Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Mar 2014, 13:30 (Ref:3378198)   #301
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
However, I have noticed that since the S/C rules were changed to require waved yellow at all times, more marshals choose to not bother waving it when there are no cars nearby, than do wave it. (Okay, that might be overstating it a little, but there I see S/C and stationary yellow a lot).
I've been known to downgrade mine to a light flap, but never stationary!

Noting the discussion of waving two flags one-handed, the last time I went to Donington you needed two hands for one flag. I have a permanently damaged thumb ligament to prove it.
Old 13 Mar 2014, 16:52 (Ref:3378257)   #302
Mark Noble
Racer

England
Warrington
Mark Noble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
Who is going to be the first to stop the stewards and tell them he's solo flagging
and doesn't feel capable or happy about doing so?
In a few weeks time we will wonder what all the fuss was about. In some situations, I know not all, bodies carrying out other duties would, I'm sure, be able to wave a second flag for a short while. We are a team after all!
Old 13 Mar 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3378270)   #303
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
Lies, damned lies and statistics...

but on the other hand....

But don't care.
Old 13 Mar 2014, 17:46 (Ref:3378274)   #304
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
But that assumes a "Normal" distribution. Possibly the most abused statistical concept - EVER!

Jim
Almost on the level of 'A generous lunch break has been timetabled for the meeting'
Old 13 Mar 2014, 17:50 (Ref:3378279)   #305
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by exflagman View Post
Almost on the level of 'A generous lunch break has been timetabled for the meeting'
"Timetabled" being the operative word

But don't care.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 07:44 (Ref:3378482)   #306
katrina.kershaw.7
Racer

katrina.kershaw.7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lunch who?
Old 14 Mar 2014, 08:43 (Ref:3378502)   #307
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do we get the prize for going the greatest distance off-topic?

The thread was about proposed changes which are no longer proposed but fact. We've gone into the 'science' of statistics and now that's evolved into lunch breaks.

Cool...
Old 14 Mar 2014, 10:27 (Ref:3378541)   #308
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Strikes me we should have a rule akin to those derived from Godwin's Law...

If a thread spins off-topic, the first mention of lunch breaks means that the thread is dead - and whoever mentioned it lost the argument
Old 14 Mar 2014, 12:25 (Ref:3378564)   #309
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Strikes me we should have a rule akin to those derived from Godwin's Law...

If a thread spins off-topic, the first mention of lunch breaks means that the thread is dead - and whoever mentioned it lost the argument
And hereafter, it shall be known as "Greem's law!"
Old 14 Mar 2014, 13:40 (Ref:3378590)   #310
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Do we get the prize for going the greatest distance off-topic?
You haven't visited the Australian section of the forum, I assume.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 00:34 (Ref:3379883)   #311
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clamps

Quote:
You can hold two flags in one hand. It's the waving that's the tricky bit.

In view of the fact that a stationary yellow no longer exists, I would have thought any driver seeing two "slow moving" yellows would get the gist of the message.
What you could do is have snap-to fit clamps screwed to the flap pole....which even the smallest of hands could manipulate....

That way, a single handed Flag Point would have some chance of waving double Yellows (say) whilst eating a bacon and egg sarnie with the other...

http://nesbetminiatures.blogspot.com...int-racks.html
Old 16 Mar 2014, 09:14 (Ref:3380434)   #312
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes that's it, that's what we need a "flap pole" on every post. Get it motorised and able to select either one or two things to flap. No more aching arms .

Steve
Old 16 Mar 2014, 09:18 (Ref:3380435)   #313
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstick View Post
Yes that's it, that's what we need a "flap pole" on every post. Get it motorised and able to select either one or two things to flap. No more aching arms .

Steve
Yup - they could be called lights.

Jim
Old 22 Mar 2014, 15:45 (Ref:3383038)   #314
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
I've also updated www.FlagMarshal.com accordingly.
I've just noticed that the Flag Marshal Website still quotes blue book as stationary yellow and green, on the Hazard Board page.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 02:53 (Ref:3384442)   #315
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not go the whole hog and mete out penalties as well with Laser Beams! :-)
Old 26 Mar 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3384552)   #316
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could we have the option of using photon torpedoes for repeat offenders ?
Old 26 Mar 2014, 12:36 (Ref:3384591)   #317
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only if you've got a working version of them, Steve.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 15:07 (Ref:3384656)   #318
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I've been known to downgrade mine to a light flap, but never stationary!
+1 from the startline flag-point

Quote:
Noting the discussion of waving two flags one-handed, the last time I went to Donington you needed two hands for one flag.
I agree, the Donington flags do appear to be a little on the large size, more suitable to an actual flag-pole

But don't care.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 16:32 (Ref:3384691)   #319
Marshal Greybeard
Rookie

England
Raunds
Marshal Greybeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by exflagman View Post
Just to throw a quick thought into the mix - in the given situation, with the new rules you may have to also consider whether or not the single waved yellow is really a just single waved or maybe a lone flag marshal trying to wave one flag and pick up a second or possible even one who recognises that they cannot wave two flags at once so is just going to wave one so it can be seen properly rather than attempt two and end up with neither being particularly visible.
I noticed at the Aussie GP a stationary Oil/Slippery Surface etc flag was shown on several occasions.

Does this mean that although drivers can't see a flag that tells them to slow down, but they have no problem spotting one that suggests it might be a damn good idea!
Old 29 Mar 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3386218)   #320
Don`t mention the war!
Rookie

Wales
swansea
Don`t mention the war! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got a few questions for the more experienced flaggies on here:

1. according to the updated MSA rules, stationary flags have been dropped because the drivers find them hard to see; does this include stationary blues and stationary whites?

2. when the cars are gridding up at the end of the parade lap, the last marshals post displays a waved yellow, and the previous post a stationary one; has this stationary yellow been dropped?

3. what`s the BEST way to wave double yellows? (apart from with your arms)
Old 29 Mar 2014, 20:48 (Ref:3386225)   #321
drewchef
Rookie

England
Huddersfield
drewchef should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don`t mention the war! View Post

1. according to the updated MSA rules, stationary flags have been dropped because the drivers find them hard to see; does this include stationary blues and stationary whites?

2. when the cars are gridding up at the end of the parade lap, the last marshals post displays a waved yellow, and the previous post a stationary one; has this stationary yellow been dropped?

I'm afraid that at Oulton today I saw a double waved yellow where both flags were being waved up and down simultaneously which just gave the impression of a single waved.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 21:08 (Ref:3386230)   #322
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No it applies only to mandatory/instruction flags (yellow/red/green) not to advisory flags.(blue/white/stripey)
Quote:
Not at Oulton today. Like all other yellows stationary becomes single waved, waved becomes double waved.

Quote:
Can't help you there cus I haven't had chance to try it yet.

OTOH I'm not all that experienced so they're all just my best guesses
- Steve
Old 29 Mar 2014, 21:45 (Ref:3386246)   #323
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've not been out yet this year to test the new rules but I've previously waved two yellows, one in each hand. To achieve maximum visibility I kept one low and the other high and tried to keep their movements different.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 00:09 (Ref:3386289)   #324
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Sorry but Questions 1 and 2 shouldn't need an "experienced flaggie" to answer them .....

The regulation changes are pretty simple to understand .... how successfully they can be carried out on the day might be more of a challenge depending on a number of factors covered previously in this and other discussions

However, I am glad that the questions were asked as it has given an opportunity to address one of the main misunderstandings that many people still seem to have regarding the changes.

Dave
Old 30 Mar 2014, 12:48 (Ref:3386575)   #325
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Let someone else do it...