Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Dec 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3485806)   #126
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If anything it's going to be based more on Button since he's had input on next year's car whereas Alonso hasn't.
Old 17 Dec 2014, 19:27 (Ref:3485829)   #127
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it depends on how soon they knew Alonso was coming over and mid season, based on the public criticisms he received from Ron, it didnt sound like Button was going to be retained at all.

given that if Button left and stayed in F1 he would have gone to a team with a rival engine so there is the possibility that they didnt let him near the 2015 stuff at all. thats just speculation on my part of course

in all likelihood though i would imagine the priority rested in matching the chassis to the new engine as opposed to matching to any one driver.
Old 17 Dec 2014, 20:40 (Ref:3485848)   #128
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would say the chassis will be more to Button's taste as he has been there for a number of seasons and his likes will be in the minds of the design team even without them thinking about it.
Old 17 Dec 2014, 20:59 (Ref:3485857)   #129
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought I'd put my opinion on it.

The most genuine bloke in F1 partners the most devious man in recent years at a team headed by a man who wants to recover lost glory as soon as is possible - too soon.

Will Button's niceness succumb to Alonso's incredible fearlessness?

If Button can retain his form from the end of 2014, there's no doubting Alonso will have trouble keeping JB behind him. With the right car a championship 1-2, in either order, is possible.

I'm prepared for Alonso to wipe the floor with JB (although I doubt it will happen) but am also prepared for the opposite. JB is vastly underrated as a driver - he just does not make mistakes and a by far the best driver in the rain. His drive at Suzuka 2014 was nothing short of heroic, as was 2012 Brazil, 2011 Canada, etc, so for people to say it is an uninspiring choice is ludicrous. Yes KM may have a better future but that is the future not the present. It also makes sense from a marketing point of view as JB has worked with both for many years in the past and could act as a very important bridge this season.

Alonso and Hamilton have been regarded as the best 2 drivers on the grid for the last few years. JB outscored Hamilton over 3 years together (and it happened, I don't care how, it happened, in the same way Hamilton outscored Alonso as a rookie, and that Hulkenberg led 35 laps at Sao Paolo in 2012. It happened). He's not going to be written off easily.

Plus, he cares, unlike Kimi

2015 will be a fun one...
Old 17 Dec 2014, 23:24 (Ref:3485907)   #130
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
is it not a little bit too far down the design process to be defining how the car is going to handle when that can be based on decisions that happen very early on?
Correct Bella, remember the problems Schumacher had with the Merc's handling when he arrived at the team, and they just couldn't change it for the first year. I don't think they ever got the balance Schumacher liked because of the rules they are stuck with, unresponsive understeering boat.

Last edited by wnut; 17 Dec 2014 at 23:38.
Old 17 Dec 2014, 23:32 (Ref:3485911)   #131
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't think Alonso is very devious. I think he's clumsy and has a tendency to act out impulsively at critical moments out of the car. Whenever he tries to play politics he bungles it. He had high ideas about being picked up by Merc and RBR. As it was, he's lucky to be at Mclaren at all. He could've well been sitting out next year if circumstances had of been just a little different - and even landing at Mclaren he still could wind up with mud on his face. There's no doubting the man's high talent but his career has been badly marred by off-track misjudgements of various sorts.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 00:16 (Ref:3485920)   #132
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I don't think Alonso is very devious. I think he's clumsy and has a tendency to act out impulsively at critical moments out of the car. Whenever he tries to play politics he bungles it. He had high ideas about being picked up by Merc and RBR. As it was, he's lucky to be at Mclaren at all. He could've well been sitting out next year if circumstances had of been just a little different - and even landing at Mclaren he still could wind up with mud on his face. There's no doubting the man's high talent but his career has been badly marred by off-track misjudgements of various sorts.
Does Briatore still manage him?
He managed Webber during his stint at Red Bull and had done so since his Minardi days. Briatore managed them both so he's probably done well out it financially too, not that the man actually needs a lot.....
Old 18 Dec 2014, 00:24 (Ref:3485923)   #133
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Does Briatore still manage him?
He managed Webber during his stint at Red Bull and had done so since his Minardi days. Briatore managed them both so he's probably done well out it financially too, not that the man actually needs a lot.....
I don't know if he's still formally his manager but he has acted as Alonso's intermediary this year.
Old 18 Dec 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3486012)   #134
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
alonso has someone else too, wasn't there a load of flapping earlier in the year because alonso's manager was seen somewhere (at red bull in the paddock?), when in fact he's also carlos sainz jnr's manager too? or am i thinking of someone else?
Old 19 Dec 2014, 06:38 (Ref:3486342)   #135
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Correct Bella, remember the problems Schumacher had with the Merc's handling when he arrived at the team, and they just couldn't change it for the first year. I don't think they ever got the balance Schumacher liked because of the rules they are stuck with, unresponsive understeering boat.
I'm not sure Alonso will have many problems even if the car isn't bespoke for him.

He's more than capable of finding time in any car. He will find a set ip that works for him.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 22:14 (Ref:3486548)   #136
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont think many people in the paddock would argue againt the view that Alonso can be a pain in the arse. In 05, when he was on the verge of winning the championship and flying high, he launched an attack on the team saying that they hadn't supported him etc, which Pat Symonds said took the gloss off their title massively. I think in a respect that's even worse than 2007 albeit lesser known. He's not a nice guy. He rubs people up the wrong way, he's massively egotistical (even for an F1 driver) and not a team player. He gets hired because despite this, he's bloody brilliant. And that intensity is probably a big part of his success.

I think Button will run him close, but expect Fernando to beat him, being honest.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 22:22 (Ref:3486554)   #137
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m355y View Post
I dont think many people in the paddock would argue againt the view that Alonso can be a pain in the arse. In 05, when he was on the verge of winning the championship and flying high, he launched an attack on the team saying that they hadn't supported him etc, which Pat Symonds said took the gloss off their title massively. I think in a respect that's even worse than 2007 albeit lesser known. He's not a nice guy. He rubs people up the wrong way, he's massively egotistical (even for an F1 driver) and not a team player. He gets hired because despite this, he's bloody brilliant. And that intensity is probably a big part of his success.

I think Button will run him close, but expect Fernando to beat him, being honest.
I'm not doubting the accuracy of what you are saying but I wonder if we could see a few good podium results and an occasional win, but I'd be amused if it was Button who did the winning.
Old 20 Dec 2014, 01:16 (Ref:3486599)   #138
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m355y View Post

Agreed, I would not employ Alonso as a driver due to his personality faults!

Go Jenson!
Old 21 Dec 2014, 07:05 (Ref:3486828)   #139
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso's personality issues definitely faded after his year at McLaren when he grew up a bit. And both Renault and McLaren, whom he had handbag moments with, welcomed him back with open arms. He can't be that toxic personality wise
Old 21 Dec 2014, 08:02 (Ref:3486834)   #140
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Alonso's personality issues definitely faded after his year at McLaren when he grew up a bit. And both Renault and McLaren, whom he had handbag moments with, welcomed him back with open arms. He can't be that toxic personality wise
Absolutely... and based on what he's done in those Ferrari you would just have to sign him if there was any chance at all wouldn't you?

Merc never said they don't want him, with their package advantage they just didn't need him!

Red bull make their own strange decisions on drivers as we know. I think Horner wod get found out quite quickly with Alonso in board as well.
Old 21 Dec 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3486849)   #141
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
If things get political and the storm moves within his proximity, he'll have problems handling that. He never really renounced that trait. The Ferrari exit bears that out - even though bailing on them was ultimately smart, it was all still quite messy.

If his team gives him a supportive space though; he'll deliver.
Old 23 Dec 2014, 00:17 (Ref:3487274)   #142
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Red bull make their own strange decisions on drivers as we know. I think Horner wod get found out quite quickly with Alonso in board as well.
This is an interesting statement Chunty, care to elaborate ?
Old 24 Dec 2014, 08:24 (Ref:3487609)   #143
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
This is an interesting statement Chunty, care to elaborate ?
Well we all know about the hiring and firing of talent all the way to F1. Facts are that Vettel, Ricciardo have bern successful but other's have been cast aside and unless they have been lucky enough to find alternative backing haven't been able to 'get their own back' by proving them wrong in another team...

Re Horner: isn't he just a spokesman for the team in reality? What real authority does he actually have?

An Alonso, Hamilton or Raikkonen (any top driver who is outside the Red Bull straitjacket) would cause him significant headaches that I'm not convinced he's equipped to deal with which is why none of them have been signed in recent years.

I accept that some will scoff at some of this but to me it's obvious...
Old 24 Dec 2014, 09:57 (Ref:3487630)   #144
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Agreed, I would not employ Alonso as a driver due to his personality faults!

Go Jenson!
Well, we all have personality faults, I guess, and in Alonso's case can't help feeling that has been exaggerated by the British press. Not sure that Alonso's are any worse than some of the great racers in the past, and better than some. I am no expert but if I was asked to select two current drivers to make up an F1 team, I'd struggle not to pick these two!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!