Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 11 Mar 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1249850)   #1
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moving on where?

Realisticly where do you want to go to after karts? and when?
I'm hoping to do either some BRDC single seaters or more probably the Ginetta series. I hope to do this in the 2007 season after doing some test late into 2006.

What about you.
Old 12 Mar 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1250438)   #2
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should be doing Formula BMW with Mackie motorsports in 2006. Failing that I'll be doing Euroboss with ZigZag racing. I'll be testing the Zigzag Benetton a few times this summer & possibly racing it this year, but the main project remains FBMW
Old 12 Mar 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1250453)   #3
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the moment i don't seem to be going anywhere out of karts with our money! So probably 2005 and possibly 2006 staying in karts. Really want to try and get the budget for Formula BMW, if possible for 2006, if not then 2007 and try and get some Global GT races at the end of this year, but again, it's all money, and while i've got exams i don't have the time to dedicate myself to getting sponsors
Old 12 Mar 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1250464)   #4
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
yeah thats the problem for us young racers. Money/Sponsorship. FBMW is way to much for me at the current state (100k+).
Old 12 Mar 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1250474)   #5
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Clios would be cheaper and i'd jump at the chance of racing them
Old 13 Mar 2005, 14:14 (Ref:1250905)   #6
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Thankfully for me my newly established business is getting off the ground, so money's starting to come in at a faster rate daily & I'm in negotiations with a few companies rearding sponsorship so I should be sorted for '06 w/regards to money.

Clio teams stil charge about 25k to run you for a year in the UK, which is still quite a bit of money TBH.

There are a couple of guys around ten tenths who run cars in various forms of motorsport, best thing to do is get in contact with them.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1250908)   #7
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
What department is your business in Alex? Is it ICT or something different?
Old 13 Mar 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1250911)   #8
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Origional ladies jewelry
Old 13 Mar 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1250938)   #9
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
What a shop or ebay like me?
Old 13 Mar 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1250947)   #10
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
You making money via ebay Billy?
Old 13 Mar 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1250948)   #11
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
Enough
Old 13 Mar 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1251056)   #12
hmmmm
Rookie

hmmmm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You doing ICC or anything this year Alex? If i was you i would be doing formula A this year to get used to fast close racing. I thought you said that you wasn't keen on racing with full grids of thirty or so karts, cause thats how many BMWs there are. You at Struby this weekend
Old 13 Mar 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1251091)   #13
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Bit of Ebay, bit of selling from home. Should be doing online selling soon

I'm doing ICC yeah, just odd meetings though: some NKF, Long Circuit & Clubs. Was going to do stars, but had a change of mind.

To be honest with you I'm finding the 125 racing as close as I ever found any ICA/FA meetings. A lot of the guys are ex 100 racers as well, so it's kind of like racing in FA but with gears.

I don't remember saying that I certainly don't think that now anyway, the more the merrier.

Yeah I'm taking the 125 to Strubby.. you there? Look out for me #12..
Old 14 Mar 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1251868)   #14
hmmmm
Rookie

hmmmm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shame your not doing 100s or max would have been good to race against you. im sure we could have had some very close racing. where else are you racing you 125 apart from struby, East Kirkby?
Old 14 Mar 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1251979)   #15
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Well I have still got the 100.. & will probably take it to Strubby a few times this year, so the possibility is there.

I'm racing at Fulbeck & Darley Moor club champs with it as well and will do some NKF races, at Rowrah, Shennington, etc.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 01:11 (Ref:1252108)   #16
Nigel Wilson
Rookie

England
Washington
Nigel Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you guy's for real, only the very talented or very rich get to race FBMW or BOSS, I don't see how selling a few items of jewelry will fund a top line seasons racing and looking at your lap times at the last Fulbeck meeting I doubt you have the skills, you weren't even at the 1st round of NKF to try and improve.
Hone your skills in karting by racing against the best in your chosen class, and get some half decent results before making improbable claims of future drives.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1252315)   #17
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Wilson
Are you guy's for real, only the very talented or very rich get to race FBMW or BOSS, I don't see how selling a few items of jewelry will fund a top line seasons racing and looking at your lap times at the last Fulbeck meeting I doubt you have the skills, you weren't even at the 1st round of NKF to try and improve.
Hone your skills in karting by racing against the best in your chosen class, and get some half decent results before making improbable claims of future drives.

Yes, Fulbeck was certainly a disaster with regards to results, but I did learn a lot, and I'm sure that now I can take big chunks out of my times from last month.
I'd like to add to that list (very talented or very rich) the well connected, and correct you on saying 'a few bits.' Hundreds is more a realistic figure, and with individual profits up to a couple of thousand pounds, it looks oh so rosy.
2005 is, for me, a year of leaning. Just watch this space.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1252647)   #18
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Wilson
Please Nigel don't throw assumptions at people who you have not seen racing. Ok so you may have seen one or two but not the others therefore a few members on here may have what it takes. After all, look at your signature
Old 15 Mar 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1252773)   #19
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
I know people who are slow in karts and fast in cars and vica-versa. People who have very minimal karting experience can still cut in cars. I dont think Alex was saying that he is going to fund his FBMW season on his business but it will help him in the long run.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1282472)   #20
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
Been looking at the MAX5 challenge, looks quite good I have emailed the championship co-ordinator but have yet to get a reply. The Clubmans 1800 Zetec FFord series looks Ok but maybe a bit pricey.

Do you need an MSA lincense to do a test?
Old 19 Apr 2005, 21:28 (Ref:1282524)   #21
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Not an un-official test, open test and your ok. Whats Max5?
Old 20 Apr 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1282878)   #22
dasc04
Rookie

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dasc04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To test at any MSA circuit in the ukwill need at least a National B Race licence (different to Kart NatA). Therefore you must do your ARDS test. This is basically every circuit in the country. Max5 i don't think have official and unofficial tests as its only a club championship. Competitors can test when they want.

As to Nigel Wilsons comments, I have to disagree. It doesn't matter whether your talented or not. Money is the only thing that matters. A season in FBMW will cost in excess of £120,000, FRenault £150000 and clios £30-40 000. Motorsport is very expensive and maybe you guys need to look into it more closely before saying what you will be doing.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1282914)   #23
davec
Racer

United Kingdom
davec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As most of you are looking at racing cars in a few years I would advice Club Zetecs or MSV 1600 as the most cost effective start. like most of you have said the 1st year is a learning one, so why spend £150000 when you can learn just as much with the right team for £20000 or less. if you are able to gave some good results then sponsors will love it, they will get more coverage from winning a club race than finishing last in a national one.

Dave
Old 20 Apr 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1282947)   #24
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
I'm still waiting on this one. I'm not sure what to do with regards to my next move.

I want to be racing cars by next year, but not wasting money. Hence I'm trying to get as many tests in as possible this year. My dad's got a lot of contacts so arranging cheap & even free tests is not a problem, just a season's racing is..

Last edited by Alex Hodgkinson; 20 Apr 2005 at 12:32.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1283001)   #25
dasc04
Rookie

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dasc04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about the New BARC FRenault Championship? Club class. There are plenty of Pre 2000 cars about. Prize money for top 5 at every race. Garages at every race where there are garages. Very professionally run (run by Renaultsport UK) Excellent champioship for this year and the future. A car can be brought for less than £9000 and without accidents year costs can be £6000 upwards. A great championship to learn racecraft in cars that have slicks and wings.

If you have a bigger budget but still not in the £100 000's then maybe as season in the FR 2000 class. Teams like Falcon and Mark Burdett are running guys from £50000 upwards. OK its still a lot of money to some but a year in that before a jump to the TOCA championship will give you a great headstart and save ££££'s.