Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Nov 2016, 17:49 (Ref:3692447)   #1551
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
0:40 secs is fartbox turbo vs V8 Turbo comparison at idle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_rs...ature=youtu.be

I know which one I like the sound of better, but the Ford GT is pretty insane...

I digress. DP(little i)
Old 30 Nov 2016, 18:36 (Ref:3692458)   #1552
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Mazda went for style. GM went for function.

What do you think about the 919 by the way?

I thought this was a really good read by the way (which is where the last 2 pictures are from): http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...e-same-series/
Not a fan of the Porsche either. Prefer the Toyota.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 19:48 (Ref:3692474)   #1553
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I find it interesting that GM, the company that seemed to be the most gung-ho about DPi, made fewer changes than Mazda did. (or at least it seems so given how little we've seen of the base Riley)

Still, what few changes they DID make are quite an improvement aesthetically, with nothing about the car making one wonder how effective the result would be.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 20:40 (Ref:3692491)   #1554
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
So all a DPi is a P2 with the bodywork redrawn by an OEM styling department intern and new headlights but it's impossible for non-manufacturer teams to run cars with non-spec engines because they can't buy the bodywork. Don't you love what they call "prototype" racing these days.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 20:45 (Ref:3692494)   #1555
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I like it, but I love the Mazda. The lights are a disappointment imo. Should have put the ATS-V R's on it. It'd give it a definite Cadillac look. Oh well

Not sure why the shots were taken at the wec. They race in front of much bigger crowds on average than wscs. Places like the Nurburgring and Fuji, even Shanghai has a good weekend total. That kinda talk isn't needed imo. I don't know why they're trying to big up their series and car that way.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 20:50 (Ref:3692495)   #1556
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Love the Caddy. Not as much as the Mazda but it's still awesome.

And lol crowd figures. Neither series is bringing in huge crowds. Kettle black glass windows stones and all that jazz. They've both for their highlights, but the only properly huge attendance is Le Mans.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 20:50 (Ref:3692496)   #1557
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
So all a DPi is a P2 with the bodywork redrawn by an OEM styling department intern and new headlights but it's impossible for non-manufacturer teams to run cars with non-spec engines because they can't buy the bodywork. Don't you love what they call "prototype" racing these days.
Non-maufacturer teams CAN buy the bodywork - but only if the manufacturer is willing to sell.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 20:53 (Ref:3692497)   #1558
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

And lol crowd figures. Neither series is bringing in huge crowds. Kettle black glass windows stones and all that jazz. They've both for their highlights, but the only properly huge attendance is Le Mans.
Le Mans can't be compared though, because of it's extreme history. Without the WEC and LMP1 cars they'd still get the massive crowds. ****, you could have it run to FunCup regulations and you'd probably still pull 200k.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 21:02 (Ref:3692501)   #1559
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Le Mans can't be compared though, because of it's extreme history. Without the WEC and LMP1 cars they'd still get the massive crowds. ****, you could have it run to FunCup regulations and you'd probably still pull 200k.
Completely true. But even if you ignore le mans it's not like the crowds for any event are massive. Petit and Sebring are really good but so the the Ring and Fuji. COTA is hilariously bad but claim to be getting 6 million people through the door.

Its not a competition and if it was then neither side is covering themselves in glory. Empty grandstands at Daytona, COTA, and Shanghai look bad no matter what number is claimed. But really, does it matter? Seems like a very odd, almost bitter comment (in the article, not you!). I suspect it was prompted by a question looking for a controversial answer.

Both series are looking awesome for 2017 (as is ELMS), so hopefully the focus moves to this soon enough.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 21:19 (Ref:3692506)   #1560
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I attend three IMSA events a year, and can say from those that the crowds are a lot more than what it looks on TV. Daytona and WGI are jammed up on the infield, and LRP is LRP, there's always a huge crowd there.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 21:43 (Ref:3692514)   #1561
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Grand-Am beat the WEC at COTA in attendance? And that's just terrible.

But yeah, that Dalldillac is quite beautiful. But did they steal some trade secrets from Audi though?
Old 30 Nov 2016, 22:35 (Ref:3692533)   #1562
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
But yeah, that Dalldillac is quite beautiful. But did they steal some trade secrets from Audi though?
Perhaps. Took pictures at least like everyone else!
Old 30 Nov 2016, 22:37 (Ref:3692535)   #1563
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But didn't they dallara help with the Audi P1s in the past?
Old 30 Nov 2016, 22:40 (Ref:3692536)   #1564
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
But didn't they dallara help with the Audi P1s in the past?
Yep.

Built 'em for a while too.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 23:43 (Ref:3692549)   #1565
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I attend three IMSA events a year, and can say from those that the crowds are a lot more than what it looks on TV. Daytona and WGI are jammed up on the infield, and LRP is LRP, there's always a huge crowd there.
Road American is the same way on TV. The crowd has already packed up and moved their cars accordingly, so it looks empty because of the size of the place. Granted Indycar was insane at RA in terms of attendance.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 00:22 (Ref:3692559)   #1566
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
You can say the same for most of the wec races. It doesn't help that they race at f1 tracks with seating capacity for something like 100k. I think Bahrain, and maybe cota to a smaller extent, is the only place you don't have a decent crowd on hand.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 00:43 (Ref:3692562)   #1567
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Non-maufacturer teams CAN buy the bodywork - but only if the manufacturer is willing to sell.
That's the problem obviously. I'm fine with factory race cars not being sold to customers normally, but you can hardly say something was extensively factory developed when it's just a copy of the public version. Many of the teams could do more on their own.

The real winners here are the chassis manufacturers that get to cash in by charging the OEMs for redundant work on top of whatever sales they were going to have instead of the factories having their own thing.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 01:44 (Ref:3692581)   #1568
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

Agreed, all sorts of awesome.

I can't speak to WEC because I've never seen it, but IMSA's attendance has surprised me. I saw a slight drop-off after the merger but at the events I've attended, it's packed. PLM was easily in the top 3 ever (I'm not really sure why? Ford?) and I guess Sebring is huge but not properly huge?
Old 1 Dec 2016, 04:08 (Ref:3692598)   #1569
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think the series release actual attendance figures so I guess it's all just speculation. And when they do release attendance they will look at how many people are there for race day and multiply that by the number of days the overall event is. 25,000 on race day? Well it's a 4 day event so we got 100,000.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 12:24 (Ref:3692675)   #1570
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
0:40 secs is fartbox turbo vs V8 Turbo comparison at idle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_rs...ature=youtu.be

I know which one I like the sound of better, but the Ford GT is pretty insane...

I digress. DP(little i)
Some attractive people there at petit....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 1 Dec 2016, 14:47 (Ref:3692706)   #1571
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
I don't think the series release actual attendance figures so I guess it's all just speculation. And when they do release attendance they will look at how many people are there for race day and multiply that by the number of days the overall event is. 25,000 on race day? Well it's a 4 day event so we got 100,000.
Has not the attendance at the Daytona 24 exploded in size since the merger? I would think it has. The Daytona 24 is a major race once more thanks to the merger. That has been one of the best things about the GA/ALMS merge.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 14:48 (Ref:3692707)   #1572
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Until I saw a comparison of the Dallara and Caddy.... it's pretty obvious that there is little change from the stock bodywork.... I mean... certainly there have been changes, but, it's not as drastic as I initially thought.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 1 Dec 2016, 15:40 (Ref:3692720)   #1573
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Mazda haven't started testing their 2017 spec-engine yet. Oh dear.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 16:10 (Ref:3692726)   #1574
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Until I saw a comparison of the Dallara and Caddy.... it's pretty obvious that there is little change from the stock bodywork.... I mean... certainly there have been changes, but, it's not as drastic as I initially thought.
Isn't it ironic that GM with their vast budget cheezed out on the DPi while poor little Mazda went for it. Their DP was more distinctive even if t was a joke to call it a Corvette.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 16:15 (Ref:3692729)   #1575
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Isn't it ironic that GM with their vast budget cheezed out on the DPi while poor little Mazda went for it. Their DP was more distinctive even if t was a joke to call it a Corvette.
Just as much a Corvette as this, and no one seemed to mind this one!