Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is the Toyota so inconsistent?

?
Old 28 Jun 2003, 13:11 (Ref:645404)   #2
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think the F1 hq is near by this GP and light fuel
Old 28 Jun 2003, 13:27 (Ref:645420)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The TOYOTA factory is in Köln. However, the speed that Panis has shown this weekend is attributable both to the superior Michelin tire and the fact that TOYOTA have a new version of their lump which allegedly puts them on par with the BMW's.

Their primary problems alll season have been aerodynamic-the car has been sensetive to pitch (nose diving uder braking ) and the back end has been unsuited to high-downforce applications. The Nurburgring seems to suit them.
Old 28 Jun 2003, 13:28 (Ref:645421)   #4
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't think its fuel - been quick all weekend. The track must suit the car - someone must know why - downforce, aero?
Old 28 Jun 2003, 13:33 (Ref:645425)   #5
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think when Michelin has the upper hand the Toyotas look better. When they are about even then Toyota begins to look lacking. Michlin has not really been behind all year so its hard to say how bad tires would make them look.

That said, whatever they did, the car is damn fast this weekend. Good job! Its aweful to watch Honda struggle and see these guys succeed. Anyway, lets see how the race pans out.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 01:51 (Ref:645752)   #6
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know how it can be anything but a lack of downforce becasue they were dreadfully slow at Monaco
Old 29 Jun 2003, 07:05 (Ref:645809)   #7
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think EERO has it right with aero sensitivity
Old 29 Jun 2003, 09:25 (Ref:645852)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think their good showing this weekend is down to low fuel. They have often ran light but then pitted early Panis made a pretty noticable mistake on his lap yet still came in 7th. They could have been running low-fuel laps in the practice sessions.

It is indeed only at tracks where Mihcelin have been on top that they've been competitive, but it's still rare to see them above the similarly-tyred Jaguar of Webber.

I think the car's aerodynamics are sensitive, but the inherent problems are with the corporation itself, which ahsn't got over the phase of throwing money at the team and expecting results. Personally I don't want them to do well, I think they're a dangerous manipulative company who'd happily kill racing if the publicity would be good.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 11:13 (Ref:645912)   #9
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I agree Boots Light .See we can agree
Old 29 Jun 2003, 12:42 (Ref:645924)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its only their second season racing. They build the entire car. Given that the team they are just behind is Renault, I think they are doing a credible job. Its absurd to expect wins or even podiums so early in the game for them.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 13:44 (Ref:645949)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Hey Toyota were the ones talking up a chance at 4th this year. Toyota are the ones saying their motor upgrade should be up to par now with BMW. Building their own cars may be more costly but its surely the better way to go. I don't expect them to win races yet either but by no means am I going to defend them. They qualified well but again their race pace was not that great.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 13:46 (Ref:645951)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a great showing today....did Panis have a mechanical failure of some sort? To make the same mistake on that corner twice, I'd think there'd have to be. And then there was Da Matta's big blow up.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:07 (Ref:646093)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seeing a Toyota spun in the gravel or spewing smoke always makes me smile. So those three incidents really brigghtened up the race for me. I knew they weren't really that compettiive.
Old 29 Jun 2003, 15:36 (Ref:646143)   #14
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Seeing a Toyota spun in the gravel or spewing smoke always makes me smile. So those three incidents really brigghtened up the race for me. I knew they weren't really that compettiive.