Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 27 Oct 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1445033)   #1
markcapilitan
Rookie

Ireland
Sligo, Ireland
markcapilitan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
selling stuff

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good place to sell used cameras?

Cheers,
Old 27 Oct 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1445036)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
ebay
Old 27 Oct 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1445039)   #3
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends what it is....... I'm up for a 2nd hand 1D MkII if the price is right!!
Old 27 Oct 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1445057)   #4
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there Mark.

I agree ebay is probably the best tool available to sell equipment.

I would have loved to buy your lens, and I fully agree it is a fair price. But I simply do not have the budget at this time.

I decided I would be better off next year spending my money on getting to a few events overseas, like Le Mans, hopefully an event at Spa, maybe a DTM event in Germany.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1445238)   #5
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
eBay possibley but to be honest, there are not many people out there willing to pay alot of money for cameras. ebay UK is mainly used for alot of inexpensive stuff. eBay US though might be a good market.

What have you got, I might be interested.

Alex
Old 27 Oct 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1445283)   #6
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by markcapilitan
Hi,

Cheers,
I always sell on my old kit through a friend "in the trade" he will sell “on commission” he gets (20% of the retail price) or do part x on second hand or new kit, I get 50% of its retail value.

Film bodies don’t sell and Digital is changing so fast the older stuff is worthless ie Nikon D100 sell at about £450 without progrip, Nikon D2h £1350. D50 and D70 don’t have much of a second-hand resale value like D1 or D1x…
Old 27 Oct 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1445296)   #7
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi,

Cheers,
Mark, it might be useful if you told US what it is you're selling - you might have a taker here without the need to advertise......
Old 27 Oct 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1445341)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But then he would be advertising, which is against the forum rules
Old 27 Oct 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1445363)   #9
Guidoh
Rookie

United Kingdom
Near Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire, UK
Guidoh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess this is where forum rules or guidelines can be restrictive rather than forwarding the club/forum.

I'm one for saying that if you have something to 'move on' or sell, then let your peers have a snap at it first as you may be actually helping someone out who has common interests with you. As this is a motorsports/photographic related forum, then I'd guess there's possibly a whole heap of people at any one time frantically seeking that XYZ body or lens in an XYZ spec or condition which you might have for sale.

I for one would be pretty peeved if I missed out on such a 'find' knowing that I'd missed the chance to get my hands on it (and probably improve my workflow/quality in the process) only to find it was via a person whom I maybe communicated with daily via the forums but who could not tell me it was for sale cos of 'rules'.

On another motorcycle club forum I'm a member of they have a 'Market Place' forum where subjects like this can be 'ring-fenced' and at least people looking or selling know where to go without upsetting other members. Naturally if you get a one-post person logging in purely to sell his wife's car and disappearing without contributing long-term to the good of the forum, then that's not acceptable. But if its regular users informing other users of products that they may have a real use for, then I'm all for it.

Just my two-penneth.

With that in mind though, EBay is the best reflection of 'market value' as an item is only worth what someone will pay for it and you're probably not gonna get a wider forum of people seeing your item than on Ebay. I bought my Nikkor AFS 400mm f2.8 on Ebay recently for what I would say was 'a snip' and haven't looked back since.

Guy
Old 27 Oct 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1445373)   #10
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
But then he would be advertising, which is against the forum rules
Good evening Mr Sowman.......

The only problem is that not knowing what it is he is selling, it's difficult to know how to help........ Is it a point and shoot or SLR, film or digital? Different markets for all.

Mark - sorry I can't be more help
Old 27 Oct 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1445391)   #11
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok if advertising is not allowed. Mark please PM or email me your list of things for sale.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 27 Oct 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1445487)   #12
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi,

Cheers,
Mark.. I have sold all my old gear on eBay and whilst there are some nutters out there you can find decent, genuine buyers also..

My suggestion is put in a decent description that inspires confidence in you as a seller and use a photo of the actual gear.. Might be a little difficult at first as eBay uses a feedback system where buyers and sellers rate each other after trading, the idea being that after a few trades worth of feedback you get an idea of the sort of person the trader is..

PM me for an email address if you want to know more about this..

Regards
Old 27 Oct 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1445489)   #13
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
I belive he has a Canon f2.8 300mm lens for sale. He offerd it to me a few weeks ago, but I haven't got much cash at this time.

I don't think Mark is interested in advertising, he simply wants to offload a bit of equipment he doesn't use anymore. I gather most of you here know who Mark is or at least knows of him.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1445512)   #14
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just sold a used Sigma lens on ebay for just £10 less than it wouldve cost new at warehouseecpress... to somebody in the US at that. I discounted the mail by a couple of quid cos I felt almost embarassed I knew it was going to go well cos it had 15 watching it...a lot of it is the luck of the draw, how many more of the same thing are being sold at the same time etc. once the bidding starts you can get very lucky
Old 27 Oct 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1445516)   #15
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course if James was to say how much he was offered it for that wouldnt constitute advertising would it especially if it was just ballpark...in the region of
Old 27 Oct 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1445548)   #16
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
£1500
Old 28 Oct 2005, 17:29 (Ref:1446209)   #17
Andrew W
Racer

Zimbabwe
in Capitola, CA, USA (aka Paradise)
Andrew W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hey Mark...

I know we're both members of SportShooter and that a number of UK members do sell their gear in the Classifieds.

You can also specify that you only want to sell your gear to SS members only as well.

Andrew
Old 29 Oct 2005, 00:39 (Ref:1446467)   #18
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had a good sell on ebay once, bought a lens for 120 quid, and sold it for about 180!

Hated it aswell, but the guy who bought it was well pleased.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1448335)   #19
markcapilitan
Rookie

Ireland
Sligo, Ireland
markcapilitan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the replys...I've sold that lens now...it was a 300mm F2.8 BTW!

Mark
www.markcapilitan.com
Old 31 Oct 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1448840)   #20
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Well done Mark

Did you enjoy Japan and China?
Old 6 Jun 2006, 10:14 (Ref:1628338)   #21
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fully ascribe to the idea of offering items to your peers first, which is why I'd suggest dropping me a PM if you're interested in a 4MP pro body from a small Japanese concern beginning with 'C'.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 10:26 (Ref:1628348)   #22
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why don't you put an ad in the classified sales section of the site and then post a link to it in here. That way you can adertise whatever your selling and you won't get into trouble!
Old 6 Jun 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1628367)   #23
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks chezza, have placed an ad there - http://tentenths.com/forum/sr_classi...hp?do=ad&id=21

I'll add a photo later on.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1629381)   #24
ADEE
Racer

England
Harpenden
ADEE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i've been having a bit of a spring clean recently & have moved quite a bit on ebay & also www.fredmiranda.com (FM) - pretty US focused & so no takers for glass at UK prices but sold a 2yr old 200mm lens to a norwegian for a profit!

www.amateurphotographer.co.uk also have a buy/sell board but strict rules on being a regular forum member.

btw username dixona on ebay & FM