Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 May 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3732534)   #226
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that Plato is the mouth on the mike when he is the hero, but disappears when the going gets tough!
And we all know why!
Old 9 May 2017, 20:12 (Ref:3732535)   #227
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something definitely fishy going on. The lack of testing, Plato's uncharacteristic absence from any media coverage, whether or not we'll ever hear the whole truth remains to be seen, but the way things are shaping up I feel we won't be seeing six cars from Warren's stable next year and even then 2-4 could be questionable if the numbers are to be believed.

You can't help thinking that this whole mess is Plato's doing and stems back a few seasons. I get the impression 888's issues started towards the end of Plato's third season in the MG and when he took his bat and ball and Faux home that spelt the end for them. What he didn't bank on when he started moving things into place at BMR was that the mess he'd left behind would suddenly be working out of the same workshop and siphoning off vital resources!
Old 9 May 2017, 21:05 (Ref:3732543)   #228
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
The discrepancies between Sutton and the rest are baffling.
Looking at the qualifying times, Sutton was actually slower than Plato in 2 of the 3 speed traps, yet quicker around every sector. Don't know if that's down to set-up or driving style but obviously able to carry more speed through the corners.
Old 10 May 2017, 04:07 (Ref:3732568)   #229
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Looking at the qualifying times, Sutton was actually slower than Plato in 2 of the 3 speed traps, yet quicker around every sector. Don't know if that's down to set-up or driving style but obviously able to carry more speed through the corners.
They did mention in coverage that Sutton had been experimenting with a different ratio for 6th gear, so perhaps that was part of the speed trap figures?
Old 10 May 2017, 04:11 (Ref:3732569)   #230
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
You can't help thinking that this whole mess is Plato's doing and stems back a few seasons. I get the impression 888's issues started towards the end of Plato's third season in the MG and when he took his bat and ball and Faux home that spelt the end for them.
Was his departure from 888 a cause, or consequence, of the issues though?
Or just a coincidence?
Old 10 May 2017, 08:25 (Ref:3732619)   #231
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Was his departure from 888 a cause, or consequence, of the issues though?
Or just a coincidence?
I'm inclined to say cause, as I imagine he brought the majority of the budget to the table with Tesco and his other sponsors, sure Tordoff brought JCT600 but they only had small stickers on the cars so wont have been putting as much onto the pot. Without Plato's backing 888 didn't have much of a backup plan (a repeat of when Vauxhall pulled out).

Look how much sponsorship Jordan and Goff had to plaster over the cars to get in to what turned out to be a mediocre pair of seats.

True, there could have been some consequence too, things obvioulsy weren't rosey towards the end of his time there (though I think it was more a case of the grass is always greener on the RWD side that made him want to part ways).

It also makes you wonder where he'd be if he'd pushed to get a different manufacturer on the grid and stuck with FWD? I know VW would be unlikely due to Diesel-gate but he went well in the Passat and had he put as much effort into bringing a better FWD contender into the pack rather than trying to bend the rules with the Franken-baru how the scene could be different?

I'm not a Plato fan by any means but not having him at the sharp end does feel odd and loses some of the pantomime of the BTCC.
Old 10 May 2017, 08:47 (Ref:3732621)   #232
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hardly bending the rules. The Subaru was the perfect car for the way the rules were written at the time.

Yes, he might have been a bit naive thinking the rules would stay that way but if the project had started a month earlier I wouldn't have bet against them taking manufacturers and drivers titles last season.
Old 10 May 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3732642)   #233
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think Subaru do have some right to feel hard done by. Honda seemingly enjoy a massive braking advantage through clever technical engineering that they have employed, I don't see too much of a difference with any kind of advantage Subaru had.
Old 10 May 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3732644)   #234
Northern Monkey
Racer

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As mentioned, more from Bill Coombs at Thruxton on the Lloyd incident and Church...

http://www.touringcartimes.com/2017/...urch-incident/
Old 10 May 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3732646)   #235
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think Subaru do have some right to feel hard done by. Honda seemingly enjoy a massive braking advantage through clever technical engineering that they have employed, I don't see too much of a difference with any kind of advantage Subaru had.
eh? they all use exactly the same suspension and exactly the same brakes. even exactly the same amount and size of brake cooling ducts and brake pads. so how can the honda have a massive braking advantage. please explain?
Old 10 May 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3732647)   #236
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Honda's "clever technical engineering" is nothing more than changing pads and discs after every session/race so that they always have maximum braking ability.
Old 10 May 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3732652)   #237
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Honda's "clever technical engineering" is nothing more than changing pads and discs after every session/race so that they always have maximum braking ability.
thats what i thought. just better attention to detail. and budget
Old 10 May 2017, 13:49 (Ref:3732662)   #238
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
I think people are also referring to Honda's clever use of the VTEC system to maximise engine braking on the 'low' cam. Again, hardly an unfair advantage as most modern engines now utilise some form of variable valve timing, just that NBE have managed to get the most out of it for this application. And those who choose to use the Swindon unit have done so because they don't want to spend on developing their own power unit.
Old 10 May 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3732667)   #239
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
eh? they all use exactly the same suspension and exactly the same brakes. even exactly the same amount and size of brake cooling ducts and brake pads. so how can the honda have a massive braking advantage. please explain?
If thats the reason they can brake 4-5 metres later than everyone else then I think all teams would be changing brakes after every race.
Old 10 May 2017, 16:39 (Ref:3732682)   #240
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
If thats the reason they can brake 4-5 metres later than everyone else then I think all teams would be changing brakes after every race.
There's a reason teams were glad of free sets of tyres as prizes.
Given the budgets involved, I'm sure all teams would love new discs and pads every session but they accept a compromise.
Old 10 May 2017, 16:49 (Ref:3732683)   #241
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
do they sell their used ones to small privateers ?

if they are "only" one race used
Old 10 May 2017, 16:50 (Ref:3732684)   #242
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
If they're fresh every race, and presumably for qualifying, that means 4-6 sets of discs and pads per car every weekend. Not sure everyone could afford that.
Old 10 May 2017, 19:16 (Ref:3732710)   #243
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
do they sell their used ones to small privateers ?

if they are "only" one race used
It's probably not just a case of new pads, but that they can set the car up to use the full life of pads/discs during the race giving them maximum efficiency.
Old 10 May 2017, 20:26 (Ref:3732719)   #244
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Plato was saying on the Flux blog that it's critical to get the car in fast traffic otherwise they can't progress. Could it just be that getting a good quali position is hyper important in that car?
I don't think that it is just the Subarus that suffer from that. It's clearly affecting the Motorbase Fords and the Team HARD CCs.
Old 10 May 2017, 21:01 (Ref:3732726)   #245
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
I don't think that it is just the Subarus that suffer from that. It's clearly affecting the Motorbase Fords and the Team HARD CCs.
No, I think the problem there, is (with a couple of exceptions) that the drivers of said cars aren't exactly at the sharp end of the pack to begin with!
Old 11 May 2017, 05:56 (Ref:3732757)   #246
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
There are a few not going as well as expected, but probably each for different reasons.
The Subaru's current strength is in the corners (as acknowledged by Sutton and Scott). The problem Plato refers to is getting held up in corners by slower cars.
The Fords seem to struggle with delivery of power, which gives them less driveability that is highlighted by lack of experience.
The CC's had all their early development on the GPRM parts, and seem to be struggling to get the RML parts to perform.
Old 11 May 2017, 14:54 (Ref:3732821)   #247
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's probably not just a case of new pads, but that they can set the car up to use the full life of pads/discs during the race giving them maximum efficiency.
Probably use the used ones in free practice and testing
Old 11 May 2017, 14:56 (Ref:3732822)   #248
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think Motorbase have been shafted with BOP - no power - this is the risk with a BOP formula. One week you are quick then in the blink of an eye you have a scrap car / team and you cannot control it.
Old 11 May 2017, 15:27 (Ref:3732826)   #249
one_day
Rookie

one_day should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So do Team Dynamics use 6 sets of brakes per car every weekend?
Old 11 May 2017, 15:30 (Ref:3732828)   #250
one_day
Rookie

one_day should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They did mention in coverage that Sutton had been experimenting with a different ratio for 6th gear, so perhaps that was part of the speed trap figures?
How many different ratios can the teams use?