Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 23 Jan 2020, 20:56 (Ref:3953004)   #1
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Sebring 2020!

Okay, time to start a dedicated thread for Sebring 2020. Super Sebring, WEC and IMSA 2.0

Last year I hosted several folks from outside the states, 2 Brits (one of them puked all over Sebring, sorry about that), 2 Dutch (they were very well behaved), 1 Aussie (he will be missed this year, his Australian jet fuel whiskey from hell will not), and 1 Romanian.

Fun was had by all. Really too much fun. Many new friends were made, and people became fans of Sebring for life.

The two Brits will be returning again this year (can you believe it's actually cheaper for them to fly to the US and camp at Sebring than camping at Le Mans???!!!), bringing another new Brit with them. Our Romanian friend is also returning. Like I said, they had such a good time they committed to coming again this year within weeks of last.

Also new to attend with my crew will be three of my cousins, one flying in from San Diego. Feel free to give this guy grief for the following. In 2015 I was going to Le Mans (my third time there). When he heard I was going to France he asked if he could tag along as he'd never been outside North America. This guy goes to Le Mans with me for a day of scrutineering. But then leaves the Wednesday of race week to chase skirt in Germany, because watching cars for 24 hours would be "boring". Well, he deserves a bunch of grief for that, but he's certainly not going to see boring at Sebring!

We'll be in our regular spot just by the restrooms on the inside of turn 7. For sure though we'll be making regular stops at Scotty P's site as well. This time we'll be sure to bring more beverages to share as I worry we drank much of their stash last year. I did mention my concern to the more coherent of our group and they reminded me (it was Sebring, don't expect me to remember this stuff) that we had brought stuff to share, David with a very tasty brandy (I think that's what it was), and William with the aforementioned nasty jet fuel. But anyhow, we'll step up our game this year.

Tickets arrived last week. Super pumped!

Who else is coming and excited???

Feel free to ask any questions here, you'll be sure to get an answer.
Old 23 Jan 2020, 21:07 (Ref:3953006)   #2
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whisky

Can't wait...
Old 23 Jan 2020, 21:13 (Ref:3953009)   #3
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
Whisky
See, it was so good I can't remember it.
Old 24 Jan 2020, 02:29 (Ref:3953041)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
... This guy goes to Le Mans with me for a day of scrutineering. But then leaves the Wednesday of race week to chase skirt in Germany, because watching cars for 24 hours would be "boring". ...

Feel free to ask any questions here, you'll be sure to get an answer.
Question. Was he successful in Germany?

I’m going.
Old 24 Jan 2020, 04:37 (Ref:3953053)   #5
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Question. Was he successful in Germany?

I’m going.
Ha ha. Loser was not successful in Germany. Better looking women in France anyway if you ask me, but I suppose pickings are slim during Le Mans.

Glad to hear you’re going. Have you been before?
Old 24 Jan 2020, 08:39 (Ref:3953074)   #6
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having thoroughly enjoyed Sebring in 2019, even with the rain, I'd highly recommend it. We won't be there this year as we are making our annual transatlantic trip in the summer to include IMSA at the Glen and the Climb to the Clouds at Mt Washington.

For spectator photographers, Sebring is one of the best - here's our guide so you can plan ahead - https://www.pistonclick.com/sebring-...tional-raceway
Old 24 Jan 2020, 15:48 (Ref:3953150)   #7
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
scottypinthemix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we'll be in the usual spot.
We rented an RV this year. Dude is going to drop it off Wed morning at come get it Sunday afternoon.

LOL. 'whiskey' I don't know how to explain what the stuff did to my brain. I'm pretty sure it actually was jet fuel.

Our group will need your help with the rookie that we'll have this year. He's a rugby player, so we need to haze him pretty hard. We sort of let Lance off easy last year.

countdown clock
Old 25 Jan 2020, 20:45 (Ref:3953440)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I’m working out what we need to take. Just checked you could listen to the radio, for the inexperienced IMSA radio is on:

730 AM and Sirius 216, XM 201, Sirius XM Web Channel 972 and locally on 99.1 FM, 730 AM and 1050 AM.

https://www.imsa.com/how-watch/imsa-radio
Old 25 Jan 2020, 20:58 (Ref:3953458)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
What are the food outlets like? Are they open all the time and could you survive on them?
Old 25 Jan 2020, 22:19 (Ref:3953524)   #10
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I’m working out what we need to take. Just checked you could listen to the radio, for the inexperienced IMSA radio is on:

730 AM and Sirius 216, XM 201, Sirius XM Web Channel 972 and locally on 99.1 FM, 730 AM and 1050 AM.

https://www.imsa.com/how-watch/imsa-radio
Pretty sure we could only pick up one of AM stations and it was horrid. None of the FMs come well, so I carry my scanner and go 454.000.

Quote:
What are the food outlets like? Are they open all the time and could you survive on them?
Think they are all up on the Midway and around the paddock. Never had any of them.
Old 25 Jan 2020, 22:23 (Ref:3953526)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Cheers.

Working out what we take to cook things. Ideally would just cover breakfast and then buy stuff for ease.
Old 25 Jan 2020, 22:30 (Ref:3953530)   #12
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Cheers.

Working out what we take to cook things. Ideally would just cover breakfast and then buy stuff for ease.
I'd take all you could. Sandwiches for lunch or something.

I'm hoping to go and potentially rally some troops here. If that happens, we can probably help with parts of this, but plan for the worst.

And I have come to not trust track food anywhere...
Old 25 Jan 2020, 23:17 (Ref:3953549)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

I'm hoping to go and potentially rally some troops here. If that happens, we can probably help with parts of this, but plan for the worst.

Sadly I'm saving the pennies for a trip to Greece and Italy this summer. And yes I'd rather spend the money on Sebring but it isn't my decision. A wedding is involved for my wife's friend. We are also taking our oldest son for some reason.
Old 25 Jan 2020, 23:42 (Ref:3953567)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:

I’ll stock up and bring a bottle
Old 25 Jan 2020, 23:43 (Ref:3953568)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Sadly I'm saving the pennies for a trip to Greece and Italy this summer. And yes I'd rather spend the money on Sebring but it isn't my decision. A wedding is involved for my wife's friend. We are also taking our oldest son for some reason.
Can they get married in Florida?
Old 26 Jan 2020, 00:49 (Ref:3953595)   #16
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I'd rather go to Greece and Italy....
Old 26 Jan 2020, 01:30 (Ref:3953607)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Is that because you can get the international TV feed for free there?
Old 26 Jan 2020, 23:05 (Ref:3953928)   #18
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Quote:
There are several on the midway that are open until very late and again re-open pretty early (just not sure if they're open 24 hours or not). There are also quite a few in the paddock. They're definitely edible, just not particularly healthy.

Why not grab an inexpensive cooler somewhere and hit up the grocery store? I tend to head to the store every morning (except for Saturday) and stock up on ice, extra beverages and food that is forgotten. Little tip for you, if you leave (getting out is no problem, just be sure to get a pass-out), when coming back don't go in through the main entrance where the big line is (it can take a really long time), go through the entrance just before that towards will call, there's a side entrance where they'll check your tickets and wave your car right in, never any line.
Old 27 Jan 2020, 04:04 (Ref:3953941)   #19
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
That's on the pre-Petit agenda here, think Morgan is planning around Labor Day for Italy but I'm leaving that to her. I'm just trying to get the trip from Florence to Ferrari included in the trip, if I'm that close I might as well.

Sadly I think it cuts out another race trip worth it for Historics cars at Road America and the Shadowfest this summer.
Old 27 Jan 2020, 13:11 (Ref:3954003)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
That's on the pre-Petit agenda here, think Morgan is planning around Labor Day for Italy but I'm leaving that to her. I'm just trying to get the trip from Florence to Ferrari included in the trip, if I'm that close I might as well.

Sadly I think it cuts out another race trip worth it for Historics cars at Road America and the Shadowfest this summer.
Nice! Minus missing shadows!

Quote:
Is that because you can get the international TV feed for free there?
Correct! That may end up being cheaper than actually paying for streaming services!
Old 27 Jan 2020, 22:14 (Ref:3954112)   #21
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I'm going again this year, after enjoying my first trip in 2019.

I have to be back in the UK for Monday morning, which means catching a 1925 flight from Orlando on Saturday night, so I'll only see the first 4 hours of the 12 Hour. I will, however, be there from first thing Thursday so I'll get to see most of the practice sessions and the support races.

I found food options were great, though expensive. Toilets are terrible. Signage is almost non-existent. I kept looking for the famous raucous party zones but I just saw lots of blokes having a fun time. I slept in the car right by the legendary flagpole - lovely and quiet! Viewing is excellent. Photo angles are many, apart from at T17 which seemed to be all sponsor areas.

2019 was hot, humid and wet. Not that much fun weather wise. I'm hoping for weather more like Daytona this weekend.

Sebring still won't post tickets outside the USA, which is a bit...20th century. Will Call is literally someone going through a pile of envelopes to find the one with your name on it. Everyone is very helpful and friendly.

It's a great event, unlike anything else I've been to. The griminess and rough edges are part of what makes it fun. There's no track like it, no event like it.

Last edited by Anyopenroad; 27 Jan 2020 at 22:29.
Old 27 Jan 2020, 23:14 (Ref:3954122)   #22
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I'm going again this year, after enjoying my first trip in 2019.

I have to be back in the UK for Monday morning, which means catching a 1925 flight from Orlando on Saturday night, so I'll only see the first 4 hours of the 12 Hour. I will, however, be there from first thing Thursday so I'll get to see most of the practice sessions and the support races.

I found food options were great, though expensive. Toilets are terrible. Signage is almost non-existent. I kept looking for the famous raucous party zones but I just saw lots of blokes having a fun time. I slept in the car right by the legendary flagpole - lovely and quiet! Viewing is excellent. Photo angles are many, apart from at T17 which seemed to be all sponsor areas.

2019 was hot, humid and wet. Not that much fun weather wise. I'm hoping for weather more like Daytona this weekend.

Sebring still won't post tickets outside the USA, which is a bit...20th century. Will Call is literally someone going through a pile of envelopes to find the one with your name on it. Everyone is very helpful and friendly.

It's a great event, unlike anything else I've been to. The griminess and rough edges are part of what makes it fun. There's no track like it, no event like it.
You're welcome to meet up with our crew on Thursday or Friday night if you want to experience the party situation. We've got a group of about 25 and we tend to hit all the known spots. If you're only there for that short period you need to make the most of it!
Old 28 Jan 2020, 08:22 (Ref:3954149)   #23
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
You're welcome to meet up with our crew on Thursday or Friday night if you want to experience the party situation. We've got a group of about 25 and we tend to hit all the known spots. If you're only there for that short period you need to make the most of it!
That’s very kind, thank you. I’m just there to take photos though - that doesn’t mix well with beer!

My comment was less an expression of regret at not finding a party, more of a reassurance to newbies that this is a perfectly easy-going event, not the wild Spring Break carnage you might expect from reading the more excitable reviews.
Old 6 Mar 2020, 19:32 (Ref:3962012)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Pretty sure we could only pick up one of AM stations and it was horrid. None of the FMs come well, so I carry my scanner and go 454.000.
I bought some new radio headphones, because I couldn't find my old ones. Then I found them. Still the new ones are AM and FM so covers more bases.

I think I'm ready to go...

Adam
Old 7 Mar 2020, 02:55 (Ref:3962066)   #25
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I bought some new radio headphones, because I couldn't find my old ones. Then I found them. Still the new ones are AM and FM so covers more bases.

I think I'm ready to go...

Adam
Man, I'm jealous. Turns out, I need to be a good father for a bit and won't be able to make it. I'm using my last vacation days for spending time with the kids.

With no actual PA and desires to follow the show with commentary, the AM is better than nothing.

Enjoy!!!