Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 29 Jun 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2719913)   #926
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was my understanding from something that Randy Barnard said earlier in the month (at Texas?) to the Indy Star that they would make some sort of statement on the 30th, but no final decision on the chassis builder will be made at that time.

What the Hell that means, I don't really know...maybe an update on the ICONIC's progress?

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 29 Jun 2010, 17:08 (Ref:2719923)   #927
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The longer they delay this, the harder it's going to be for whichever manufacturer they choose to design and build a new chassis in time for 2012.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 21:22 (Ref:2720061)   #928
Whosyermon
Rookie

United States
The Oil Coast of Florida
Whosyermon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=bjohnsonsmith;2714544]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post

Really? However, I think this going slightly off topic.
Bob probably is remembering when Colin introduced cheaper lighter and softer steel to Indy race car construction in 1969... and then had to withdraw his new cars before they even got to qualifications following 1 death and a second crash and fire that left the victim too badly scared to pose for the post race victory photos, so his twin brother had to sit in.

Or not... but maybe that was what Bob was thinking.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 05:25 (Ref:2720165)   #929
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so a tube frame car won't be safe at INDY speeds?
or are all those GT cars and Nascar tube frame animals hideously unsafe at speed?
a safety tub to allow for a tube frame variant would be pretty cool for the smaller teams and maybe everyone will get in the act-
all IRL goes to the Old silver crown spec...probably not.
carbon tubs and chassis it is then
Old 30 Jun 2010, 05:56 (Ref:2720172)   #930
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today is supposed to be the day that at least some news is released about the ICONIC panel's decision.

There's a new bunch of cars ready to take the track...safer, flashier, with brand identity and manufacturer involvement built right in.

They will compete in the Nascar Nationwide Series, and it re-starts this weekend at Daytona.

Must be my head is too full of IndyCar sand, 'cause I didn't see much about this until watching ESPN tonight. The new Mustangs and Challengers, based around Cup car chassis, look GREAT.

This is going to be major buzz, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the changes get fast-tracked for competition into the Sprint Cup Series as well. The plan at present to do so is indefinite, perhaps a few years away.

Nascar is bound to see a bounce, in ratings and attendance, in both divisions. When you see the cars, you'll know what I mean.

Somebody's piece of pie just went to the other table.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2720444)   #931
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indy Car Just Sent This News Release a Few Minutes Ago:

IZOD INDYCAR CAR SERIES TO ANNOUNCE FUTURE CAR STRATEGY JULY 14

INDIANAPOLIS (June 30, 2010) - The IZOD IndyCar Series will announce details regarding its future car strategy during a media event Wednesday, July 14, in Indianapolis. More information about the event will follow.

"The ICONIC Advisory Committee continues to work diligently to finalize our future car strategy and a decision is imminent," said Randy Bernard, chief executive officer, IndyCar. "We look forward to unveiling our plans to our teams, drivers, partners, fans and the media during a special event on July 14."

IZOD IndyCar Series officials and ICONIC (Innovative, Competitive, Open-Wheel, New, Industry-Relevant, Cost-Effective) Advisory Committee members will not comment about the next generation of chassis until the July 14 news conference.

The IZOD IndyCar Series formed the ICONIC Advisory Committee, featuring various industry experts and representatives, to aid in its search for its future car. The committee has been tasked with reviewing, researching and making a recommendation on the next generation of IZOD IndyCar Series engine and chassis. The ICONIC Advisory Committee includes Brian Barnhart, Tony Cotman, Gil de Ferran, Eddie Gossage, Rick Long, Tony Purnell and Neil Ressler. Retired Air Force Gen. William R. Looney III is the moderator.

Looks like we'll know a lot more in two weeks...

Old 1 Jul 2010, 13:04 (Ref:2720745)   #932
Whosyermon
Rookie

United States
The Oil Coast of Florida
I can wait until the 14th since it's now clear it won't be that Delta-winged Batmobile... I can relax.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 15:11 (Ref:2720797)   #933
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosyermon View Post
I can wait until the 14th since it's now clear it won't be that Delta-winged Batmobile... I can relax.
You never know.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2720910)   #934
Whosyermon
Rookie

United States
The Oil Coast of Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
You never know.
Oh I think they've gotten enough fan comment on the Delta-wing to put it to rest... still it was pretty popular with white male 9 to 12 y/o demographic. However most of them were expecting to see Batman climb out of it.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 20:14 (Ref:2720912)   #935
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 1 Jul 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2720924)   #936
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
For some reason I couldn't see the article on-line, but the front page of the Indy Star had a brief article about the upcoming announcement, plus the backgrounds and the assessment

He figures that Lola and Dallare are "Likely," Swift as a "Possible," BAT as a "Maybe" and DeltaWing as an 'Unlikely"

It is his opinion, however...nothing to back it up...just a gut feeling.

ICONIC has been as tight as a drum on this and I'm hearing not one whisper here in Indy about who might have the inside track...

I would think that they would give the team owners and such a "heads-up" before doing the formal announcement, and if they do, that would be the only "leak" we might get.

The members of ICONIC signed Non-Disclosure Agreements as a condition to serve, so they are keeping their mouths shut.

Old 1 Jul 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2720928)   #937
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I would really like to see Lola get it.
Old 2 Jul 2010, 13:21 (Ref:2721135)   #938
Whosyermon
Rookie

United States
The Oil Coast of Florida
Quote:
I would really like to see Lola get it.
Because she walks like a woman but talks like a man... or is it because her Champagne tastes just like Cherry-cola??

I'd like to see more than one approved... 3 would be cool and that could include lay-lo-lo-lo-lo Lola.
Old 2 Jul 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2721159)   #939
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosyermon View Post
Because she walks like a woman but talks like a man... or is it because her Champagne tastes just like Cherry-cola??

I'd like to see more than one approved... 3 would be cool and that could include lay-lo-lo-lo-lo Lola.
A Kinks fan? I always liked them, thought they were more innovative than either the Beatles or Stones.

3 chassis would be cool but I don't think the current economic situation will allow it, which is why I think the Lola would be work so well, as it has multi configuration chassis that can also be used in Indy Lites.
Old 2 Jul 2010, 15:03 (Ref:2721173)   #940
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be a better idea to go with one considering the financial climate.
Old 2 Jul 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2721195)   #941
Whosyermon
Rookie

United States
The Oil Coast of Florida
Quote:
A Kinks fan?
Well I play one from time to time on auto racing message boards...

BTW I would like to see three... but that's not what I expect.
Old 2 Jul 2010, 17:20 (Ref:2721216)   #942
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
I think it would be a better idea to go with one considering the financial climate.
As I said many pages ago, the decision they make will likely be the most boring solution possible along with their boring engine selection to further induce boredom into fans watching the same exact cars run in a train with the drivers foot to the floor with the same boring engines from the same boring car company.

These guys are punting on the first down and copping out. Especially with ratings like Iowa with a .09, the end is near. With the economy slipping into a depression for good if you don't have an exceptional product you are done for.

With the snoozer vague engine regs they put out and likely aiming towards another one make car, I think that is all she wrote. Whether it dies this year or in 2013, wont matter cause it wont survive.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 02:30 (Ref:2721348)   #943
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
As I said many pages ago, the decision they make will likely be the most boring solution possible along with their boring engine selection to further induce boredom into fans watching the same exact cars run in a train with the drivers foot to the floor with the same boring engines from the same boring car company.

These guys are punting on the first down and copping out. Especially with ratings like Iowa with a .09, the end is near. With the economy slipping into a depression for good if you don't have an exceptional product you are done for.

With the snoozer vague engine regs they put out and likely aiming towards another one make car, I think that is all she wrote. Whether it dies this year or in 2013, wont matter cause it wont survive.
It's kind of erie that IndyCar is in the same position CART was just a few years ago. CART came out with a new chassis and were cranking out street races that didn't last more than one or two seasons. But they didn't do much to bring in fans (granted, the CART/IRL split didn't help matters, either).

IMHO, I don't care what chassis they select. It's the competition that is boring. Whatever they select, it better allow for more passing, especially in the road and street courses.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 02:54 (Ref:2721352)   #944
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605 View Post
IMHO, I don't care what chassis they select. It's the competition that is boring. Whatever they select, it better allow for more passing, especially in the road and street courses.
The new chassis will be designed to race on all tracks. The problem with the Dallara, apart fom it's appearance, is it was designed just for ovals not road/street courses.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 04:40 (Ref:2721355)   #945
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
MS, the product at Iowa was pretty exceptional, and would you honestly expect a better rating for anything on Versus?

You keep posting here. If you're so bloody dissatisfied, DO something about it! Harass the powers-that-be till they can't take it anymore!

If not, go back to watching your Shell Oil films of AAA and USAC Indy Car races, on dirt ovals and before all those "furriners" with their mid-engined cars showed up, and leave us in peace. That is, if you're just never going to make a decent point and only going to complain all of the time.

Amar, Denver lasted five seasons. Counting this year, Edmonton is on six. St. Petersburg is still going. The crowds at San Jose looked good in the stands, and there was no sign of things being up after the third event. And all of those temporary circuits put on decent racing, as did Las Vegas in 2007. Houston would have been helped by NOT having that chicane in the front stretch, but that course was reasonable for competition as well.

Hey, they may be street circuits, but the the cookie-cutter ovals haven't been cutting it lately, and as far as I'm concerned, the temporary courses were.

BJS, the Dallara could honestly look a whole heck of a lot worse. It will be nice though to have a machine better suited to road racing.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 04:49 (Ref:2721356)   #946
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Whether it dies this year or in 2013, wont matter cause it wont survive.
What's going to take its place, or do you think that's the end of AOWR?
Old 3 Jul 2010, 05:07 (Ref:2721360)   #947
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
The ratings for Iowa finally appeared today on Sports Business Watch, 0.2. EVERY race on Versus has been better.

That's infomercial ratings. The Ginsu Steak Knife 250. Sucks like an Orek vacuum.

Versus proved they could be found by a large enough audience to grab a 3.0 share for a mid-week National Hockey League playoff game. Viewers all had many opportunities to see the Izod IndyCar commercials during the Versus hockey programming.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 05:28 (Ref:2721361)   #948
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
What's going to take its place, or do you think that's the end of AOWR?
Of what I have heard, what few cash paying sponsors are left are very dissatisfied and you might see some names disappear by the start of next season.

And the pay driver market is drying up which doesn't help.

And to top it off there could be some crankyness over what chassis ends up getting selected.

Ropin Randy is throwing whatever he can at the ceiling to see what sticks. But he's got a near impossible job. The sport has lost 80-90% of it's fan base since 1995 and few people are left that know or care.

I'm tending to think this long delayed "announcement" or "decision" will ultimately end up redundant and pointless.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 05:36 (Ref:2721363)   #949
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Of what I have heard, what few cash paying sponsors are left are very dissatisfied and you might see some names disappear by the start of next season.

And the pay driver market is drying up which doesn't help.

And to top it off there could be some crankyness over what chassis ends up getting selected.

Ropin Randy is throwing whatever he can at the ceiling to see what sticks. But he's got a near impossible job. The sport has lost 80-90% of it's fan base since 1995 and few people are left that know or care.

I'm tending to think this long delayed "announcement" or "decision" will ultimately end up redundant and pointless.
That's all interesting stuff but that doesn't answer my question, what's going to take its place, or do you think that's the end of AOWR?
Old 3 Jul 2010, 12:08 (Ref:2721436)   #950
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not wanting to go OT here, but it does tie in to some recent comments.. Does anyone think the blatant Indycar advertisment during NASCAR races will help Indycar? The Toronto race is being supported by the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series too, and even the commentators in last nights Subway 250 at Daytona referenced to the Indy 500. And Dario's NH lap too.