Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Dec 2016, 15:35 (Ref:3696962)   #2076
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
My favorate clutch job was the old viva . 20 mins clutch change . Happy days .
Old 18 Dec 2016, 16:13 (Ref:3696965)   #2077
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
My mate & I could do a set of big-end shells on an HB Viva in 45 minutes, from driving on to the drive, to driving off again!
Old 18 Dec 2016, 16:55 (Ref:3696969)   #2078
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Clutches, shells and loads of other wearing parts needed replacing quite often in those days!

We had a lovely old lady customer with an A35 who could get through a clutch in about 500 miles! Interesting to go to her house though, she had been a crack shot when younger and won loads of international competitions.
Old 18 Dec 2016, 17:36 (Ref:3696985)   #2079
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Careful lads! This is all getting a bit too much proper car talk, Bauble alert!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 18 Dec 2016, 18:03 (Ref:3696997)   #2080
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stupido, stupido, stupido.

Yes to be sure the clutch hydraulics were working fine, the pedal pushing down with the lightest of effort, the slave pushing out the pin and the arm moving in and out. Even Peter Baldwin could see this happening OK when we had it on the rolling road, but still it would not clear for gear changing.

Now I live in the sticks and do most things myself, many being quite difficult or awkward, and checking the movement of a slave cylinder and its clutch mechanism buried under a bundle of snakes, whilst sitting in the car pushing the clutch in and out is nigh on impossible. So I found a eight foot long piece of wood and fixed it to the clutch pedal and pushed it in and out while standing at the rear end of the engine bay to observe for myself what was happening.

Bingo !!!!!!!!!! the penny dropped, and I feel such a plonker. Sure the clutch arm was moving in and out perfectly, but not enough. Stupidly I had not adjusted out the master cylinder adjusting pin to pedal enough and it was,nt depressing far enough. Doh !! Duly done. and all works fine now.

Egg on my face, and any kind heckling please on a postcard.

The slave cylinder on my set up is buried just under where those pipes cross over so there is very little space and clear sighting.
Attached Thumbnails
504.JPG  
Old 18 Dec 2016, 18:04 (Ref:3696998)   #2081
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I think that the HA was probably the easiest/quickest clutch on a RWD car as for FWD, Datsun 100A/ Triumph 1300/first generation Vauxhall Astra/Cavalier, any more you old grease monkeys can think off ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Dec 2016, 19:27 (Ref:3697005)   #2082
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had a Viva once upon a time, cost me £300.

Also; Ex Military Humber Staff car with balloon tyres,
VX20/40 (AFAICR) Used more oil than petrol.
Morris Minor.
Hillman Minx
Several Cavaliers & Astras.
Alfa Romeo (Company car)

Now don't get me started on bikes

Bauble alert indeed. Too little respect for age on this forum.
Old 18 Dec 2016, 21:27 (Ref:3697021)   #2083
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
£300! thats more than a new vauxhall! 😂

at Zef Towers its brginning to look a lot like (our) Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8487.JPG  
Old 22 Dec 2016, 07:32 (Ref:3697796)   #2084
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
356 in front of Astons and TRs- correct in every detail then!

(Glad to see you have a problem with pic orientation as well... )
Old 22 Dec 2016, 08:55 (Ref:3697811)   #2085
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Apple needs re-orientating, it never happened before.

Try's to form, I've spun the 356 a few times, whilst 'acclimatising'
Old 22 Dec 2016, 09:03 (Ref:3697814)   #2086
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
True to form, I've spun the 356 a few times, whilst 'acclimatising'
Remember what Will said- NEVER lift off in corner!
Old 22 Dec 2016, 09:06 (Ref:3697815)   #2087
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Remember what Will said- NEVER lift off in corner!
That was only with the engine lid shut tough....
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 22 Dec 2016, 10:46 (Ref:3697840)   #2088
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I deployed it for extra down force.
I didin't spin after having raised it.
Old 22 Dec 2016, 11:01 (Ref:3697848)   #2089
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I deployed it for extra down force.
I didin't spin after having raised it.
Cunning...clearly a development opportunity we need to investigate further, although our deployment method may be a little more "subtle"...

Last edited by 356sc; 22 Dec 2016 at 11:06.
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 22 Dec 2016, 11:10 (Ref:3697852)   #2090
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
For those wondering what the heck is being talked about, here's a pic from Le Mans Classic. Perhaps a different catch for the engine cover is on the winter projects list .....
Attached Thumbnails
2016-07-10 09.59.36.jpg  
Old 22 Dec 2016, 11:59 (Ref:3697863)   #2091
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
For those wondering what the heck is being talked about, here's a pic from Le Mans Classic. Perhaps a different catch for the engine cover is on the winter projects list .....
I assume all of this banter is just a form of coverup in case the "authorities" try to investigate the deployment of a "driver controlled moveable aerodynamic device" that is not period correct?

Old 22 Dec 2016, 13:04 (Ref:3697876)   #2092
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Not period correct"? How quaint of you to worry about that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 22 Dec 2016, 15:40 (Ref:3697916)   #2093
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
"Not period correct"? How quaint of you to worry about that.
It's the time of year for mildly quaint ... isn't it?

I doubt many things were period correct even in period but, like the images surrounding Christmas, it's a matter of the way things have been handed down through the years.
Old 22 Dec 2016, 15:53 (Ref:3697921)   #2094
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Actually, the engine cover opening mechanism was 'period correct', and it only deployed the cover if you were going backwards....
Old 23 Dec 2016, 17:00 (Ref:3698150)   #2095
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I did it on purpose to make a bit more of a race of it, we were so far in front of the next Porsche
Old 25 Dec 2016, 18:53 (Ref:3698425)   #2096
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I did it on purpose to make a bit more of a race of it, we were so far in front of the next Porsche
I recon you copied it from the Fiat 500 !Click image for larger version

Name:	classic_fiat_abarth_race_car.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	48825
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Dec 2016, 09:05 (Ref:3698492)   #2097
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wasn't that an Abarth mod, Gordon.

I think JR's Porsche is for sale is it not? If so that aero development project needs to be hasty unless you guys intend to purchase the car.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 26 Dec 2016, 09:34 (Ref:3698499)   #2098
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Wasn't that an Abarth mod, Gordon.

I think JR's Porsche is for sale is it not? If so that aero development project needs to be hasty unless you guys intend to purchase the car.
Yes, Abarth mod for cooling I think on the Fiats- 500s and bigger models. Correct on the 356 except for the last comment! If I sold the truck and couple of cars maybe......
Old 26 Dec 2016, 09:54 (Ref:3698501)   #2099
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driving to and from Italy in the late sixties they had built underpasses that the Fiat 500 families would all congregate in the summer to allow there 500 to cool off,great meeting point for them.
Old 26 Dec 2016, 21:37 (Ref:3698573)   #2100
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

http://motor.rocabal.com/british-sal...ds-hatch-1966/

Last edited by grantp; 26 Dec 2016 at 21:55.