Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Feb 2007, 16:33 (Ref:1838725)   #26
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
I've heard of the Biggin Hill collection. I'm surprised BE doesn't do more with it.
His Swiss collection is said to be bigger than Biggin. He bought the Albert Obrist Ferrari collection for example plus many Brabhams for obvious reasons.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 17:02 (Ref:1838742)   #27
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
His Swiss collection is said to be bigger than Biggin. He bought the Albert Obrist Ferrari collection for example plus many Brabhams for obvious reasons.
Doe's anyone know of his intentions with all these cars, apart from making money!
Old 11 Feb 2007, 20:26 (Ref:1838869)   #28
Tony Davies
Rookie

United Kingdom
Shoreham, UK
Tony Davies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I had a couple of very good races last year, and "caught the bug" again!
Dad's mini cooper is still around. The family are considering giving it a restoration job - it is 1964 and totally original. Jack died in 2001 (aged 82), but right up to the end he was still working, and driving 100 miles a day! He really enjoyed his racing days, that's for sure!
Next year will be my 30th season with the Firenza!!! - Good excuse for a knees-up!!
Old 11 Feb 2007, 21:07 (Ref:1838880)   #29
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
See you out there Tony, come and say hello and welcome to the site.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 21:08 (Ref:1838881)   #30
benjabulle
Racer

benjabulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
Doe's anyone know of his intentions with all these cars, apart from making money!
I'm afraid he doesn't want to make money with them Many stories can be read about his collection, sometimes from people having worked on it but I've never read any answers to this question.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 21:10 (Ref:1838882)   #31
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its a waste to let racing cars rot privatley - let them rot in public like the ex carraciola '38 Merc Grand Prix car in the Prague technical museum.
Old 11 Feb 2007, 23:29 (Ref:1838915)   #32
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll do some research on Biggin Hill and post here when I know more..........
Old 12 Feb 2007, 02:15 (Ref:1838965)   #33
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the story here is that Albert needed to borrow $$ for a business deal banks would not lend so he asked BE for 5 Bernies to do a deal
BE loaned the $$ against alberts ferrari collection
when the date came to repay the 5 Bernies Albert did not have the money so BE inherited the collection and Albert sank with out a trace

BE has no intentions of letting us peasants see his cars

The Brabhams he has owned since he bought the team will never sell them
has loaned 2 cars out for 1 year per annum to 2 "pals"
Gordon Murray was given his BT49 it sat in donington museum he sold car to a TGP racer
when BE found out he was not happy!
Old 12 Feb 2007, 07:58 (Ref:1839059)   #34
historicmechy
Rookie

England
Near Snetterton, Norfolk
historicmechy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have only ever heard stories about BE's museum, from my boss who helped to restore one of his BT52s and from another person who went to pick up the bt49 that is on loan. Both have said that it made them sick seeing all the cars in there. Most sitting there on original tyres that they finished the race on and some restored examples.

I would love the be able to have a look around but until that time i guess i will never see my favourite car, a brabham bt52!!
Old 12 Feb 2007, 08:10 (Ref:1839063)   #35
Tony Davies
Rookie

United Kingdom
Shoreham, UK
Tony Davies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
See you out there Tony, come and say hello and welcome to the site.
Thanks Al,
If the plan comes together, I'm hoping to be at Brands, April 19/20.
All the best,
Tony
Old 12 Feb 2007, 08:20 (Ref:1839066)   #36
benjabulle
Racer

benjabulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the BT49's, 2 are running in TGP. One is owned by its driver (2005 champion), I don't know for this other one. For the BT52's, all are owned by Bernie except one chassis, at BMW private museum. This is the car that ran at Goodwood, I had the chance to see it at Munich 2 years ago (last time was in 1984 at Geneva motorshow ), unfortunately I had a bad camera :
http://www.gurneyflap.com/bt52photos.html
Old 12 Feb 2007, 13:30 (Ref:1839332)   #37
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a website called 28 days later. Recently their cameras got in to Longbridge and posted up the most amazing set of pictures

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/index.php
Old 19 Feb 2007, 06:38 (Ref:1845222)   #38
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Like everyone here I've often wondered where the cars have gone too. But not only cars, karts as well. Myself and a friend were just debating that during a liquid evening over Christmas and he was recounting a number of instances of people dumping Vauxhall/Opel Lotus chassis into skips. I imagine that fate fell to a significant number of lower-class single seater and saloon cars, as well as karts. Depressing isn't it
Old 19 Feb 2007, 09:02 (Ref:1845297)   #39
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
BT49 car Glasel owns the car Gordon Murray had in the donington museum sold it to Ian Giles who raced it for 1-2 seasons
Ermanno Ronchi had a "loan" of a BT49 Simon Hadfield restored the car ran it for 1 season then it went back to BE apparently the deal was done due to their wives being friends
The 2nd BT49 is now out i would think on a "loan" basis

As for old race cars and skips
I bought 93 f3000 car in japan 8 years ago from a private owner- when i went to the team who had owned the car they told me 4 weeks earlier they had cut 1 car up threw it in the skip- im still researching the japanese words to have told him he was a nutter
Old 19 Feb 2007, 09:26 (Ref:1845315)   #40
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if you only think about the cars you once used to own.
I've sold some, far too cheap because then I didn't have the space and quite often the money to keep them.
Sold them for peanuts where I should have kept them (at least three). One saloon (all built in top spec) was demolished in rallycross by some nutters, another ended up in a skip as well.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 13:36 (Ref:1845522)   #41
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've sold 5 different 2 door Cortinas in the last year, 1 written of rallying, 1 was a resto project, the other being used as an early Lotus resto donor, 1 for an LC race build and the other a mint road car, will stay like that. . . . .I'd imagine lots of race cars get garaged by ownbers who can afford to kep them but nnot use them . . .the question is how long can you keep it without using it before its useless . . .and therefore of little value, then you think sod it, I'll keep it anyway, its easy to see why cars dissapear for years on end
Old 19 Feb 2007, 14:30 (Ref:1845547)   #42
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder if we should post pics of forgotten racers - alan raines FF for example
Old 19 Feb 2007, 20:44 (Ref:1845770)   #43
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=davyboy]Myself and a friend were just debating that during a liquid evening over Christmas

Yeah and my head still hurts!! I recently came across a Formula Ford that was sold 25 yrs ago and is still sitting in the van it was sold with. Never even turned a wheel even though it was only maybe 4 yrs old when it was sold. The guy that owns it seems to think it's worth about the same as a house in Dublin!! .