Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 12 Dec 2003, 19:05 (Ref:810477)   #1
Hamish Weir
Rookie

Hamish Weir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats Needed?

Im looking at buying a Mygale SJ02 Formula Ford car to run in the SFFC or the 750 Championship. What I dont know is what do I need to get it going? The car im looking at is a rolling chassis only. What do I need to add to the car?

Once ive built it dose anybody know of some one who can run the car for me? Obviously I need to pay for that. How mucjh though?
Old 13 Dec 2003, 00:01 (Ref:810648)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Check the eligibility first - I think 750MC might be pre-99 (or at least was in the past). Not sure of the cut-off date for SFFC, 2002 might squeeze in next year.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 10:15 (Ref:810841)   #3
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess you will need at least an engine and gearbox. The person you buy from can probably advise best. You might find it easier to start with a complete - ready to race - car.
Also, try looking at the Opal Telecom series which might be nearer for you from Glasgow - www.brsccnw.com
Old 13 Dec 2003, 10:47 (Ref:810854)   #4
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeM
Also, try looking at the Opal Telecom series which might be nearer for you from Glasgow - www.brsccnw.com
Hamish,
I take it you are wanting to run in FF1800 [Zetec]. If so, it won't be SFFC in 2004.
All club FF is being co-ordinated by Steve Burns at the BRSCC and as well as the four regional FF1600 series, the Zetecs will be just one series next year [there was north and south last year]. steve@brscc.co.uk
It sounds like you are just starting out, so maybe FF1600 would be a better starting point on your learning curve. MikeM is right, the NW FF1600 would be closer for you and buying a complete car would be a better first step. Race Hire, Race Preparation and running yourself is covered on brsccnw.com
Have a word with the Scottish Motor Racing Club [SMRC] they run Zetec north of the border. They could point you at Scottish based drivers, or teams. A good name to ask them for his contact details would be Neil Fisher. Neil has done both NW FF1600 and he did Zetec this year. He is based in Glasgow.
Good luck and good racing, whatever you end up doing.
diz
Old 13 Dec 2003, 13:37 (Ref:810931)   #5
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are thinking of running in the NW FF1600 championship you should at least think about buying a complete car. It should be a lot cheaper and you would find out whether you enjoy racing and then can take a view about the following year. I would also suggest buying a car with as many spares as possible, eg nose cones, wishbones, gear ratios etc. It will make repairs, which are almost inevitable a great deal cheaper. Have a look at the www.barc.net website as they tend to have some decent cars for sale.
Good luck
Old 15 Dec 2003, 10:59 (Ref:812063)   #6
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamish
Firstly don;t buy an 02 Mygale (if you want I will PM the reasons why) - a 00/01 Mygale or Van Diemen are much much better cars. Also buy the car complete - to include the logger and the dampers (if you are buying a Mygale the Quantums are a good start). Also, try to get as many spares as possible (wishbones, side pods lower/upper, nose cone). I am running a RF03 in either zetec or kent - unsure which at the moment!

In the SFFC PA Motorsport carry a fair few V-D spares as do Lindfield for Mysgale - neither of them carry Mygale 02 spares.

Next year's zetec series includes Croft and Oulton - plus you can also race in the National series scholarship class. Cars are limited to pre 2004 and pre 99 (class B)...there is a good mix of young wannabies and guys in their 30s who race purely for fun.

Any advice (I have spent two years in SFFC now) please PM me...

Jeremy
Old 15 Dec 2003, 17:33 (Ref:812339)   #7
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW Folks, Ford want us to refer to Zetec as FF1800
Old 17 Dec 2003, 20:35 (Ref:814467)   #8
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamish

If you buy a 3 year old FF Zetec you will also be able to run it in Monoposto's 1800cc Class. There are rounds at Oulton and double headers at Croft and Anglesea, if you want to stick to Northern rounds.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 22:28 (Ref:814598)   #9
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
Andy97, do you know the Monoposto calendar for next season ? If so can you enlighten me, as I am trying to sort out hols for next year without clashing with any rounds. Obviously have not told my wife and daughters that this is the real reason why we cannot yet arrange the promised trip to the states. As you can imagine I really do not think under such intensive cross examination that I really will be able to prevaricate for much longer.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 19:34 (Ref:815468)   #10
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, Kickstart, the calendar is not out yet and I'm afraid that I cannot remember when it was published last year either. However, I suspect that all clubs are suffering from the messing about that has been going on with the British GP and Moto GP dates. All calendars will be late.

Hamish, I have noticed that no one has answered your other questions about what is needed to get going. At the risk of stating the obvious, I started racing, no, competing, no, taking part last year and managed OK with just a quick lift jack, slave battery, spare wheels, some pretty basic tools, spare fuel can and a spare nose cone!! later on I bought an awning and one or two spares but the indispensible thing was someone to help me. 3 of us usually share the cost of a days labour for someone who knows what he's doing - the deal being that he who needs the help most gets it whilst the other 2 will be given the advice that's required to help ourselves if there is not enough time for everyone to get a helping hand. A days labour usually costs about £150 between us, plus expenses. Good value I reckon and there have been times when I probably would not have raced at all if I had been left to my own devices after relatively minor incidents/ breakages. I am also fortunate that my brother in law also helps out with loading/unloading from the trailer, towing and general dogsbodying/sounding board etc. Ask about at what ever series you decide to enter, there will always be someone who offers a similar service and maybe 2 or 3 of you can get together to share the cost.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 19:43 (Ref:815474)   #11
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
Andy97,do i suspect that you are part of the unstoppable Dermot's barmy army ?
Old 21 Dec 2003, 10:19 (Ref:817321)   #12
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Kickstart, guilty although I don't do that many races. I don't know about unstoppable though. Barmy yes, but at the slow speed I run at, I have no trouble stopping.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 21:55 (Ref:838487)   #13
Barry Sime
Rookie

Barry Sime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamish,
ive pmd you with some info for you.

We are running cars in this years CLio championship, but have had experience in running kents, zetecs and renault amongst other cars so if you want some advice from just along the road...