Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 May 2005, 16:39 (Ref:1313758)   #1
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone else wish that they'd leave the dang engine rules alone for '06?

Jeepers. What a season we're having in '05. And after all these years of waiting for a truly competitive grid, the engine formula will be switched and we're back to a crap-shoot with regards to which drivers are lucky enough to land a decent ride.
Oh well, I guess I'll just enjoy '05 and prepare for the next drought.
Mike
Old 29 May 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1313774)   #2
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it will be interesting to see how the teams react and cope with a new set of challenges and problems.
Old 29 May 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1313776)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like major changes in the rules. Let us see how they can all cope. I must admit generally I prefer 3l V10s to 2.4l V8s generally.
Old 29 May 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1313777)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm looking forward to seeing how it adjusts the order, and how different the aerodynamics and overtaking potential will be as a result. A reduction in engine power has been eneded for a long time,a dn V8 engiens can sound fantastic.
Old 29 May 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1313781)   #5
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I don't mind the change but I wish it's come later than sooner.
Right now we've got such a terrific mix of great engines, no lemons really and I like that very much.
Mike
Old 29 May 2005, 17:33 (Ref:1313818)   #6
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As long as they keep the new regs for several seasons and don't fiddle if one team are a bit dominant in the first season. Stability should enable all the engine manufacturers to obtain some parity.
Old 29 May 2005, 17:41 (Ref:1313831)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The V8 2.4s are intended to be the engines for a good number of years.

We've had 3l V10s for 11 years now.
Old 29 May 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1313880)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With any luck this type of engines wiull prove enduring and be ran for a long time - the 3.5litre V8s which rpeceded the change in 1995 were in use for 30 years, and the turbos which ran alongside them for a decade.
Old 29 May 2005, 21:12 (Ref:1314041)   #9
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was the main reason to cut speeds or costs?
Old 29 May 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1314086)   #10
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp356a
Jeepers. What a season we're having in '05. And after all these years of waiting for a truly competitive grid, the engine formula will be switched and we're back to a crap-shoot with regards to which drivers are lucky enough to land a decent ride.
Oh well, I guess I'll just enjoy '05 and prepare for the next drought.
Mike
Do you mean leave them alone as in "have engines last 4 races in 2006", like they promised in 2003?

Or do you mean leave them alone as in "change to V8 engines", like they promised in 2004?

Or do you mean leave them alone as in "suddenly decide to use the 2005 rules for engines in 2006", thereby punishing all teams who already started working on the new engines according to the 2006-rules that were published in 2004?
Old 29 May 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1314112)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I like the current engine rules, and hope they keep them as they are (not that they will).

My biggest objection to the V8 rule is that the FIA say it's to cut costs, b*****ks, it's going to cost more to develope, plus, i don't like the idea of slowing the cars down, but give it a season or 2, and the engineers will be back to current speeds.
Old 29 May 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1314117)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
I like the current engine rules, and hope they keep them as they are (not that they will).

My biggest objection to the V8 rule is that the FIA say it's to cut costs, b*****ks, it's going to cost more to develope, plus, i don't like the idea of slowing the cars down, but give it a season or 2, and the engineers will be back to current speeds.

Isn't that the truth, what a load codswallop this cutting costs scenario is.
Old 29 May 2005, 22:36 (Ref:1314146)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The changes do seem rather meaningless. As has been said, the engineers will have these V-8 engines back up to current speeds quickly enough. They made these changes in the IRL last year, and the car's are already back to their old speeds.

It maybe nice to hear a different engine note though...

Danica Patrick
Old 29 May 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1314158)   #14
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I wish Bernie, Tony George and the FIA would sit down and hammer out an engine rule that could be almost universal (I know it's been tried before). If they want to cut costs simply find a way for more people to buy the engines.

We'll soon have 4-5 GP life engines which in theory should be cheap compared to what teams have now. In an ideal world we'd have Ferrari, BMW and Mercedes blocks in the back of an IRL spec chassis aswell as in the back of their own custom F1 chassis.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have no problem with the FIA changing the engine regulations providing they have a legitmate reason for doing so, something I don't believe they've achieved yet. Cutting costs has been proven to be false with people like BMW trying to develop three engines simultaneously at one point and it will never slow the cars down when the aerodynamics still allow them to take corners at incredible speed and brake super late.
Old 30 May 2005, 11:02 (Ref:1314529)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not looking forward to the V8's for a number of reasons.

The main thing for me, as obscure as this point is, is the sound. Anyone who has attended an F3000 race will know that the sound drives you to contemplating suicide.

Having said that, the old Ford V8's sound alright. But it will be a shame to lose those shrieking V10's much as it has been a great loss to lose V12's.

The cost of a V8 will be enormous. Revs are what everyone tries to find and revs are costly. Even more costly when the engines are of a smaller capacity and a lower cylinder count.
Old 30 May 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1314601)   #16
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think they need to keep mixing the rules because with technology so advanced the teams basically can master a set of rules in a year or two....
changing engine regs is a big change and like this year with the tyres it will be fascinating to see how the teams adjust...
Old 30 May 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1314604)   #17
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just let the teams use the one engine block for the season !

Any team that is forced to change the engine block is docked 10 championship points.
Old 30 May 2005, 18:30 (Ref:1314914)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
Personally I wish Bernie, Tony George and the FIA would sit down and hammer out an engine rule that could be almost universal (I know it's been tried before). If they want to cut costs simply find a way for more people to buy the engines.

We'll soon have 4-5 GP life engines which in theory should be cheap compared to what teams have now. In an ideal world we'd have Ferrari, BMW and Mercedes blocks in the back of an IRL spec chassis aswell as in the back of their own custom F1 chassis.
I'd have to agree with that.

It's the escalating cost of all open wheel racing that is stunting its growth, and engines are the biggest and most expensive component in that. New teams joining the open wheel ranks are hard to find, whether your talking F1, IRL, or CC. This would be a good way to bring down the costs across the board, and give us the variety that is now lacking, at least in American open wheel.

God, a Ferrari in the Indy 500, wouldn't that be something!

Danica Patrick
Old 30 May 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1315016)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
With any luck this type of engines wiull prove enduring and be ran for a long time - the 3.5litre V8s which rpeceded the change in 1995 were in use for 30 years, and the turbos which ran alongside them for a decade.
I've come a bit late to this thread and I'm only joining now to clarify, with Boots approval I hope, that for most of that 30 years those V8s were 3 litre cars, and, of course, that during that 3 litre formula, there were engines of other configurations as well.

Personally, although the current 3 litre formula is great, a change is probably due. The 2.4 litre V8s will hopefully sound superb and woth the pace of technology development, they'll probably not be slowerb than the current cars for long. Mind you, I've never been happy with the fact that F1 engines have to all have the same cylinder configuration.
Old 30 May 2005, 22:30 (Ref:1315184)   #20
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
That would work, the engines have completely different requirements in all the different race categories.
Old 31 May 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1316144)   #21
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its just mind blowing to me that no matter what they do to slow down these cars they just get faster and faster!

Take away slicks, limit downforce, smaller engine, add chicanes, it just doesn't seem to matter, lap times keep coming down.

And I predict, it will only be a couple years before we see the same or better lap times from the 2.4 liter V-8's.

They are already speculating about 22,000 rpm!

If you do the math (I know this isn't exact but its close):

(22,000 rpm * 2.4 liters) / (19,000 rpm * 3.0 liters) = .926

This means the new engines should be capable of about 92.6% of the old engine hp.

So we're dropping from 900 hp to about 833 hp.

Plus the engines will weigh less so it will mean either the car will get lighter or more robust parts will be used elsewhere to take up the extra weight.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out IMHO.
Old 1 Jun 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1316729)   #22
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Cosworth are already claiming 900bhp
Old 1 Jun 2005, 14:11 (Ref:1316925)   #23
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
While we are talking about rule changes I think we need to remember that the really big changes are yet to come.

The engine is only the first step, in the next few years (IIRC 2008) we will see dramatic changes to the chassis with a massive drop in downforce and a likely returen to slicks and/or wider tyres.

The recent chassis changes have just been slight, even meanigless tweaks.