Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Which is better currently - Webber or Trulli?
Webber by lots 37 56.06%
Webber by a bit 14 21.21%
About the same 7 10.61%
Trulli by lots 5 7.58%
Trulli by a bit 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Mar 2004, 13:39 (Ref:895934)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Trulli v Webber

There's one thing which strikes me as odd between these two. Both are famed above all for their great qualifying displays, especially the old one-lap showings. However, our views of Trulli seem to be dominated by his comparatively poor race drives, whereas for Webber we concentrate on the qualifying runs.

As examples, after Silverstone last year no one gave Trulli any credit for qualifying an ill-suited car on the front row - we slagged him off for fading to 6th. Conversely, at Hungary Webber was hyped for strating 3rd and running 2nd for a while - yet he only finished 7th, held up a string of cars (effectively cementing Alonso's win), and only took second thanks to the clean/dirty grid side disparity.

Also, Flavio had the choice between them, having both in his driver roster, and the resources to pay jarno off if he considers Webber to be the better choice - but he doesn't, despite close knowledge of both drivers.

Of course, Jarno has a better car, but we don't really know by how much, thanks to Jaguar's inability to run 2 cars evenly. I'm not saying that Mark isn't a great prospect, or that Trulli is a potential champion, but I'm not sure there's a massive difference between them yet.

Last edited by BootsOntheSide; 6 Mar 2004 at 13:41.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 16:38 (Ref:896063)   #2
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I agree. I rate them about the same. So much is perception.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 16:54 (Ref:896072)   #3
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In racing talent I would rate them about equal, maybe Webber a bit higher, but in the capacity to lead a team, Webber would win by a large margin.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 17:10 (Ref:896086)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think that Webber is the better driver personally.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 17:13 (Ref:896089)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Webber is better IMHO... beat Trulli several times last year in an inferior car....
Trulli never seems to get it in the main sessions... got several Friday poles last year only to turn them into insignificant grid slots..
Old 6 Mar 2004, 17:16 (Ref:896092)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Webber is a lot better than Trulli IMO.
Can't accuse me of bias cause i don't give a rats ass about either one of them.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 17:18 (Ref:896094)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They're similar in raw speed, but Webber's racecraft and team play are infinitely better IMO.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 19:24 (Ref:896183)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an overall package, Webber a bit better than Trulli. Alonso better than both.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 20:44 (Ref:896230)   #9
beau
Racer

beau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli better than Webbeer by a bit.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 21:05 (Ref:896238)   #10
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hard to say.

Both of them seem to be talented.

Both of them have shown they can score points in inferior cars.

Trulli has shown he can score podiums in mid-grid teams.
Webber hasn't had a chance to drive for those teams yet.

Neither of them has had a chance in a top team.

---

At this point, Trulli has had better results.

On the other hand, Webber is two years younger.
That might be significant, as both of them already belong to the older half of the grid.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 05:45 (Ref:896576)   #11
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, Today, in a car that was capable of beating the Williams, Trulli today wasn't getting away very fast from Webber. So, at melbourne, Mark 1 Trulli 0 from my perspective. Roll on Malaysia, I hope Trulli can revv it up. I want to see Renault challange those red cars!
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 06:32 (Ref:896641)   #12
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd rate Webber ahead of Trulli. In outright speed, perhaps both drivers are equal, in qualifying both are impressive. But what makes Webber so much better is that his ability to pull his team around him and the work rate.

Renault under Flavio works in the manner of having one star driver lead the team. Hence, in that sense, Trulli is the perfect partner for Alonso (the star). In the future, Flavio would have little worries as he had the option to lose either Webber to Williams or Alonso to Ferrari.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 10:18 (Ref:896809)   #13
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Webber is better by a country mile when you consider how close he gets to Trulli with a much inferior car.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 10:44 (Ref:896824)   #14
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair to Trulli, today he complained of having damage to the rear of his car after copping a hit in the rear at the first corner.

But Webber is better than Trulli. He is great in the car, qualifying is good, and in races, for a car which isnt that good over the race distances, he seems very steady. He seems to also have a Schumi-esque style of bringing the team around him, although maybe not to the same extent.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 11:40 (Ref:896890)   #15
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The race is on between Button and Webber to be in a Williams seat for '05. Tulli and Webber is close on qual but in the race Webber is more calm and measured in his approach while the car stays together.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 7 Mar 2004, 11:49 (Ref:896904)   #16
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh, did read that too just now. Roll on Malaysia I guess.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 12:02 (Ref:896917)   #17
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I rated Webber better by a bit. Arguably he was more impressive in his Minardi days than Trulli (the only real comparison we have). We can't compare them by team-mates either. Here's why:

Trulli: Webber:

Katayama Yoong
Nakano Davidson
Panis Pizzonia
Frentzen Wilson
Alesi Klien
Button
Alonso

No disrespect to Wilson or Pizzonia, but until we see Marky boy up against someone the quality of Alesi or Alsono, we can't really compare. Maybe next year, when he goes to Williams (alongside Scott Dixon I reckon).
Old 7 Mar 2004, 12:47 (Ref:896966)   #18
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Boots, I sometimes wonder if you watch the races or just read the results.

Forgetting the Trulli comparison (as I like him as well), I think you will find both Webbers strong qualifying and weaker races are more car related than anything else.

The 2003 Jag was clearly a quick car when it was light, and in Webbers (usually) faultless hands he flattered it further. However when fuel was added, it was a dog. Pizzonia and Wilson's time also dropped significantly from qualifying trim on Fridays, but less noticed at the rear of the field.

To continue our history lesson, return to 2002 at Minardi. Marks race performance were always impressive considering the car he was in. If you care to go back further you will find similar results at Mercedes and back in Oz in FF.

One habit I picked up a while ago, was saving threads that had posts that made me chuckle and would make for good pie eating at a later date. IAYO made quiet the fool of himself, and even yourself Boots were quiet anti-Webber. I need'nt remind a few others here about the "Wilson will kick his ass" remarks.

The final irritation I have is the "he has'nt faced a good team-mate" comments. Hmm, he hardly chooses them, and I'm sure he would like to have someone else so he can prove his worth and not listen to that sort of cr@p.

I recall the same things said about a german fella that won today

Its possible he has no equal (that would be willing to step down to a Jag).

Do I subscribe to the "Webber will be WDC" beleif? No. He might, I hope so, its possible. But I would'nt say anyone WILL BE a WDC until they have done it. And certainly not when they have'nt won a race yet. For all we know he could get the Williams drive and fold like a cheap suite. I dont think so, but you never know.

Hmmm, back to Trulli for a second, unfortunatley for him, like Pizzonia, Wilson & even Rubins, he is sitting in the wrong seat at the wrong time. Alonso is something special, and that will always take the shine off any good results.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 05:42 (Ref:897694)   #19
Meroo
Racer

Australia
South Coast NSW
Meroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Currently, MW slightly on top.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 07:36 (Ref:897734)   #20
fog_shadow
Racer

fog_shadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no contest. webber is by far the best.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 08:01 (Ref:897747)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by beau
Trulli better than Webbeer by a bit.
Ditto.
Webber seems to have something more than Trulli, but both still have to disclose their talent via consistent performances.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 09:11 (Ref:897816)   #22
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe trulli could keep up with or even beat mark on occasion but mark has that thing that i REALLY admire in a driver-the ability to do above average in any car,any situation
Old 8 Mar 2004, 11:06 (Ref:897914)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's not Webber's fault that he's had a lack of quality team-mates ready to challenge him, but it does call his exact ability into question. The 2003 Jaguar is widely seen as being better than the 2003 car, yet Eddie Irvine did more than Webber. If both had been teamed at Jaguar last year, I think they'd've had a good duel, and Mark would've learnt more (that's the other side of things; Mark's pretty much had to teach himself along the way)
Old 9 Mar 2004, 08:11 (Ref:899089)   #24
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams are no dills and I am yet to hear them show any interest in trying to get young Trulli to sign a cantract with them for 2005,just Webbers name keeps popping up,why is that I wonder,are Williams a bit dense or is Trulli not of any interest to them.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 9 Mar 2004, 13:08 (Ref:899375)   #25
webber14
Rookie

webber14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WEBBER rules. Not just because of his qualifying.Yet to have a competitive car, has a gremlin virtually every race, but still able to finish in the points frequently. His performance at melbourne speaks for himself. Was lapping quicker than monty until the gearbox kicked in.