Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 11 Apr 2000, 02:14 (Ref:7208)   #1
MR_MRee
Rookie

MR_MRee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard that Dr.Jerry Punch is negotiating with Fox to possibily partner with Darrell Waltrip in the booth next season.He has four years left on his contract with ESPN but they have granted him permission to talk to Fox.

Nothing is set in concrete as Punch has said he is only interested if the move would put him in the broadcast booth.If Fox's offer is for him to continue as a pit reporter he will probably remain at ESPN.

Punch is a twenty year veteran broadcaster who in my opinion would make a great play by play man.He is respected by the fans and more importantly he has the trust of the drivers and their teams.He also loves the sport and it shows when he covers a race.
Old 11 Apr 2000, 23:45 (Ref:7209)   #2
Total Racing
Rookie

Total Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's to hoping Dr. Jerry makes the move. He's one of the top broadcast guys in my opinion.
Old 13 Apr 2000, 19:48 (Ref:7210)   #3
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glad to see he is going to hook up with somebody. I wish he would continue working as a pit reporter because he set the standard in that area as far as I am concerned.
Old 13 Apr 2000, 23:32 (Ref:7211)   #4
Total Racing
Rookie

Total Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Chris Economaki might have set the standard for pit reporting. Remember, when he was doing races in the 60s, 70s and 80s, he was actually ON PIT ROAD doing his reporting. And back then the cars didn't have a speed limit when coming in or going out. Chris E. definitely set the standard. Punch fills his shoes quite well, though.
Old 17 Apr 2000, 03:39 (Ref:7212)   #5
indyracefan
Rookie

indyracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Punch has done a great job in pits through the years both Indy-car & NASCAR as he's very good at explaining technical matters in 'plain English'. He's also done a good job in the booth for NBS races and Fox would be foolish to not give it to him. I believe Waltrip would be more tolerable after he settled into it, much like Buddy Baker who was terrible when he started(though he's not much better now!).
Old 17 Apr 2000, 04:17 (Ref:7213)   #6
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I like Dr. Jerry as a play by play guy, he just belongs in the pits. That's the way it has always been; it just doesn't seem right him doing wc telecasts in the booth. Besides, I'm sure he will be greatly missed down there; I bet he's every driver's favorite, thanks in no small part to the medical assiatance he has given a few of them.

Mike Joy currently does the call for F1 races on FOX Sports Net; it would make sense, since he does Nascar for CBS and sometimes TNN, for him to call the Cup races for Fox.

Looks like Bestwick, with his ALMS coverage on NBC, has that job nailed down, meaning Eli will probably be the lead on MRN. Looks like Jenskins is satying with ABC for irl coverage (note how he was in Phoenix for the irl races, leaving Dr. Jerry to call the Cup race in Darlington)
Old 17 Apr 2000, 04:38 (Ref:7214)   #7
indyracefan
Rookie

>>"Looks like Jenskins is satying with ABC for irl coverage (note how he was in Phoenix for the irl races, leaving Dr. Jerry to call the Cup race in Darlington)"<<

Bob Jenkins is the booth announcer on ABC/ESPN for 'all' Indy Racing events now.....which ABC/ESPN has a 5 year contract though I'm not sure on Jenkins' staus. With Jenkins being originally from Indy as well as his love for IMS & the Indy 500.....I kinda believe he'll be in the booth for all of those 5 years.
Old 17 Apr 2000, 04:44 (Ref:7215)   #8
indyracefan
Rookie

Heeltoe most of what you stated seems to make sense and probably will be real close. though I disagree about Punch & the booth....as I felt anyway that he did a decent job there. I agree though he would be hard to replace and would be missed in the pits, and you're also correct about him being a driver favorite. A guy that I believe is close to following in Punch's footsteps is Bill Weber....what's his status for next year??
Old 17 Apr 2000, 15:48 (Ref:7216)   #9
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber is also a great guy, I miss his reports on RPM (now Matt Yocum files all the trackside reports). Webber, I'd say, is gone from ESPN. He's only been there since 95, and he's never filled in for any other form of racing on ABC/ESPN (vs Punch who has done the irl 500 and Kernan who has done some CART). Wherever Pucnh ends up, I hope Webber goes the same; they are at great team. Kernan also blends well with them; those 3 have a great chemistry, which is due, in no small part I guess, to them being together for so long.