want and there's no need for them to look elsewhere.
NASCAR hasn't always been the most popular racing series in America, it's not beyond possible that F1's popularity will continue to grow stateside.
Old 13 May 2014, 14:45 (Ref:3405881)   #273
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catingaround View Post
NASCAR hasn't always been the most popular racing series in America, it's not beyond possible that F1's popularity will continue to grow stateside.
I say this having lived in the US for a number of years. It's not beyond possible that F1's popularity will grow but I don't believe it will ever be anything other than a fringe series and I can't for a moment envisage it usurping NASCAR.
Old 13 May 2014, 23:47 (Ref:3406061)   #274
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Davy is spot on. F1 is gaining fans but NASCAR is still the king and will be until motor racing as a spectator sport dies out in the US.
Old 14 May 2014, 00:01 (Ref:3406064)   #275
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Noone accuses Gurney or Penske of being English and they built or at least operated alot of their kit from England. If Haas had his head screwed on he'd pick up an existing team, do a deal with Gurney to bring the Eagle name back to F1 and he'd basically achieve what says he wants to achieve with a higher chance of success. Once he stabilises the team, he then might be able to diversify more of his operation to America availing of the advantages of the information age. Right now the percentages are very low judging from his public intentions and I doubt he'll turn heads in America with NASCAR routinely dominating the headlines.

Gurney's F1 winnning Mk1 Eagle was American built. Belgium '67 is the only time an American built car has won but it has been done before today.
I like the Gurney/Eagle angle but unfortunately all Haas seems to know about AOWR, let alone F1, is Dullara,which is why he's going for them intially.