Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 May 2008, 16:35 (Ref:2204200)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
STR to become Scuderia Lancia????

Fiat (yes Fiat) are looking at buying into STR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScqJk...eature=related
Old 16 May 2008, 16:38 (Ref:2204204)   #2
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wonder to think what the Ascari family will say about all this. The Ascaris were well tied to Lancia project in the 1950s and, in some way, they saw amusing that Juan Manuel Fangio could drove the D50 to the championship in 1956. Because the "Chueco" had good relationship with Alberto, being such a friendly driver with motorsport people.
Old 16 May 2008, 16:44 (Ref:2204212)   #3
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What the hell does that video have to do with anything? I'm confused
Old 16 May 2008, 16:50 (Ref:2204221)   #4
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, clearly the wrong video. But quite a fast Vectra! Brings back memories of my 160mph drive on a nearby Autobahn on the way up to Spa once.....

....anyway we digress.

Fiat own Ferrari. They have stated that the relaunch of Lancia will be as a luxury brand, with Alfa Romeo as the sporty brand. I just don't see why they would do this.....

But then ................ http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20358.html
Old 16 May 2008, 17:26 (Ref:2204249)   #5
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone else have an image of a Martini F1 car?

Because im enjoying it.
Old 16 May 2008, 17:53 (Ref:2204266)   #6
vinegar
Rookie

vinegar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlake27
Lancia will be as a luxury brand, with Alfa Romeo as the sporty brand. I just don't see why they would do this.....
Mercedes, Renault, Toyota and Honda aren't predominantly sporting brands.
BMW may be perceived as sporting, but a lot of its range isnt. Even Ferrari isn't a purely sporting brand.

I don't see why not focusing on street racers would stop a company coming into F1, especially if they want a very quick boost to their global profile. Especially if that boost will stir memories of their past racing glories. Think of all the retrospectives in the motorsport press, the year or two of their history being recounted on global TV. And think particularly of the impact on a sector of the market made up of people who are generally past the age where they use sports cars as their mode of transport but still hanker after the association with sport and glory. Preferably with some added history.

Makes sense to me, especially as it is locally based, and a lot of the most complicated parts already exist in a sister operation.

We'll see.

Last edited by vinegar; 16 May 2008 at 17:57.
Old 16 May 2008, 18:02 (Ref:2204275)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev
What the hell does that video have to do with anything? I'm confused
Sorry about the vid.Not sure where the Hell that came from!
Old 16 May 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2204279)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlake27

But then ................ http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20358.html
That's the one!
Old 16 May 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2204294)   #9
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lancia or Alfa back in F1, sounds good to me, i wont hold my breath though.
Old 17 May 2008, 11:45 (Ref:2204664)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Why would Fiat, who are already in F1 (via Ferrari) want to turn around and spend an equal sum (or close to it) on "Team Lancia?"

In today's economic climate this makes no financial sense whatsoever.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 May 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2204667)   #11
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Why would Fiat, who are already in F1 (via Ferrari) want to turn around and spend an equal sum (or close to it) on "Team Lancia?"

You're right John, there's no way on earth FIAT shareholders will consent to owning and bank rolling 2 Formula One teams. If they acquire STR, it likely means they're going to sell Ferrari.
Old 17 May 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2204668)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSCC

Which is why Fiat will do it anyway and then expect someone else to bail them out.

Also,it hasn't stopped Fiat from being the main sponsor of Yamaha's front line MotoGP team.
Old 17 May 2008, 13:47 (Ref:2204719)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Being a sponsor in MotoGP and running an F1 team are very different things.

Fiat have only just recovered from serious financial bother, so I see this Lancia idea as unlikely. It would also be about as evocative as Jaguar Racing was.
Old 17 May 2008, 13:52 (Ref:2204723)   #14
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Being a sponsor in MotoGP and running an F1 team are very different things.

Fiat have only just recovered from serious financial bother, so I see this Lancia idea as unlikely. It would also be about as evocative as Jaguar Racing was.
Agreed completely.
Old 17 May 2008, 14:04 (Ref:2204729)   #15
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They're probably going to try and circumvent the customer chassis rules somehow and just run Ferraris. Whoop de do ... 4 Ferraris. Two to use as missiles, two to use for points ...