Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 May 2021, 00:53 (Ref:4050419)   #1
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shannons SMP meeting last weekend

Attached for interest a very incisive story on this meeting.

I commend for your reading:

http://www.theracetorque.com/2021/05...annons-sydney/

Some points i noted:

Far too many categories for one meeting.

Why have TA2 and TCM on same program?

Why have Radicals and Prototypes in separate races?

For your comments and views......
Old 9 May 2021, 01:33 (Ref:4050422)   #2
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Hatchet job

I cant support "too many categories" , in fact i thought there was room for 1 more. Harks back to the great old days of amaroo in 70s and 80s.
Are you worried people will get too entertained or have too much enjoyment?

why ta2 and tcm? totally different types of cars - i cant even see how they relate?
the main game has supercars, super2, superutes, and tcm.... which are almost the same cars with different panels.

radicals and prototypes have some overlap but prototypes include the lemans type closed cockpit, radicals had their own moment
going back to 70s and 80s they commonly had the atcc combined race, then later the 3 litres and under also
got their own event

Im really having problems with "too many races" in 50 years i have never heard that complaints. Yeh there wasnt enough time watching an empty track, they kept putting bloody race cars on it"
Old 9 May 2021, 06:07 (Ref:4050437)   #3
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Hatchet job
Don't think so, given that The Race Torque crew (or at least some of them) are employed at ARG events.

I think that the linked article is simply running through good and bad points. The point made about "too many categories" is in regard to competitor wishes - which can be quite different from spectators.

Completely agree on the point re morning gate control - too often something that is not done right and hopefully the organisers will have it sorted another time.

To me, the absolute highlight of these events so far has been TA2 - far and away the best thing in the ARG stable. Hopefully some of the other classes will be able to work their way forward and get better too, after a definitely tough 2020.
Old 9 May 2021, 12:34 (Ref:4050513)   #4
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Historic events seem to be able to run 50 races in 3 days easily enough.
Old 9 May 2021, 22:14 (Ref:4050719)   #5
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suppose they're not having to pause for constant media fluff BS.
Old 10 May 2021, 01:34 (Ref:4050742)   #6
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Why have TA2 and TCM on same program?
TA2 and TCM are chalk and cheese. If you have Group N and TCM on the same bill I might ask the question.

The comment about the TV coverage is bang on - the coverage from SMP was excellent.

I did really enjoy the TA2 races, I love the fact that the cars move around and you have to muscle them, for me it is a bit reminiscent of the earlier/pre Supercar years when the cars were not so much on rails.
Old 10 May 2021, 09:27 (Ref:4050801)   #7
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The meeting was great, with the 'optional' 2:30 exit time if you were happy to leave after the TCRs, I reckon it was the best meeting Ive been to since the last 12 Hour. My only gripe is no Friday entry.
Old 10 May 2021, 22:10 (Ref:4050944)   #8
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
The meeting was great, with the 'optional' 2:30 exit time if you were happy to leave after the TCRs, I reckon it was the best meeting Ive been to since the last 12 Hour. My only gripe is no Friday entry.
Unfortunately all the planning and staffing necessary under COVID means now you can't just let people in and do their own thing, so I think this is going to be a thing for a while.
Old 11 May 2021, 04:21 (Ref:4050969)   #9
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Seeing that big Camaro sideways in every corner in group N was worth the price of entry alone. That driver was having the time of his life... on TV too!
Bet hes still grinning