Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 18 May 2004, 14:13 (Ref:974419)   #1
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which Brake Fluid

What sort of brake fluid should I be using? I race a BMW 325 in the Kumho Championship which uses Mintex 1155's and standard discs which I'm condidering upgrading as well
Old 18 May 2004, 14:19 (Ref:974422)   #2
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brand names are not important. Just use a good brand of DOT 5 Grade fluid (most of them are) and change it often.
When you bleed your brakes the fluid that come out should be the the same colour as what went in. If the fluid comes out darker it is being overheated and should have been changed long ago.
Old 18 May 2004, 14:19 (Ref:974423)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Hmmmmmmm, good one that. Castrol SRF is about the best but at £40 per litre very expensive. I have been using it for a while and it is good although I have gone back to Halfords dot 5.1 which i find is excellent as well.
Old 18 May 2004, 14:49 (Ref:974450)   #4
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
Ok, will find some dot 5 stuff
Old 18 May 2004, 14:55 (Ref:974456)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Be carefull, SRF and dot 5 are synthetic, dot 5.1 is not. Just depends on what you can and can't put in your car
Old 18 May 2004, 15:39 (Ref:974492)   #6
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dot 5.1 can be mixed with the like of Dot 4 too. Dot 5 can't I believe.
Old 18 May 2004, 16:49 (Ref:974561)   #7
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
Ok, so what's the difference between dot 5 and dot 5.1, is hte 5.1 higher grade?
Old 18 May 2004, 17:44 (Ref:974615)   #8
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Not sure on the temp rating although I believe the dry boiling temp of 5.1 is superior to dot 5. On reading up on fluids I have found that with synthetic it doesn't absorb water so the wet boiling temp stays high for longer, the down side is that if any moisture gets in the system it stays as bubbles of water then boils and turns to gas thus giving a spongy pedal. Also synthetic is supposedly compressable which isbnt good for racing. The non-synthetic absorbs water so you don’t get this problem but you would need to change it more often for racing as the wet boiling temp will drop quicker. In a road car this isn’t really a problem.
Synthetic is not recommended for racing.
I will stand to be corrected if anyone knows better.
Old 18 May 2004, 18:24 (Ref:974655)   #9
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
Ok, so I need dot 5.1 Non synthetic oil, right?
Old 18 May 2004, 20:05 (Ref:974742)   #10
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right!

Quote:
Originally posted by topwelshman
Right. The water is absorbed from the atmosphere and can not be removed by any convenient means. Also, don't forget to dispose of the old stuff in an enviornmentally friendly way. :confused: There should be some collection means at any racing facility or shop that services race cars.
Old 18 May 2004, 20:25 (Ref:974761)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Re: Right!

Quote:
Originally posted by thebear
Right. The water is absorbed from the atmosphere and can not be removed by any convenient means. Also, don't forget to dispose of the old stuff in an enviornmentally friendly way. :confused: There should be some collection means at any racing facility or shop that services race cars.
Or down the drain
Old 18 May 2004, 20:30 (Ref:974764)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by topwelshman
I think that has to be your choice based on what facts you want to believe. I know lots of people that will only use Castrol SRF (Synthetic Racing Fluid). Whatever you use make sure you flush all the old stuff out first.
How much does your car weigh?
Old 18 May 2004, 21:03 (Ref:974794)   #13
autosportfan
Rookie

autosportfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DO NOT USE DOT 5. This is a Silicon based brake fluid, which generally gives a spongy pedal feel. The main reason is that silicon has a low surface energy, meaning air bubbles are more stable than in standard ester type fluid. The only people using DOT 5 as standard are the military (because the fluid does not take in moisture meaning vehicles can be stored for a long time without degradation of the fluid) and Harley Davidson. DOT 5 is old technology and was produced because the silicon base fluid had a higher boiling point than the old type DOT 4. Recently, Super DOT 4, also called DOT 5.1 have been developed, which is basically easter based, but with a boiling simliar to DOT 5. Castrol SRF is a special type of Super DOT 4, a silicon ester (v. expensive to manufacture), which is compatible with DOT 3, 4 etc, but not the disadvantage of spongy feel.
It should be noted that boling point is not the only property that dictates the DOT grading, others such as low temp viscosity is also considered. There are some brake fluids have a DOT 3 grading, but have a boiling point similar to DOT 5.
Old 18 May 2004, 21:59 (Ref:974876)   #14
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
The car weighs about 1150 kg and after chatting to my mechanic I think we're going witht the Castrol SRF, not going to mess about for a few £.

cheers everyone
Old 19 May 2004, 21:21 (Ref:975888)   #15
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
forget the rest of the bull, the thing you should really be compairing with brake fluid is the boiling point.
for what its worth my car boiled justabout all manor of different normal dot type road fluids, i now only use AP600 racing fliud and never have a problem any more, for safety sake when you change fluids flush out the old stuff and DONT mix different fluids, also remember that race fluid is more hydroscopic than road fluid and needs regulary changing.

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 19 May 2004, 22:47 (Ref:975951)   #16
noodles
Rookie

noodles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
graham,

I think you mean hygroscopic.

Nontheless, you are correct. My view has always been that if you are racing, use a racing spec product.

Therefore, go with a product such as AP Racing.
Old 20 May 2004, 09:45 (Ref:976318)   #17
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
Ok cheers again all
Old 20 May 2004, 11:14 (Ref:976415)   #18
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by graham bahr
forget the rest of the bull, the thing you should really be compairing with brake fluid is the boiling point.
for what its worth my car boiled justabout all manor of different normal dot type road fluids, i now only use AP600 racing fliud and never have a problem any more, for safety sake when you change fluids flush out the old stuff and DONT mix different fluids, also remember that race fluid is more hydroscopic than road fluid and needs regulary changing.
Graham, you don't need brakes, your engine doesn't go
Old 20 May 2004, 15:08 (Ref:976681)   #19
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont you know its cruel to mock the afflicted?

dont worry my engine will be back and better than ever, maybe 3 seasons on the same set of bigends was a bit much though.

Old 20 May 2004, 15:11 (Ref:976683)   #20
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
i suppose if all else fails on the brakes front, you could always use someone elses? if you see what i mean