Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Feb 2012, 12:23 (Ref:3028347)   #226
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The issue is that a major news outlet in Australia's biggest market is so anti-V8Supercar that the situation has to be untenable.

Somebody inside the V8Supercar enclave needs to fix this... and how...
Given he's still refused accreditation at all V8SC events, I'm guessing they're not really troubling themselves with McKay. And nor should they. Any regular reader of Peter's knows what his attitude is to the V8SC hierachy.

And don't confuse McKay's position with that of Fairfax. While they were anti Homebush (partially because the event was tied up with the Daily Tele), they are not anti V8s or anti motorsport. Both Michael Lynch and Josh Rakic do a good job covering the V8s and Fairfax give major stories a run. It does pale in comparison to the breadth of coverage News Ltd gives it via FoxSports/Speed, but then again it's more reliable a source than Mr Phelps' efforts.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 14:51 (Ref:3028390)   #227
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The issue is that a major news outlet in Australia's biggest market is so anti-V8Supercar that the situation has to be untenable.

Somebody inside the V8Supercar enclave needs to fix this... and how...
Well, constructive criticism is always good, but also it doesn't make much sense to have a reporter on a beat that they can't stand. For instance you wouldn't have someone covering football if they hated football.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3028392)   #228
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Who's "we"?

Not being a smart a***, but, boring or not terrible. Which one is it?
I just did not find it exceptional. It was OK, but as we saw it died out quickly and was not a commercial success.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 09:59 (Ref:3029340)   #229
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I just did not find it exceptional. It was OK, but as we saw it died out quickly and was not a commercial success.
I don't know, maybe it's just me, it doesn't bother me if I don't see a Arnoux/Villeneuve type race every week.

Like I stated before, when the cars competing are a top end manufacturer, a car you can't buy in Australia, an unattainable car that, perhaps, shouldn't have been competing in the first place (let alone dominating), then it's no wonder popularity died down a lot.

On top of that, Group A was finishing up in Europe and there was Holden (the only car people here could relate to) looking like it was only trying at Bathurst, looking a back, it seemed an inevitable death, so to speak.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 11:05 (Ref:3029366)   #230
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Like I stated before, when the cars competing are a top end manufacturer, a car you can't buy in Australia, an unattainable car that, perhaps, shouldn't have been competing in the first place (let alone dominating), then it's no wonder popularity died down a lot.
Agreed, not being for sale in aus was always the biggest one for me, which you could virtually say was the case for the GTR as well. I don't care if BMW or Merc were to race as by what i see on the road today, there are a lot of those out there as well. Let's face it, a BMW 5-series would be perfect
Old 23 Feb 2012, 10:30 (Ref:3029803)   #231
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where do I buy a short wheelbase, composite panel, sequential shift, 5 litre Commodore ?
Old 23 Feb 2012, 10:34 (Ref:3029807)   #232
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
Where do I buy a short wheelbase, composite panel, sequential shift, 5 litre Commodore ?
Fair few V8 teams have them - that'd be the best place to go.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 02:35 (Ref:3030176)   #233
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Fair few V8 teams have them - that'd be the best place to go.
They'll help me get it registered ?
Old 24 Feb 2012, 03:12 (Ref:3030179)   #234
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
They'll help me get it registered ?
I am absolutely positive that Triple 8 Race Engineering would do this for you if you had the desire and the necessary reddies.

Like the nuff nuff that spent more than $200k to road register an F3 car in Japan...
Old 24 Feb 2012, 06:51 (Ref:3030215)   #235
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I am absolutely positive that Triple 8 Race Engineering would do this for you if you had the desire and the necessary reddies.

Like the nuff nuff that spent more than $200k to road register an F3 car in Japan...
Willing to bet david will change his requirements about it after you've said this.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3030259)   #236
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Or the people who have road registered Porsche 917s & 962s - or even 1956 Chevy with a Merlin engine.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 09:46 (Ref:3030277)   #237
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Or the people who have road registered Porsche 917s & 962s - or even 1956 Chevy with a Merlin engine.
What I wouldn't do for a Dauer 962
Old 24 Feb 2012, 09:54 (Ref:3030282)   #238
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
If I was going to spend that much money I'd want something that was nice to drive.

But seriously folks, I'd just like them to be made from a car body, with manufacturer involvement, doesn't have to be a return to any previous rules, don't need 500 evo specials or road registered supercars, just somewhere between where COTF & Group A.

A road registered 908/03 would be cool.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 11:02 (Ref:3030315)   #239
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
But seriously folks, I'd just like them to be made from a car body, with manufacturer involvement, doesn't have to be a return to any previous rules, don't need 500 evo specials or road registered supercars, just somewhere between where COTF & Group A.
The problem is road car shells are not made for racing and that makes them:

1. More expensive to build
2. More expensive and slower to repair
3. Less safe

So the COTF is about as relevant really as today's cars that START as road car shells, but looks the same on the exterior, but the 3 points above mean the racing will be better, cheaper, and safer.

Sadly production based racing had its time and the shortcomings made for relatively boring racing, less reliable cars, and sadly, deaths.
Old 24 Feb 2012, 11:09 (Ref:3030318)   #240
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
If I was going to spend that much money I'd want something that was nice to drive.

A road registered 908/03 would be cool.
Why?
Old 25 Feb 2012, 01:34 (Ref:3030705)   #241
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Small correction, its a 55 Chev.

Unless there is another shoebox with a Merlin block wedged into it
Old 25 Feb 2012, 04:15 (Ref:3030726)   #242
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Small correction, its a 55 Chev.

Unless there is another shoebox with a Merlin block wedged into it
Bugger!! Knew it wasn't a 57 but didn't bother looking it up.

Cheers
Old 26 Feb 2012, 01:17 (Ref:3031190)   #243
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Why?
Why are Porches cool or why don't I like space framed, transaxled, plastic paneled sports sedans pretending to be touring cars ?
Old 26 Feb 2012, 01:25 (Ref:3031193)   #244
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
The problem is road car shells are not made for racing and that makes them:

1. More expensive to build
2. More expensive and slower to repair
3. Less safe

So the COTF is about as relevant really as today's cars that START as road car shells, but looks the same on the exterior, but the 3 points above mean the racing will be better, cheaper, and safer.

Sadly production based racing had its time and the shortcomings made for relatively boring racing, less reliable cars, and sadly, deaths.
Someone best tell all the GT3, TCM etc that then.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 01:32 (Ref:3031195)   #245
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Someone best tell all the GT3, TCM etc that then.
Have you had a look at a GT3 car lately? Tell me where I can go buy a road registered Mosler? How exactly is Reiter Engineering that different from Triple Eight Race engineering? Regardless do you think Punters would be that interested in a $1m car that doesn't resemble anything they can afford? Go ask someone like Ross Palmer...

TCM don't race anything like as long races or as many races as V8s, and some of them are starting to become very exotic and expensive. They are in my opinion the next best entertainment to V8s.

Anyway I think you've made your point, so if you dislike the V8s so much why not go away?
Old 26 Feb 2012, 01:56 (Ref:3031215)   #246
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
I enjoy aspects of them, I would like them better if they where touring cars. I am entitled to an opinion, as are we all. You can always ignore me.
Old 26 Feb 2012, 02:17 (Ref:3031222)   #247
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think manufacturers enjoy racing production cars incase they get found out as being inferior to the competition, or you get back to the point where manufacturers start building race cars for the road, and these days that is seen as irresponsible to the general public when it comes to road safety.

So unfortunately this is as close as we're going to get to touring cars for now and most likely the future. Me personally, i don't have a problem with the path their taking however i would not like to see the "crate" engine come into effect. Holden - GM power, Ford - Ford, Nissan - Nissan, Chery - GM (NOOOOOOOO)
Old 26 Feb 2012, 11:21 (Ref:3031411)   #248
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Why are Porches cool or why don't I like space framed, transaxled, plastic paneled sports sedans pretending to be touring cars ?
Why this line

"But seriously folks, I'd just like them to be made from a car body, with manufacturer involvement, doesn't have to be a return to any previous rules, don't need 500 evo specials or road registered supercars, just somewhere between where COTF & Group A."
Old 27 Feb 2012, 02:49 (Ref:3031731)   #249
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Why this line

"But seriously folks, I'd just like them to be made from a car body, with manufacturer involvement, doesn't have to be a return to any previous rules, don't need 500 evo specials or road registered supercars, just somewhere between where COTF & Group A."
Because that's what I'd like to see happen, I like touring cars, not the beech buggies we have now. I don't see it happening though, I think I'm in the minority, I just like to dream.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 05:32 (Ref:3031749)   #250
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Careful David some opinions are not allowed apparently.

But curious, how would we get a race car that doesn't need homologation specials? isn't that sports sedans?