Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Aug 2018, 12:46 (Ref:3841833)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Goodwood 77th Members' Meeting

Programme to be Issued.
Old 6 Aug 2018, 21:18 (Ref:3841947)   #2
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The same weekend as BTCC at Brands.
Maybe not so many current Touring Car drivers on hand!
A cunning ploy or just bad (or good) timing?
Old 7 Aug 2018, 08:02 (Ref:3842015)   #3
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
......Or another example of the bubble in which race organisers operate. Not only will the clash cause driver problems but there'll be a dearth of marshals in the south with two major meetings taking place.

Sometimes you just want to bash their heads together. Surely it's time for the MSA to be involved in setting calendars?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 7 Aug 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3842031)   #4
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Goodwood will have the date Goodwood wants!
Old 7 Aug 2018, 09:38 (Ref:3842032)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
So has the date moved in the hope of avoiding snow? The major (Historic) Euro organisers will have started their seasons by then as well, so expect at least one other clash!
Old 7 Aug 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3842123)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparently the reason is weather related.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 18:24 (Ref:3842165)   #7
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps they are trying to rescue the entries of a lot of unhappy drivers from this years meeting.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 05:33 (Ref:3863396)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
"Mini madness at 77MM"

"Named in honour of the current Duke’s grandmother, Elizabeth ‘Betty’ Richmond, we are excited to announce a further new race has been added to the 77th Members’ Meeting schedule: The Betty Richmond Trophy, for pre-66 Mini saloons and variants.

Celebrating 60 years since the Mini began capturing the hearts of the nation, this one-make race is certain to showcase some flat-out racing and some of the closest battles of the weekend."
Old 15 Nov 2018, 07:59 (Ref:3863413)   #9
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Oh bugger . Much as I love watching Minis battle with Mustangs and the like the prospect of a Mini only race does not appeal .
Old 15 Nov 2018, 08:17 (Ref:3863422)   #10
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Oh bugger . Much as I love watching Minis battle with Mustangs and the like the prospect of a Mini only race does not appeal .
No, but they'll be good in the snow!
Old 15 Nov 2018, 08:32 (Ref:3863425)   #11
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
As a one-time Mini Se7en racer I think it'll be excellent. Who will come second to Nick Swift?
Old 15 Nov 2018, 08:42 (Ref:3863427)   #12
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Who will come second to Nick Swift?

I'm sure that the Jordans and some other preparers are already creating their hot-rod Minis as we speak!
Old 15 Nov 2018, 12:10 (Ref:3863464)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The "and variants" may include the Broadspeed Coupe" if there are any examples available, built, restored or invented by that time.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 12:24 (Ref:3863466)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The "and variants" may include the Broadspeed Coupe" if there are any examples available, built, restored or invented by that time.
Had a quick search and can’t find any pics of a Broadspeed GT racing in modern times in ‘FIA’ spec, which surprised me! There is an Ogle SX1000 that has appeared at Goody, but that’s considerable more modified from the standard Mini shape than a Broadspeed GT....

As the event clashes with a BTCC round, that should rule out a few potential entrants.....
Old 15 Nov 2018, 12:28 (Ref:3863467)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Had a quick search and can’t find any pics of a Broadspeed GT racing in modern times in ‘FIA’ spec, which surprised me! There is an Ogle SX1000 that has appeared at Goody, but that’s considerable more modified from the standard Mini shape than a Broadspeed GT....
I fully expect to see one there, complete with the necessary paperwork.
Old 15 Nov 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3863477)   #16
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

As the event clashes with a BTCC round, that should rule out a few potential entrants.....
Probably about half the grid,I think potential would be almost certain entrants at Goodwood.
Old 5 Dec 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3868087)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Headline in Historic News section of latest MotorSport Mag-

“Goodwood might rue BTCC clash” !!!!!

So says a BTCC driver.

I may possibly not agree......
Old 5 Dec 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3868121)   #18
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 5 Dec 2018, 19:48 (Ref:3868124)   #19
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I dare say some dilettante MM visitors (or are they 'guests' in Goodwood's parallel universe ?) might be disappointed not to be able to pursue Jason and Gordon et al for selfies but I go mainly for the cars, not the drivers...

Not that some BTCC pedallers aren't seriously quick drivers but AN Other in a Cobra or Ash Sutton in a Levorg -not much contest, right ?
Old 5 Dec 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3868135)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Well, in my opinion (others of course may want to disagree ), the two drivers quoted have made themselves look a bit silly. I’m being polite here......

Off topic, but there is also an excellent piece by Doug Nye about the state of historic racing. In his opinion, of course! (But spot on....)

Last edited by Mike Bell; 5 Dec 2018 at 21:18. Reason: Sp
Old 6 Dec 2018, 05:21 (Ref:3868197)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Who are the two drivers?
Old 6 Dec 2018, 06:08 (Ref:3868200)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Neal, and I thought the other was Sutton- but it’s actually his father who has been quoted. They may have a point, but it does come over like when kids have had a couple of their favourite toys taken away.....

Just to clarify- BTCC clashes affect the Revival and MM.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 06:16 (Ref:3868201)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well I sympathise it's an event where they can race with absolutly no responsibility for the consequences.

But there is the point that Jordan and Team Dynamics are now into building "historic" racing cars. They bring quite a few cars to the events. You may recall I raised this issie in another thread.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 07:21 (Ref:3868210)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
On your second point- they’ll have to do what Delta and other preparers do when they have cars running at different meetings on the same day or weekend- spilt themselves in two!
Old 6 Dec 2018, 07:30 (Ref:3868211)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, my first point was somewhat TIC.