Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 30 Dec 2002, 15:33 (Ref:460173)   #251
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well done ayse, i have got the internet back at home - so's im gonna post some Milano setups to get you old men as quick as us young'ens - and as fast as us

im gobsmacked my rank is now +19 - when i improved at so many tracks, it turns out ive budged a few steps closer to negative at most tracks except Kyalami and Mexico (HISSSSSS)...if i could hook up a mistake-free lap at Spa, i could do a 3m19...but im usually wayyy too hot into Stavelot - or mess up at Blanchimont, but all is not lost because at the ring' im going to go negative soon - ive had a few laps when ive done a 8m29/28 - but had a 10 second mishap - ive looked at my replays there - and although it may seem really arrogant: but i am on the limit at most places in the lap - i mean that i am doing sections so quickly that if i was as quick as that throughout the lap i would be nudging 8m10

anyways see ya'll tonight when im online AT HOME...looking for a race at Miloval

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 30 Dec 2002, 15:37 (Ref:460178)   #252
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan
.....but i am on the limit at most places in the lap - i mean that i am doing sections so quickly that if i was as quick as that throughout the lap i would be nudging 8m10
You do realise that the aliens are way under 7:50......

I can't crow though, after my excellent Friday, I had a miserable Saturday and Sunday. Still can't improve my pathetic times at the Ring. I shall download the new GPLEA Ferrari tonight and armed with that and the extra ooomph that goes with it - I'm determined to find 1.123 seconds.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 18:14 (Ref:460302)   #253
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
i realise that ayse, but i think its amazing that im that fast in some sections compared to supposedly ****-easy tracks like Mexico (HISSSSS) where im plopier than a poo stick in a toilet...

however, i did go very quick for like one lap - then frustratingly i was all-over the track, so i had a break and tried again - only to shout expletives at a very high volume and thumping the desk!!!

Old 30 Dec 2002, 19:57 (Ref:460390)   #254
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mexico is a funny one, with that difficult T1 and the "point and squirt" section before the main straight. I was hopeless there for weeks, then I managed to pop in a negative time just under the 1:50 benchmark. I went back there again on Friday and took nearly 2 full seconds off and I know there's a lot more to come.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 01:17 (Ref:460622)   #255
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I find that Mexico, is a mickey mouse track even by '67 standards. I really don't like it.

Too much first gear shenanigins.. It's supposed be an F1 track!

But seriously, Mexico is hard because you have to try and avoid the tyres and keep all that first gear torque in check. I think the key is to get the weight transfer right through the corners. Use tyre loading to your advantage.

Granted, I haven't mastered the place yet, but that's what makes GPL such a gem. You can judge what needs to be done using real race car physics as a reference.

Did I mention that I love GPL?

Last edited by Spudgun; 31 Dec 2002 at 01:19.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 08:19 (Ref:460746)   #256
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun

Too much first gear shenanigins.. It's supposed be an F1 track!
Hmmm. Maybe I'm driving it wrong then? The only time I'm ever in 1st gear (apart from leaving the pits and at the start bof a race) is at the hairpin?

What you need to know is that the Papy generated "groove" is hopeless. Use The Racing Line and add in a more representative groove from a faster replay, you'll soon see where the time can be made up.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 31 Dec 2002 at 08:20.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 12:27 (Ref:460854)   #257
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

Hmmm. Maybe I'm driving it wrong then? The only time I'm ever in 1st gear (apart from leaving the pits and at the start bof a race) is at the hairpin?
Well, I don't know if I'm driving it right. I've just used the Papy replay as a guide. Check it out. Most of the twisty bits are driven in first gear!
Old 31 Dec 2002, 13:56 (Ref:460932)   #258
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I actually deleted most of the original Papy replays some time ago (still on the CD though, of course). I've got so many others to choose from. Watch an "alien" at Mexico and you will see some very different lines!
Old 3 Jan 2003, 02:22 (Ref:462434)   #259
Se7en
Rookie

Se7en should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had GPL for a few years, but until now, my PC has always been too slow with no 3D acceleration.

However, got myself a lovely whizz-bang 2.5Ghz PC with 3DFX card for Christmas, only to find the game decsribed as "CD invalid - contact your retailer" !!

I've reinstalled a million times, even copied the entire CD contents to the HD, but no dice. Somebody help me... I need a fix!

Last edited by Se7en; 3 Jan 2003 at 02:23.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 11:00 (Ref:462617)   #260
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Need some more info Se7en - what version of the game do you have? And what OS? Does it let you install at all?

Last edited by Aysedasi; 3 Jan 2003 at 11:01.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 20:39 (Ref:463043)   #261
Se7en
Rookie

Se7en should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Aysedasi.

I'm attempting to run version 1.0.0.0 on XP.

I get the Blue 'Install' screen, a system test, followed by the 'WAV File' test, a welcome screen, a destination directory , then it asks what type of setup I'd prefer (Full or typical) and as soon as I hit either, I get "This is not a valid CD. Please contact your vendor for further information."

The menu screens disappear at that point. I suspect that this version of the game is just too early for the OS. Whaddya think?
Old 3 Jan 2003, 20:52 (Ref:463057)   #262
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
ok, what is a .dll file - because whenever my computer tries to install a .dll file, it crashes!!!

Old 4 Jan 2003, 09:28 (Ref:463399)   #263
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

The menu screens disappear at that point. I suspect that this version of the game is just too early for the OS. Whaddya think?
I'm not so sure. I installed my version of 1.0.0.0 on XP when I got my new machine about 4 months ago. But funnily enough, I can't get it to install on my old 333 celeron (upstairs) which has also got XP on it. I'm really not sure what the answer is Se7en. You're better off posting the problem at RaceSimCentral - you can bet your life that someone there will know the answer.

Juan - a dll is a dynamic link library file. To save me explaining:-

In computers, a dynamic link library (DLL) is a collection of small programs, any of which can be called when needed by a larger program that is running in the computer. The small program that lets the larger program communicate with a specific device such as a printer or scanner is often packaged as a DLL program (usually referred to as a DLL file). DLL files that support specific device operation are known as device drivers.

So you don't delete them unless you really know what you're doing!
Old 4 Jan 2003, 18:40 (Ref:463720)   #264
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
im not, the computer crashes at the sight of the damn things!!!

Old 4 Jan 2003, 23:04 (Ref:463928)   #265
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wooooo! It arrived this morning - and I'm going back to Canterbury tomorrow... damn... I suppose I could install it on the computers at school... I had a little spin at Spa, very impressed... can't wait to get stuck into it at Easter... such a long time away!!!

Last edited by Minardi fan; 4 Jan 2003 at 23:05.