Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who is your driver of the race?
Hamilton 13 22.81%
Rosberg 1 1.75%
Alonso 31 54.39%
Ricciardo 7 12.28%
Vettel 0 0%
Hulkenberg 0 0%
Bottas 0 0%
Raikkonen 1 1.75%
Perez 0 0%
Kvyat 1 1.75%
Button 0 0%
Vergne 0 0%
Magnussen 0 0%
Maldonado 0 0%
Massa 0 0%
Gutierrez 0 0%
Bianchi 0 0%
Kobayashi 1 1.75%
Chilton 0 0%
Ericsson 0 0%
Grosjean 2 3.51%
Sutil 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Apr 2014, 08:16 (Ref:3397097)   #26
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Considering the Mercedes is a second a lap, at least, faster after than everyone else, and Mercedes were running their new parts (weren't they?) which claimed to give them ANOTHER second, Lewis should have been a minute ahead of everyone else (except Rosberg). He wasn't. He was only 23 secs ahead of Alonso who was held up by Vettel for most of that gap and then battled with Rosberg briefly.

Going by that, Lewis was surely just cruising all race long and couldn't really be considered DOTR. You've got to outperform the car for that. Even Rosberg seemed to be taking it easy, pushing only when necessary and apologising to the team for accidentally throwing that 1m 40.4 in there, almost 2 secs faster than Vettels fastest lap.

What the f#*k has F1 come to where no one is pushing 100%, it's like the rulemakers have forgotten this is a race. I want to see drivers pushing to the limits of the car! They can't do that with the current tyres and fuel situation.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 11:25 (Ref:3397147)   #27
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Hamilton - I told you he'd be good in a car with less downforce that moved around!
Old 23 Apr 2014, 11:42 (Ref:3397155)   #28
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Considering the Mercedes is a second a lap, at least, faster after than everyone else, and Mercedes were running their new parts (weren't they?) which claimed to give them ANOTHER second, Lewis should have been a minute ahead of everyone else (except Rosberg). He wasn't. He was only 23 secs ahead of Alonso who was held up by Vettel for most of that gap and then battled with Rosberg briefly.

Going by that, Lewis was surely just cruising all race long and couldn't really be considered DOTR. You've got to outperform the car for that. Even Rosberg seemed to be taking it easy, pushing only when necessary and apologising to the team for accidentally throwing that 1m 40.4 in there, almost 2 secs faster than Vettels fastest lap.
I think it was Fangio who first said that you should try to win at the slowest possible speed. That's really what Hammy was doing. He gave himself just enough lead to allow himself an unexpected pitstop if necessary. He used less fuel than anyone else, so he had a bit of extra safety margin there too. He kept his pace below the ultimate so he put less strain on every bit of the car. He still has the ultimate pace that he had from Day 1, but he now shows a more controlled and intelligent side to his driving as well. It's not his fault if no-one else can keep up.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 13:30 (Ref:3397220)   #29
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I think it was Fangio who first said that you should try to win at the slowest possible speed. That's really what Hammy was doing. He gave himself just enough lead to allow himself an unexpected pitstop if necessary. He used less fuel than anyone else, so he had a bit of extra safety margin there too. He kept his pace below the ultimate so he put less strain on every bit of the car. He still has the ultimate pace that he had from Day 1, but he now shows a more controlled and intelligent side to his driving as well. It's not his fault if no-one else can keep up.
Lewis certainly has matured since leaving McLaren and particularly after the 2011 season and his feud with Massa during it. 2011 must really go down as his lowest point. It's good to see him back on top.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 15:35 (Ref:3397298)   #30
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zico View Post
Easy... Alonso. Yet another fantastic drive that once again proved he can get the absolute very best out of whatever car he is given. No of WDC's and wins in dominant cars don't count for me and not really a fan of the man as a person but as a driver these capabilities and achievements are the markings of a true great.
I wish more forum members would look out for this rather than automatically awarding it their favourite driver or the winner in the best car... that's just either fanboyism or bizzare!

Hamilton was untouchable but had it easy way out in front in the quickest car by a country mile. He really didn't have much to do compared with the rest other than have to maintain his concentration. Not his fault and he is probably the quickest guy out there but how can anyone award him DOR? He was hardly involved in one!

Edit- Maybe that is a bit harsh because I do know how demanding it is to maintain 100% concentration when you have it easy.
Spot on!
Old 23 Apr 2014, 15:39 (Ref:3397301)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It isn't spot on at all. I agree with voting for Alonso, but it ends there I am afraid.

We have a majority vote on Alonso and complaints about people fanboying Hamilton. JESUS WEPT.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 15:55 (Ref:3397311)   #32
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I agree with Knowlesy (again). As we saw from Rosberg's race, its not so easy to stream off into the distance when you are in the best car.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 21:56 (Ref:3397464)   #33
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
I agree with Knowlesy (again). As we saw from Rosberg's race, its not so easy to stream off into the distance when you are in the best car.
Hamilton had the best car though, Rosberg was somewhat handicapped by the car being unable to relay telemetry back to the engineers.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 22:35 (Ref:3397487)   #34
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Hamilton had the best car though, Rosberg was somewhat handicapped by the car being unable to relay telemetry back to the engineers.
I remember a time when a driver didn't use telemetry to tell him/her how drive their car.... was it better? I think so.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 23 Apr 2014 at 22:43.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 22:36 (Ref:3397488)   #35
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That was when driving was easy
Old 23 Apr 2014, 22:46 (Ref:3397493)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
That was when driving was easy
All those knobs and buttons on the steering wheel, it's no wonder they need a computer etc. to drive the car.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 23:18 (Ref:3397500)   #37
Zico
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I remember a time when a driver didn't use telemetry to tell him/her how drive their car.... was it better? I think so.

I don't remember that time but yes, in an ideal world I would also like to see drivers just being drivers rather than having to also multi task so much.
Maldonados excursion into the gravel due to being distracted by his button bashing is probably a bad example for arguing against it though.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 00:16 (Ref:3397511)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I don't remember that time but yes, in an ideal world I would also like to see drivers just being drivers rather than having to also multi task so much.
Maldonados excursion into the gravel due to being distracted by his button bashing is probably a bad example for arguing against it though.
The first race I ever went to was The Daily Express Trophy, Silver Jubilee in '73 at Silverstone. Jackie Stewrt won it, no telemetry,
Old 24 Apr 2014, 00:34 (Ref:3397513)   #39
Zico
Racer

Quote:
The first race I ever went to was The Daily Express Trophy, Silver Jubilee in '73 at Silverstone. Jackie Stewrt won it, no telemetry,
I was just a twinkle in my fathers eye back then.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 01:16 (Ref:3397525)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I was just a twinkle in my fathers eye back then.
It was amasing stuff....
Old 24 Apr 2014, 17:19 (Ref:3397816)   #41
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Hmmm? 1952, Lance Macklin in an HWM, we could not even spell tel er..min...

..... that stuff that they have now!
Old 29 Apr 2014, 16:27 (Ref:3399722)   #42
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My vote goes to Ricciardo, who did another acceptable run this time.