Nelson Piquet 0 0%
Other 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 Aug 2001, 19:28 (Ref:128183)   #1
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The greatest of all time

Just wondering who you think was the greatest driver of all time.
Old 9 Aug 2001, 22:04 (Ref:128260)   #2
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Impossible to answer correctly. This subject comes up reguarly here and will continue to for the rest of time
The only way you can really judge this would be by the statistics and even these are only a guideline. As has been said before, to be fair,
you judge them against their peers from the period they raced in.
That puts Big Shu on top at present.Anyway, here we go again
Old 10 Aug 2001, 02:07 (Ref:128338)   #3
riusnow
Racer

riusnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed.

I thought I was just on this ride.
Oh well...
Old 10 Aug 2001, 02:23 (Ref:128345)   #4
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greatest of all time is something that can never be defined. The reason is simple: there's absolutely no way that it can be determined. In ball/puck sports, it's a bit easier to tell (sabermetricians have weird ways of coming up with ways to statistically figure this out, but even then it's sticky at best). Auto racing, on the other hand, is much more difficult due to the fact that each era has different cars and different challenges from those cars that the driver must navigate. Could Michael Schumacher or Ayrton Senna thrive driving 60's era cars? Pre-war cars? Cars twenty years down the road?

Racing has never been too much about the numbers. There's no way to diagram it to the nearest tenth. Hence, there's no real way to figure out who is the best, because there's always an excuse behind those numbers and there's no way to adjust them to get rid of those arguments. There's many that believe that Michael's 50+ wins are due to the lack of competition. Or that Fangio's five championships are due to that he's always had a top drive.

The best of all time is a purely subjective idea, and absolutely nothing concrete. It's only an opinion. My personal opinion? Alberto Ascari. His 1952 campaign was the most dominant season ever. But there's a dozen or so drivers that a legitimate case could be made for greatest driver ever.
Old 10 Aug 2001, 08:48 (Ref:128423)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by riusnow
I thought I was just on this ride.
Me Too - I'm getting off before it makes me sick

Welcome to the forum paulzinho
Old 10 Aug 2001, 11:09 (Ref:128453)   #6
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome to the boards, Paulzinho.

I haven't voted in this poll because it's hard to compare - I could choose a greatest driver from separate eras, but not overall.
Old 10 Aug 2001, 11:27 (Ref:128463)   #7
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fair enough I know its hard to compare. I could easily have added another 5 drivers to the list but i just wondered who you had a preference for just out of curiosity
Old 10 Aug 2001, 11:38 (Ref:128467)   #8
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nuvolari - 'nuff said!!
Old 10 Aug 2001, 12:22 (Ref:128490)   #9
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of our recent threads went back to the beginning of the 20th century with names, and then I asked for David Bruce-Brown to be added... it's impossible to stop when you want to put all the possible contenders...

But between Nuvolari, Fangio and a handful of others you have the crux of the problem... they can't be directly compared, the cars were so different, the racing so different...

Don't despair, however, your question will get a variety of answers.
Old 10 Aug 2001, 12:53 (Ref:128498)   #10
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with most of you guys, it is hard to pick the greatest player of all times, because all eras were different. I think the best actual driver is tgf, but only because ferrari is dominating the sport, last decade I think ayrton was the best. And so on, all decades had it`s top driver or drivers, so, I think it better to say all the drivers in this poll were good for their time.
Old 10 Aug 2001, 15:15 (Ref:128553)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jim Clark. Simple as that.

Unassuming Scottish chap who possessed a vast natural talent for driving, who in only a few years totally dominated F1 only to be cruelly taken away from us, sad to say, much like Ayrton.

To put it into perspective, Chris Amon said this after Clark's death:

'If it could happen to him, what chance did the rest of us have? I think we all felt that. It seemed like we'd lost our leader.'

I'm not saying my opinion is correct, as I agree that it is too difficult to compare, but if I was to choose, Jim Clark is the man.
Old 10 Aug 2001, 16:48 (Ref:128566)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The greatest ever is about to come...

Those with free spirit and race in the blood will recognize Him when He comes...

He will be above all the others, and we shall pray for seeing race.

Wait, and we all see the greatest ever...
Old 10 Aug 2001, 19:41 (Ref:128627)   #13
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bon,
are you referring to James Courtenay?
Old 10 Aug 2001, 21:39 (Ref:128655)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I you feel so, that can be !

(Ooops... I was quoting the bible )
Old 11 Aug 2001, 19:40 (Ref:128986)   #15
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, so difficult. But for me, taking into everything, i'd say;

FANGIO
SENNA
CLARK
SCHUMACHER
STEWART
Old 11 Aug 2001, 22:41 (Ref:129035)   #16
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Nigel!!!!!
They must have been the size of water melons.
Any one who saw him at New Hampshire in 1993 would agree
Old 12 Aug 2001, 19:52 (Ref:129308)   #17
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lola
Nigel!!!!!
They must have been the size of water melons.
Any one who saw him at New Hampshire in 1993 would agree
Are you refering to the size of his nuts as water melons or was he simply standing next to a large fronted girl???
Old 12 Aug 2001, 20:36 (Ref:129326)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Old 12 Aug 2001, 22:58 (Ref:129389)   #19
Fone
Rookie

Fone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna and then Clark
Old 13 Aug 2001, 11:04 (Ref:129583)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nuvolari and his reincarnation, St. Gilles, for the sheer pleasure of sseeing them drive.

Prost for results.
Old 13 Aug 2001, 16:02 (Ref:129713)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to vote for Gilles Villeneuve. If there was one driver I wish I could have seen drive in person, it was him.
Old 13 Aug 2001, 20:39 (Ref:129885)   #22
PoweredByHonda
Racer

PoweredByHonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prost, Followed closely by Gilles Villeneuve, Ayrton Senna, and Jacques Villeneuve.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 02:10 (Ref:130041)   #23
AAReagles
Rookie

AAReagles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Vitesse
Nuvolari - 'nuff said!!
Now there's a name that should have been included. The 'Flying Mantuan' was quite impressive for his time. Particularly his upset victory over the mighty German teams at the Ring in 1935.

While his name was left off, that brings into mind a question I have myself:

Why the hell isn't Dan Gurney's name on there ?!! .... well ok, I know, we have the "Other"box to vote in. Actually, not sure if I would still vote for Dan, though I could provide arguements as to why I would as well. Same goes for Andretti.

Jim Clark was my choice. Though Senna would probably be 2nd.

Clark had several things going for him:

Versital driver.

He maintained a since of loyalty to his team and coach, Colin Chapman.

He didn't object to having another qualified driver in his ranks, G. Hill.

Like Senna, he had his sensational moments too... particulary Monza 67'.

Most importantly, for me anyhow. He never became involved in the nonsense like Jones, Senna, Prost & M. Schumacher have. Running drivers off the road.

True, Clark raced in an era much different from these days, nevertheless, like Gilles Villeneuve, Clark never felt the necessity to resort to such behavior out on the track... he was THAT good.

So I went with Clark as to me, he had the total package: talent, competitiveness, and good sportsmanship.

Note: whoever said they wished they could see GV racing if any driver at all, I agree with 110%. As a kid, I came close to ditching school and taking off several hundred miles to see him race at Long Beach in 1982... wish I'd done it now. Nevertheless, what I was able to watch on TV from 1979-1981 (only saw 82' Long Beach GP, as American TV sucked then... still does, except for SPEEDVISION) made up for it. Dijon 79' to Austria 81'... it was all the same, while he was in the race. Never a dull moment.

Last edited by AAReagles; 14 Aug 2001 at 02:12.