Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 7 Sep 2011, 17:43 (Ref:2952305)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quantaray Lenses?

I'm trying to get hold of a cheap replacement lens for my 100-300 zoom (Canon EF). I can't afford to buy new. I'd like to buy Canon as I've read of malfunctions and errors with Sigma.

But I've seen a Quantaray zoom. Never heard of it before. I'm not necessarily thinking of buying it, but I just wondered if they were any good or definitely to be avoided!!

Cheers.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2952310)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having just read a few comments on photo forums from Google, I probably don't need to ask the question or go near Quantaray lenses.......
Old 7 Sep 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2952342)   #3
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly I suspect you are right.

"Sadly" because it would be great to have a decent lens that did not cost a couple of arms and several legs.

On the upside - if you can find the funds a quality lens is not a bad hedge at the moment. They tend to retain value. For how long is anyone's guess given the current state of play.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2952356)   #4
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is your budget?

£ 120 will get you a secondhand Canon 55-250 IS. I got one for my wifes camera (read as a backup lens for me) and its not bad. It can't keep up with a 7D on full burst mode, but thats only used for crashes.

Or it will get you a new Sigma 70-300 DG. Personally I'd go for the secondhand option.

A bit more £ 160 would get you a new Canon 55-250IS or a Sigma 70-300 APO. Both are OK, but I'd probably sacirifice a bit of length for the IS, whilst you may not use it for motorsport, its very useful for other types of photography.

You shouldn't have any compatibility issues with recent Sigma lenses.

If you can spend a bit more, the Canon 70-300 IS or the Canon 70-200 f4 L are the picks of the next tier up. The L lens is very sharp but 200mm is a little short for circuit photography at most circuits.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 12:55 (Ref:2952693)   #5
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Canon's little 75-300 is a safe bet, for around £100 used. The Boss has one for her 10D, and it has been a fine little workhorse, I've even used it trackside!

Usual issues over it being slow (f4-5.6), but otherwise, not bad. Which isn't something I normally say about Canon gear...
Old 11 Sep 2011, 01:19 (Ref:2953668)   #6
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm trying to get hold of a cheap replacement lens for my 100-300 zoom (Canon EF). I can't afford to buy new. I'd like to buy Canon as I've read of malfunctions and errors with Sigma.

But I've seen a Quantaray zoom. Never heard of it before. I'm not necessarily thinking of buying it, but I just wondered if they were any good or definitely to be avoided!!

Cheers.
I would say that `problems' are a question of lens vintage.

Assuming you are shooting with a digital camera, see if the owner will allow you to take it out to the street where you can exercise it. Bring it back and check the pix out on your pooter. Won't cost anything and you might be suprised.

Quantaray is a trade name for lenses made by Sigma, identical to their contemporary product line and originally sold through the "Ritz Camera" chain in the US. They were also sold by some independent camera stores.

You would have to compare it visually to the appropriate Sigma in order to verify it's origin. Camera mount is irrelevant for the visual comparison.

This website my be of some use as they have been evaluating lenses for many years. Look for the equivalent Sigma lens.

Old 12 Sep 2011, 12:52 (Ref:2954434)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thanks guys.