Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 19 Jan 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2817862)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nascar new point system

Ok here we go again, a new point system. 43 point to win-possibly 3 bonus for a win and 1 point for each after. The top 10 get in the chase and add two more drivers based on wins...
Really? Should not be this contrived or so inclusive to the lower half of the field. But way to go with the dumb ideas.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 19:27 (Ref:2821444)   #2
'70 Mach 1
Rookie

United States
Sacramento, CA. USA
'70 Mach 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kind of clumsy--

43 points for finishing first.
3 bonus points for a win
1 bonus point for leading a lap (and 1 more for leading most laps).

Wouldn't it have been easier to day "At least 47 or as many as 48points for winning"

Or not...

Also agree - at least 30th and worse should get no points (or an equal number of points) to help discourage the rolling wrecks that come back out on the track.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 23:11 (Ref:2821520)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be honest it doesn't sound like any real positive improvement. If they want tighter racing at the front, why not go for ye olde 10-6-4-3-2-1?
Old 28 Jan 2011, 00:53 (Ref:2821551)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont understand why everyone has to get points
Old 28 Jan 2011, 02:08 (Ref:2821563)   #5
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
No, a silly gimmick and change for changes sake. When they start changing for changes sake that's a sign that they are panicking.

I don't mind everyone getting a point. Keeps the cars on the road.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 05:04 (Ref:2821600)   #6
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are times that when a car goes to the garage it should stay in the garage. This is has been the only real reason for NASCAR to change the scoring system. Alas, they have indeed changed nothing...just made it easier for a smaller number of NASCAR officials to add the points.

My thoughts previously posted in another thread:

"When compared to most other points systems, NASCAR's past points system was about the most ridiculous points system ever with seemingly rewarding drivers for merely correctly entering their fire-suit. While I have found it absurd, it has been subsequently followed in some manner by just about every other late model division across the US. And now, in typical NASCAR fashion, when something is in need of minor adjustments 2 decades ago, they make a drastic change that makes very little sense. IMHO, the points system needs to be adjusted so that winning races is heavily rewarded and the bottom 15-20 finishing spots rewards no driver points whatsoever (owner's points in another matter altogether)....."
Old 28 Jan 2011, 16:34 (Ref:2821883)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

Cheese

Who said that? I totally agree why give points to any one outside of the 12 top places? If the chase wittles it down to them should not the top ne the places to fight for?
It does seems like a panicky move, I will still watch and rarely care until the "chase" do NASCAR officials not know any thing about racing and points and what works on a global scale? Rewarding mediocrity is such horsepucky. Its frankly embarrassing.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2821921)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think that this is that much of a change.
When we get to the chase is it still 5,000 points as the starting point?

Oh well, whatever, JJ will still win.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2821937)   #9
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would like to see points down to 15th with maybe one point extra for leading the most laps, but not a point to every driver that leads one. Fifteen drivers gives points to more than just the 12 chase spots to possibly make up some ground. Something in the area of 25, 20, 17, 15, 13, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 could push drivers to the front and put an end to one of the things I HATE, the start and park drivers. No points equals no money for that race, only a share at the end of the season based on average finish.
A problem would come in with drivers whining even more about Driver X not being in the running to get into the chase and so he needs to get out the way and let me through. I've always thought get through and pass the guy if you really are that much better but it doesn't seem like a lot of drivers feel that way now. And I'm sure Fox would love to play up the 'drama' of who blocked and kept another driver out of the chase last year and will they get payback at Daytona?
Old 28 Jan 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2821989)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

Tough as that sounds it is a better 'sporting' system than the farce That it is or has become
Old 28 Jan 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2822009)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The new points scale is terrible. It barely rewards wins. In my opinion, the top three drivers should get 100-70-55 or a multiple of that (e.g. 20-14-11).

Giving points to 30rd and lower is meant to promote starting and parking, that it, to reward drivers who enter lots of races and punish those who cherry pick.

To have an interesting race along the 43-car field, you must reward drivers for overtaking no matter their place. Of course, overtaking for the higher places should be rewarded more, and this system fails at that. However, I agree that from 20th backwards drivers should barely get points, not only for Milka Dunos who lose laps the whole time, but also to prevent top drivers get punished from retiting early in the race instead of later.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 21:46 (Ref:2822039)   #12
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Automobile Antics

This is a little off topic but I thought this was the best place to post it without screening multiple threads.

NA$CAR will be carried live on TV in the UK .
Old 31 Jan 2011, 19:21 (Ref:2823418)   #13
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
This is a little off topic but I thought this was the best place to post it without screening multiple threads.

NA$CAR will be carried live on TV in the UK .
It has been carried live for a good few years, last year it was on a channel called Open Access 3 (it seemed to basically just show the US host broadcaster's coverage, some looping ad for an air force DVD thing, maybe a static shot of the track and then return to the US coverage) and Sky Sports (the nearest thing there is to a UK equivalent of ESPN, apart from it is a sports tier, charging 32 USD per month, IIUC in the US ESPN is on virtually every cable package, right?) before that. This Premier Sports channel is set up by a guy that was involved in Setanta, an Irish channel that tried and failed to enter in to the UK, and doesn't show anything that's really big name - NASCAR, the NRL, Gaelic Games, bit of boxing, the Copa Libertadores and the fifth tier of English football (eleven men, round ball).

The reason for that "static shot of the track" (it seems like they just left a CCTV camera at the exit of turn one or something) is that in the US IIUC there are no limits on how much advertising channels can carry, in the UK there is a fixed number of minutes per hour. The BBC don't carry any adverts at all, because of the way they are funded, but what the will be doing for the Super Bowl this year is going back to the studio (I think they're doing it from London this year, rather than flying people out) when the US goes to a commercial break. A broadcaster that does carry ads would generally do the same if they had some kind of budget, unless they wanted to go for the ad break then. If it's low budget, they somehow get some form of non-descript helicopter shot and eerie silence.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 31 Jan 2011 at 19:26.
Old 1 Feb 2011, 07:12 (Ref:2823645)   #14
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Percentage wise, this new system actually rewards winning more than the old one did.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 05:06 (Ref:2828879)   #15
gttouring
Veteran

I still can't see any justfication for giving points for just showing up
Old 10 Feb 2011, 05:39 (Ref:2828882)   #16
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
I still can't see any justfication for giving points for just showing up
You don't get points for just showing up. You get points if you make the race, a few cars each week don't qualify.