Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Jul 2002, 21:11 (Ref:345743)   #1
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tracy has signed with Team Players

Just got back from Vancouver. According to a source close to Paul Tracy, he has signed a 2 year deal with Team Players. A press conference will be scheduled to make a official announcement. Paul is also to have a new helmet in the process of being painted to reflect the Players colors.

At the post race press conference Paul was asked if this ould be possibly be his last Vancouver Indy. He replied "I can guarantee it's not going to be".

Stay tuned....

Last edited by MolsonBoy; 29 Jul 2002 at 21:13.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 21:51 (Ref:345766)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
In a way I hope you're right, Molson. He's already stated his intention to stay in the series. But it frightens me somewhat in that it could mean that Andretti intends to jump ship. I look forward to confirmation at any rate. And isn't it rather early to get a new helmet? He's only got what? The better part of a year?
Old 29 Jul 2002, 22:06 (Ref:345784)   #3
Kretzman JB fan
Rookie

Kretzman JB fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its not a bad move for Tracy eventually you knew that he might or could go to Player's since its an all Canadian team. Hopefully its true, I think it would be a good move for Tracy because he always looked uncomfortable with TKG because they might go to the IRL. Hopefully this is true and he can make a good team with Carpantier or Tagliani
Old 29 Jul 2002, 23:08 (Ref:345826)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Patrick may jump ship (he has been carrying that "I don't care" chip on his shoulder just about long enough now) and it may be that, as he has been hinting, he will take a pay cut to go to another team if necessary. Dario has started saying that it all depends on the money for him, so look for him to jump ship, although Ms. Ashley Judd won't get nearly the attention in East Jesus as she gets in Long Beach.

But good news if true about PT and I look forward to seeing him put some pizzaz in Tags!

P.S. As for Mikey, I don't care what he does.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 23:30 (Ref:345847)   #5
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Molsonboy you said PT got a two year deal I hope you're right but I thought Players was pulling out of CART in 2003 because of Canadian anti Tabbaco legislation. Does this mean that Forsyth has another sponsor in mind for 2004 and beyond? Also if Paul decides to go to Players he's basically going to be downgrading, maybe he dosen't have a choice but I would think Newman/Haas or Ganassi would be interested in a talent like PT.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 01:37 (Ref:345911)   #6
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the deal will be with Forsythe, not necessarily Player's.

What an explosive combination that would be? Tracy and Tagliani.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 02:16 (Ref:345933)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, I'd like to see that. I've been dissapointed with Players ever since Greg died... There's no excuse for having two French Canadians on the team at the same time. I mean, jeez, show some diversity.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 04:59 (Ref:345967)   #8
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Macdaddy - as to your comment about the helmet I have heard that Troy Lee is taking over a year to get helmets done. So maybe Paul will get it by the first race in2003.

I heard (please take as second hand info) that Chris Pook talked to Patrick C on Saturday and asked him what it would take for him to stay in CART.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 06:15 (Ref:345990)   #9
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good to see PT at Players, then he can actually whip Franchittis ar$e instead of sit behind him.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 06:42 (Ref:346001)   #10
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I mentioned in another thread, perhaps Forsythe can bring back McDonalds to CART?

And yes, it's nice to have Tracy, a non French driver in the previously 2 French driver series? OTOH, which English speaking Canadian could have stepped up to replace Moore back in '99? As for Michael Andretti, according to a recent interview, Mario is openly against joining the IRL and staying with CART. But in the end, Mario admitted the decision must be made by Michael. Let's hope Michael will give CART another year??
Old 30 Jul 2002, 12:58 (Ref:346274)   #11
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I don't think that you'll se McDonalds back in CART. They have cut back their involvement in NASCAR, and they have been dealing with sagging sales for the past five quarters.

However, I have noticed that the Forsythe cars have sprouted Pizza Hut logos as of two races ago. Perhaps they will step up? Time will tell.

One thng is for sure, Forsythe won't just close up shop when Player's leaves. He's CART's biggest shareholder.

Carpentier has been very open with the fact that he's been contacted by an IRL team for next season. Maybe it's Andretti-Green?

I think that Michael will run at least one car in CART, the lure of big bucks and factory team status from Honda will be too much to turn his back on. Franchitti also made some very pro-CART statements after Sunday's race. He'll really be unhappy if he's forced to the IRL...
Old 30 Jul 2002, 13:08 (Ref:346280)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kmchow
OTOH, which English speaking Canadian could have stepped up to replace Moore back in '99?
If you recall Moore was going to Penske so PLayer's had sometime to work out who would take that seat. They held a private test where Ontario driver Lee Bentham was shown to be the fastest, yet for other reasons they went for Tags. You can judge what those other reasons were...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 Jul 2002, 13:33 (Ref:346311)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news if Tracy has signed. At least it keeps him away from the bushleague. But with Players still considering a 3 car team for next year, perhaps Carpentier may stay, but his comments of late have been in the negative.

A Tracy/Tagliani combination looks quite formidable. Perhaps a consistent return to the pointy end of the grid is on the cards?
Old 30 Jul 2002, 14:00 (Ref:346345)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How does this jibe with PT being happier with the Lola chassis than the Reynard?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 30 Jul 2002, 14:46 (Ref:346382)   #15
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess a Reynard beats a Dallara or G-Force....
Old 30 Jul 2002, 15:42 (Ref:346421)   #16
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Pizza Hut... interesting. There were alot of Harvey's commercials on the TV, too. Both are owned by the same company...
Old 30 Jul 2002, 15:48 (Ref:346428)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tracy is a natural for Pizza Hut/Harvey's commercials. Can you see him deliving pizza (like the former Gil in the FedEx commercial)?
Old 30 Jul 2002, 16:29 (Ref:346471)   #18
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Player's has been OK since Greg. After all, Greg was the one who made Forsythe race winners after the IRL split, and the Tags-Patrick duo could have won like 4 or 5 more races. The Player's drivers were OK for me, and I'd prefer to see a 3-car Forsythe team rather than Patrick leaving.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 18:31 (Ref:346550)   #19
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, Pizza Hut will have extremely fast deliveries with a 800hp CART car. Speaking of Nascar-ish sponsors, it's nice to see Office Depot joining the CART circuit.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 19:39 (Ref:346595)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
MY EMAIL TO TEAMPLAYERS.CA:

I am a member of a CART forum, and for the last couple of days there has been a persistent rumour that Paul Tracy has signed with the Forsythe team for two years.

Any truth to that?

And if you cannot answer right now, could you verify whether or not there will be an upcoming press conference, and when?

THEIR RESPONSE (Received within ten minutes):

There are definitely a lot of rumours floating around these days - sorry, I don't have any additional information at this time. However, I have forwarded your email to the Team Player's PR people. Hopefully they are able to help.

I'LL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED WHEN I HEAR MORE...
Old 30 Jul 2002, 20:30 (Ref:346630)   #21
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
I think the deal will be with Forsythe, not necessarily Player's.

What an explosive combination that would be? Tracy and Tagliani.

Tracy and Tagliani ... aka ... TNT?

Ted

Old 30 Jul 2002, 20:53 (Ref:346642)   #22
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Franchitti?

Who will leave Players or will it be a 3 car team?
Old 31 Jul 2002, 08:02 (Ref:346919)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam020728/car_indy1-cp.html

Some exerpts:

Asked if he expects Player's to be racing in 2004, Blanche shook his head. "Right now I'd say it's 60-40 we won't be back," he said.

Team Player's will race in 2003. What the cars will look like come October, when the Canadian government's legislation which imposes significant restrictions on advertising and imposes a ban on tobacco sponsorships becomes law, Blanche isn't sure.

(About Tracy):

"Paul's had talks with everybody," Blanche laughed. "We've had some discussions with him. It would be kind of silly not to speak with Paul since he's one of the three Canadians out there. He's always expressed a desire to drive for us and we always would have liked to see him in a uniform as well."

Blanche dampened speculation Player's could add a third car for next year. "What we'll run for sure is two," he said. "Running two cars is expensive enough. Running a third car adds to the budget. If we're fortunate enough and another company wants to step up to the plate, then we'd look at it."
Old 31 Jul 2002, 11:47 (Ref:347074)   #24
Liz
Veteran

Judging by what has happened in this Tobacco legislation so far, I'd say it'll be at least 10 years before they have it sorted out. And we will probably have a change of government next year and that will throw a wrench into the works too.

I wouldn't put much stock in the "60-40 we won't be back" statement as those ITL people are always gloomy. They're like my overweight cat trying to convince me she's starving to death.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 15:48 (Ref:347227)   #25
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Judging by the comments made,and the body language used, during Andrettis' "I bought the team" announcement, I think Paul driving for Players is very likely. Both current Players' pilots expressed a dislike for the team concept after the race, so this bit of dissension will have to be nipped in the bud straight away. I think it is Patrick on the bubble.