Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 Feb 2007, 20:40 (Ref:1836680)   #1
daj
Racer

daj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where do racing cars go?

Been bored today having been snowed in so lots of time watching old videos and flicking through books...Which lead me to wonder...Where do old racing cars go? All the old touring cars, sports cars..Even formula canoes !!!

For example ( I am prob wrong ), But if we took say the current classic saloon scene, How many of the cars racing are original racing cars from the 70`s?

Even on Motorsport Memory on Motors last night, There was grid fulls of 90`s british touring cars...Where do they all go!?!?

So getting to my point, Is there a barn that exists that is full of group 2 2002`s and CSL`s ?? for me to find

Pointless thread I know...Think the snow has got to me !!
Old 8 Feb 2007, 20:46 (Ref:1836689)   #2
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not so pointless I'd say. Something I have asked myself so many times (but never got a reply).
There must be a very big barn out there somewhere.

Most of them probably end up in something like a barn or in storage.
Even in our company we have some cars hidden away, nothing fancy but still racing cars.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 20:55 (Ref:1836702)   #3
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driftwood seems to have most of them.......
Old 9 Feb 2007, 01:13 (Ref:1836892)   #4
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can bet there are barns all over the world with treasures in them. Only problem is locating the barn!
Old 9 Feb 2007, 02:39 (Ref:1836911)   #5
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have been trying to start a register for all the old modsports/special saloon cars, I have access to a race programme which was from 1980 at Ingliston, it had 40 odd imp variations on the entry list. Where have they all gone?

I really love the history of Sports and GT cars, I always try to source cars all over the world. Always interested in where they end up. It was only a few years ago that I found one of the Kouros Sauber Mercedes in a museum, one of my favourites cars ever! It was in a museum in Asschaffenburg, its still as beautiful as the day it last raced.

Of course, Mercedes have their collection which is never on show at the museum in Stuttgart, well I am not so sure about the newly opened museum, last time I tried to get in, it was the week of the German GP and I was suddenly surrounded by Norbert Haug, Kimi Raikkonen, Pedro de la Rosa, Gary Paffett and Ron Dennis, I tried to explain to the security guard I came all the way from Scotland to visit the new museum, he said come back tomorrow!

I am obsessed by Mercedes! I went 8 times in 20 years to the old Mercedes museum.
Old 9 Feb 2007, 07:57 (Ref:1837006)   #6
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My old Formula Ford is stored in a barn next to a pig sty. It whiff's a bit when it gets dragged out!
Old 9 Feb 2007, 10:19 (Ref:1837166)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
In the words of the song:

Oh where have all the old race cars gone?
Into barriers everyone!

I have one in me garage I'm trying to get round to renovate (the sister car is in the Talladaga Museum of Speed) but time, age and money restrains have slowed down progress and I doubt I'm alone.
Old 9 Feb 2007, 12:57 (Ref:1837310)   #8
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Trackdays & Speed Events!

I have seen a lot of ex-circuit racers being pedalled round at Trackdays. The ex-BTCC cars in particular make good vehicles for this. In fact any old racing car that no longer has a viable series in which to compete is often to be found thundering round on trackdays.

I also suspect that there are a few speculators who have popped the odd old car or six into a barn, or similar, on the off-chance someone dreams up an Historic Class for them in a couple of years.

A lot of old single seaters used to make the tranistion to Hillclimbs & Sprints. Currently we have old FF1600, FF2000, Formula Forward, FVL, Formula Renault, Formula Honda, F3 and F3000 cars all being used. However there are fewer and fewer doing so as the bespoke speed event cars are not only cheaper but are also quicker.

Old 10 Feb 2007, 02:04 (Ref:1837819)   #9
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Dennis.Doyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson

A lot of old single seaters used to make the tranistion to Hillclimbs & Sprints. Currently we have old FF1600, FF2000, Formula Forward, FVL, Formula Renault, Formula Honda, F3 and F3000 cars all being used. However there are fewer and fewer doing so as the bespoke speed event cars are not only cheaper but are also quicker.

I agree the bespoke speed event cars are a lot quicker, but if you happen to spot a Force, Gould or Pilbeam that's "cheap" please let me know
Old 10 Feb 2007, 09:57 (Ref:1837934)   #10
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.Doyle
I agree the bespoke speed event cars are a lot quicker, but if you happen to spot a Force, Gould or Pilbeam that's "cheap" please let me know
That sort of CHEAP is relative, a bit like my uncle!
Old 10 Feb 2007, 11:48 (Ref:1837994)   #11
ART Racing
Rookie

Australia
Toowoomba, QLD
ART Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old Race Cars

Friend of mine bought a super tourer from England a while ago. He said that the place he bought it from was a pain in the proverbial to deal with, but that they had heaps of the old touring cars there, including some stacked on top of each other by forklift so that could get the suspension/brakes etc out easier. Guess not everyone agrees that old race cars are worth more for their history than their parts.

John
Old 10 Feb 2007, 12:17 (Ref:1838013)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is said that the largest collection of old GP cars is not at Donington, but in two huge warehouses, one in Biggin Hill and the other over a huge 5-floor warehouse in Switzerland. No-one is allowed to see them, except special guests.
It is also said that the cars are to be left alone, not polished or cleaned. Bet you can guess who owns this collection...
Old 10 Feb 2007, 12:47 (Ref:1838032)   #13
toolbox
Rookie

toolbox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you live in australia we have the AMRS it takes in all and every racing motor car ever built at every meeting come over here with your car and have a ball motor racing 8 to 9 times a year with eather storage 4 your car or car supplied from production to open wheeler or the drivers challenge if youcan realy drive theV8GIANTS thats the next step up from v8 supercars 6ltr not 5
Old 10 Feb 2007, 13:05 (Ref:1838041)   #14
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbox
if you live in australia we have the AMRS it takes in all and every racing motor car ever built at every meeting come over here with your car and have a ball motor racing 8 to 9 times a year with eather storage 4 your car or car supplied from production to open wheeler or the drivers challenge if youcan realy drive theV8GIANTS thats the next step up from v8 supercars 6ltr not 5
I ran out of breath - could somebody translate into English please?
Old 10 Feb 2007, 16:01 (Ref:1838130)   #15
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes Biggin hill is probably the biggest collection of cars in the world
u will be surprised how many car museums there are in the world filled with race cars
Rosso Bianco was propbably 1 of the bigger collections
race tracks have muesums like le mans indy etc
car makers have their own collections of road and race cars and then u get many private collectors I know of people who are porsche lotus ferrari collectors
then u get march chevron lola fans
some for f1 only some for sports cars
there are many guys with at least 4 race cars
I see more race cars than i can shake astick at and im afraid i do get blaise about them
I have a buddy in Oz who has to change his underwear when i tell him what i saw today and i do my best not to rub it in each week when im in a race shop or private barn or his wife would file for divorce

But there are still cars in garages left over from the drivers race career just left there because he doesnt want to sell the car or will not get the ££ he wants for it

and no Thundersports i dont own them all but i do have to sit on my hands many times as i have run out of space but i think the ££ has gone 1st!
Old 10 Feb 2007, 16:53 (Ref:1838158)   #16
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
Rosso Bianco was propbably 1 of the bigger collections
I went there many times, a fantastic museum although some of the exhibits needed a bit of attention - eg. cleaned and tyres pumped up.
Heard Peter Kaus has closed it down and sold the collection to a guy in NL?
Think there were just over 300 cars there last time I went - all sports cars, no single seaters.
Old 10 Feb 2007, 22:36 (Ref:1838323)   #17
driftwood
Veteran

RB museum closed last year sold to dutchman with lots of money nearly all cars been sold off now
Old 10 Feb 2007, 23:52 (Ref:1838365)   #18
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
My old Formula Ford is stored in a barn next to a pig sty. It whiff's a bit when it gets dragged out!
thats a waste alan - get it racing or give it to someone who will. The amount of cars hidden in locks ups and barns is amazing - 1960's Formula Vees are hidden all over the place - I found two without even trying that hard. A few years ago a Gulf 917 turned up near le mans in a shed.

I'd love to have a look round biggin hill
Old 11 Feb 2007, 10:32 (Ref:1838525)   #19
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Wouldn't we all!
Old 11 Feb 2007, 11:55 (Ref:1838569)   #20
driftwood
Veteran

we are the peasants that have in advertandly contributied to this museum over the last 50 years so therte is no chance
Old 11 Feb 2007, 13:15 (Ref:1838614)   #21
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drifty perhaps we could plot a secret mission to get in to Biggin Hill and take a look anyone here know Bernie?
Old 11 Feb 2007, 13:18 (Ref:1838616)   #22
driftwood
Veteran

my fathers plumber had to do work thru 3rd party for BE
1 job at the nannies house next to his house!
once at airport doing pilots washroom in the hanger
heard a few funny stories from this on how fussy/pedantic he is
anyway they ended up in 1 hanger with the cars all in carcoons
these where the street cars
they never saw the race car hanger
all brabham f1 cars are stored in tubes 4 high by 4 wide

have u read the book Bernies Game?
read that then come back and ask about getting in!
sex n travel are phrases thatspring to mind
Old 11 Feb 2007, 14:40 (Ref:1838652)   #23
Tony Davies
Rookie

United Kingdom
Shoreham, UK
Tony Davies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Vauxhall Firenza Thundersaloon hasn't see much action over the last few years, **BUT** - fingers crossed, hoping to dust it down for a full season of CTCRC Classic Mod Saloons this year - Wooo hooo!
Old 11 Feb 2007, 14:47 (Ref:1838659)   #24
driftwood
Veteran

i thought i saw your name in 2006 race results at 1 race
1st time in perhaps 10 years?
do u still have Jacks mini in the lock up?
turned down that narrow street week before last and thought of you lot
ive sent u a PM
Old 11 Feb 2007, 16:11 (Ref:1838714)   #25
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
thats a waste alan - get it racing or give it to someone who will. The amount of cars hidden in locks ups and barns is amazing - 1960's Formula Vees are hidden all over the place - I found two without even trying that hard. A few years ago a Gulf 917 turned up near le mans in a shed.

I met up my car the same day as I met my wife! We are tinkering with the car with best intentions, but at the moment don't have the time to do all that is required

I've heard of the Biggin Hill collection. I'm surprised BE doesn't do more with it.

Last edited by Alan Raine; 11 Feb 2007 at 16:16.