Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jan 2020, 09:12 (Ref:3949997)   #76
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
On a motor racing note, I’ve been re-reading a book on Sports Car Racing and spotted a very rare car- the 1968 Willment-BRM V8 which competed in the Nürburgring 1000km race. Seems the car is still about, but no longer has a roof.

Didn’t realise they built a car of their own, normally preparing cars from other manufacturers- starting with the Cortina GTs that Zef will know all about. OK, the famous Willment Cobra Coupe was a one off, but based on a Cobra....

Got me looking up Willment’s history. This archive article from Motorsport a good read.....

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...st-and-present
Old 6 Jan 2020, 11:41 (Ref:3950007)   #77
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike, a couple of shots from the 2007 Revival, and one from the 2008 Spring Start of what I think is a Williment, but others will know better, no doubt.
Attached Thumbnails
Revival 2007 2 230.JPG   IMG_4560.JPG   Spring Start 08 235.JPG  

Old 6 Jan 2020, 12:08 (Ref:3950011)   #78
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Mike, a couple of shots from the 2007 Revival, and one from the 2008 Spring Start of what I think is a Williment, but others will know better, no doubt.
Spot on Bob, the Willment Cobra Coupe (NOT a Shelby Daytona Coupe), as tested on the M1 by Gentleman Jack, and the early 1956 Willment Climax. The BRM V8 was mid engined, and had an extremely short International career. Think only the Nürburgring 1000km.....

Seem to remember that the Cobra Coupe was restored in recent times, and I think lives in the UK. Looks like still in period race spec.
Old 6 Jan 2020, 12:13 (Ref:3950013)   #79
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Wasn't a picture of the engine bay of the Willment used in the Grif' homologation form?
Old 6 Jan 2020, 12:43 (Ref:3950015)   #80
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Wasn't a picture of the engine bay of the Willment used in the Grif' homologation form?
Your memory is likely better than mine, Gerard, and I don’t feel the need to check....
Old 6 Jan 2020, 13:46 (Ref:3950020)   #81
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
On a motor racing note, I’ve been re-reading a book on Sports Car Racing and spotted a very rare car- the 1968 Willment-BRM V8 which competed in the Nürburgring 1000km race. Seems the car is still about, but no longer has a roof.

Didn’t realise they built a car of their own, normally preparing cars from other manufacturers- starting with the Cortina GTs that Zef will know all about. OK, the famous Willment Cobra Coupe was a one off, but based on a Cobra....

Got me looking up Willment’s history. This archive article from Motorsport a good read.....

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...st-and-present
Another fascinating read Mike, thanks for posting the link. Although I'd hear of Jeff Uren (mostly due to his Ford engine swap conversions) and knew of his connection with Willment, I never knew he was a Cornishman!
Old 6 Jan 2020, 14:03 (Ref:3950021)   #82
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Another fascinating read Mike, thanks for posting the link. Although I'd hear of Jeff Uren (mostly due to his Ford engine swap conversions) and knew of his connection with Willment, I never knew he was a Cornishman!
I still lust after a Uren Savage Cortina Estate! There could be a book about Ford Dealer race and rally exploits, and indeed other manufacturer agents- Shaw and Kilburn, for instance......
Old 6 Jan 2020, 14:15 (Ref:3950022)   #83
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I still lust after a Uren Savage Cortina Estate! There could be a book about Ford Dealer race and rally exploits, and indeed other manufacturer agents- Shaw and Kilburn, for instance......
Of course I'm more than a little aware of Shaw & Kilburn. Back to the subject of smaller Ford V6 Estates I always used to like the V6 Corsair estates Boreham used to use complete with Minilite wheels. I would have thought that a proper production 3000E Corsair Estate would have been a seller (in the Scimitar GTE market).
Old 6 Jan 2020, 14:30 (Ref:3950024)   #84
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Of course I'm more than a little aware of Shaw & Kilburn. Back to the subject of smaller Ford V6 Estates I always used to like the V6 Corsair estates Boreham used to use complete with Minilite wheels. I would have thought that a proper production 3000E Corsair Estate would have been a seller (in the Scimitar GTE market).
A lot of Rally Barges were really cool! The Lotus Sunbeam engined Avenger Estate for a start. V6 trannies, V8 Sherpas......

Yes, a 3000E Corsair would have been nice- the 2000E was spoilt by the engine- rest was OK!
Old 6 Jan 2020, 14:37 (Ref:3950026)   #85
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Didn't Crayford offer a V6 engine option on their Corsair conversions?

We had a Ford Corsair produced down under in the early 90's.... but it was just a rebadged Pintara !
Old 6 Jan 2020, 14:39 (Ref:3950027)   #86
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back in the 60s, the manufacturers often used their dealers as the "fronts" for their competition teams/individuals. Vauxhall, as you say, with Shaw and Kilburn, Ford with dealers such as Dagenham Motors and Rootes' cars were fronted by Warwick Wright who had their showroom in North West London.
Old 6 Jan 2020, 14:43 (Ref:3950028)   #87
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Back in the 60s, the manufacturers often used their dealers as the "fronts" for their competition teams/individuals. Vauxhall, as you say, with Shaw and Kilburn, Ford with dealers such as Dagenham Motors and Rootes' cars were fronted by Warwick Wright who had their showroom in North West London.
Those were the days, Mike!

Another rarity from 1968- Chevron B12. How to spoil the looks of a B6/8...... https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threa...o-1968.331633/
Old 6 Jan 2020, 14:44 (Ref:3950029)   #88
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I once had a temporary job with Warwick Wright's whilst 'between jobs'. Nice company, I very much enjoyed my time there & would happily have stayed. No rallying involved though...
Old 6 Jan 2020, 14:50 (Ref:3950031)   #89
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Didn't Crayford offer a V6 engine option on their Corsair conversions?

We had a Ford Corsair produced down under in the early 90's.... but it was just a rebadged Pintara !
Can’t remember a V6 Crawford Corsair. Here’s another good period piece from Motorsport Mag archives on Ford V6 engine applications....

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...-v6-miscellany
Old 6 Jan 2020, 15:02 (Ref:3950034)   #90
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Can’t remember a V6 Crawford Corsair. Here’s another good period piece from Motorsport Mag archives on Ford V6 engine applications....

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...-v6-miscellany
Re the Crawford V6 Corsair it must have been a fantasy / my imagination running wild....

Edit: Or maybe not
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42220226@N07/34477326494

V6 Corsair by Crayford for sale :https://www.greatbritishclassiccars....ible-for-sale/
Above car verified by the secretary of the Crayford owners club as being genuine and originally registered in 1967.

Also Haynes manuals refer to the V6 Crayford Corsair
https://haynes.com/en-gb/tips-tutori...y-ford-corsair

Last edited by E.B; 6 Jan 2020 at 15:29. Reason: Added links to the V6 Corsair existing!
Old 6 Jan 2020, 15:18 (Ref:3950037)   #91
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Re the Crawford V6 Corsair it must have been a fantasy / my imagination running wild....

Edit: Or maybe not
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42220226@N07/34477326494

V6 Corsair by Crayford for sale : https://www.greatbritishclassiccars....ible-for-sale/
Interesting find. The body kit does the car no favours! Sounds like that is a modern addition.....

Strange that the Crawford Convertible Car Club doesn’t mention the V6!
Old 6 Jan 2020, 15:24 (Ref:3950040)   #92
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting find. The body kit does the car no favours! Sounds like that is a modern addition.....

I have vague memories of a V6 Corsair conversion. The father of a friend at school, a well-known builder in Norwich, had a Corsair Convertible.

I also remember Martin Maudling's V8 Cobra-Corsair, but that was a different kettle of fish!
Old 6 Jan 2020, 15:33 (Ref:3950042)   #93
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Yet the ad says it is verified as a genuine Crayford car by the same club, first registered in 1967. Strange as you say.

That pillar of dependable knowledge that is Wiki mention it was an option.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Corsair
Old 6 Jan 2020, 15:58 (Ref:3950044)   #94
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
My first job was at Perry's Ford Agents in Finchley.
Old 6 Jan 2020, 16:03 (Ref:3950045)   #95
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
How many Model T's did you sell Baub?
Happy New Year
Old 6 Jan 2020, 17:04 (Ref:3950050)   #96
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

If you were there in 1969, then it is possible that you sold me a Metallic Jade Escort GT.
Old 6 Jan 2020, 17:11 (Ref:3950051)   #97
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I once had a temporary job with Warwick Wright's whilst 'between jobs'. Nice company, I very much enjoyed my time there & would happily have stayed. No rallying involved though...

I don't think that any of those dealers ever saw any competition car, except for, of course, the odd occasion that they might put one on display. For example, most of Dagenham Motors entered cars were built, prepared and maintained at Boreham.

And then came the era of the Dealer Teams, started by Vauxhall; and those cars were often projects that came out of Bill Blydenstein up in Royston.
Old 6 Jan 2020, 17:15 (Ref:3950052)   #98
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
One of the great motorsport related things about the late 60s early 70s for me was the ‘FordSport’ functions they had dealerships. If it hadn’t been for them my first new car probably wouldn’t have been a Mexico!
Old 6 Jan 2020, 17:23 (Ref:3950053)   #99
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
One of the great motorsport related things about the late 60s early 70s for me was the ‘FordSport’ functions they had dealerships. If it hadn’t been for them my first new car probably wouldn’t have been a Mexico!
I used to enjoy those, especially turning up in my Viva & wearing a Vauxhall rally jacket!
Old 6 Jan 2020, 17:31 (Ref:3950054)   #100
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I used to enjoy those, especially turning up in my Viva & wearing a Vauxhall rally jacket!
Sure you weren’t the only one. A mate’s dad who was also into motorsport had a new (pre front ARB) Escort GT so we usually went in that. My anglebox or later Mini Clubman rally cars deemed not suitable.....