Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Dec 2008, 18:21 (Ref:2349073)   #126
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Venables
In bigger events, with regularity and competition classes, you will usually find that you have separate circuit sessions from the comp boys (or girls)
I think that was the problem with the regularities that I had done at Nordscheife, there was no separation there. I did enjoy it but having every Graf von Such and Such storming up from behind in race-prepped 300SLs and 356s was daunting. Those are the guys who I was saying tended to hold a racing line and some were pretty aggressive considering that there were a lot of people like myself just trying to make a consistent lap and have fun. Off topic, but apropos 300SLs, how is it that there are so many floating around these days? There were no less than 8 in the event i just mentioned alone, not counting those in the competition races. Someone's cranking out "recreations" now?
Old 6 Dec 2008, 18:39 (Ref:2349089)   #127
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I fogot but in time past when i was heavily envolved with 750 motor club we introduced a "adopt a buddy" system. It was asked on your yearly application form if you were prepared to help a novice at his or hers race meeting. So if a novice who lived near bye an experenced driver they could contact them and ask all the questions then meet up at the race track.
We have our Historic FF 2000 AGM tomorrow think i will put that idea to the drivers.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 18:43 (Ref:2349092)   #128
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Iain I think that is a great idea - aprt from pro's like Terry we are all amateurs doing it for the craic. I was lucky and knew a lot of people already (one of the reasons why I started) but if I hadn't the paddock would have been a lonely place at the start.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 18:57 (Ref:2349103)   #129
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I know Terry's a pro but did you see those horrible white mechanics overalls he had on at Spa. Spotless.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 19:05 (Ref:2349112)   #130
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
I know Terry's a pro but did you see those horrible white mechanics overalls he had on at Spa. Spotless.

.Wonder if they are still in the bin after I'd finished with them.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 23:17 (Ref:2349246)   #131
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
we have had the discussion about usernames and whilst many would agree with you, can we leave it now since I don't want people to drop out or not join simply because for whatever reasons they don't want to be identified.
Don't want to open this up again, but since it came up in a thread that I started I feel obligated to say for the record that I use "smokystove" because I work in the entertainment business and unfortunately what comes with the territory is my name turns up tons of search results online. I prefer to keep my personal interests(like old cars) just that: personal. But anyone uncomfortable using handles is free to call me by one of my given names which isn't known professionally, Sylvester. So, back to the thread...
Old 6 Dec 2008, 23:23 (Ref:2349247)   #132
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Assume we are taking about the major tours and closed stages.A Top Twenty regularity place is as fraught as any race and on circuits you set your own time between a max and min.No bogie times,The stages have slow ,medium and fast times.The fast would put you in the top 25 of competition and the slow is quicker than the normal regularity type times set on full regularities such as Le Jog,Liege Rome which are on open roads.
The answers and opinions on regularities above are once again the blind leading the blind.If people know nothing why bother giving ill advised comments as fact and furthermore do not bother trying to belittle regularities.Some proper racing drivers do it and enjoy it.I know Phil Venebles and I did Tout Espania ten years ago and we were crap but had a superb time being hooligans.Its not on these days and we would now expect to drop a max of 4 sec in a week on four circuits and 16 laps.The problem in UK is that only closed stage regularity is Tour Britannia and open road stages are being introduced.MSA regs prevent same circuit rules as European events.
Which closed road regulatity did you do Terrance?
Old 6 Dec 2008, 23:38 (Ref:2349260)   #133
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Sylvester ,Just read your bit on handles and have to agree with your reasoning.
If you Google John Ruston you get a very odd bit about me but more to the point there was a John Ruston that writes books on the sex lives in medival times.I was never cut out for that.Another failure.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 23:39 (Ref:2349261)   #134
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
John, the comments I made above were only pertaining to that particular event as I experienced it. I wouldn't even suggest that I'm at all qualified to make a judgement about them as a whole. In any case, I did find it enjoyable and look forward to checking out the events you'd already suggested to me in another thread. That's why I'm on this forum, to learn about what kind of events are out there.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 23:41 (Ref:2349263)   #135
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
there was a John Ruston that writes books on the sex lives in medival times
Classic.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 23:41 (Ref:2349264)   #136
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
aprt from pro's like Terry .
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Dec 2008, 10:32 (Ref:2349456)   #137
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
glad someone understands ironic humour ;o)
Old 7 Dec 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2349518)   #138
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
.....John Ruston that writes books on the sex lives in medival times.
I thought that was your autobiography!
Old 7 Dec 2008, 12:54 (Ref:2349531)   #139
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

If only,you lot get the good looking women!
Old 7 Dec 2008, 14:30 (Ref:2349585)   #140
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
glad someone understands ironic humour ;o)

Ironic,or schoolboy?,glad I dont have a white rabbit Simon.
Old 7 Dec 2008, 14:51 (Ref:2349592)   #141
simon drabble
Veteran

I wish you did - then I could ask you to conjure up a decent bonus for me this year!!!!