Old 26 May 2011, 23:13 (Ref:2886473)   #1
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa 24 hours 2011

Hi All,

I know we usually have quite a few threads on this type of thing but I've had a quick look through some of the previous years threads and I just had a couple of more specific questions

We are travelling by Eurostar to Brussels, then plan to take another train to verviers then on to spa by bus. We planned to go friday to monday, but having heard they qualiy/practice thursday night, would you recommend arriving mid thursday?

My biggest query however is with the camping. Are there designated camping areas within the track so we can just walk back and forth when we fancy it from thursday thru monday? If so does anyone know how much it costs roughly, and does it need to be booked in advance?

Sorry for all the questions! Will be our first time at Spa so we cant wait
Any additional info of any kind greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Liam
Old 27 May 2011, 19:45 (Ref:2886852)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
as far as i remember (this was a couple of years ago now) the camping areas are outside of the circuit. i'm not sure if they're run by the circuit, and in which case where they are. i know there's one or two privately run ones in spa but they're small scale and not very good. if it's dry, your best bet is to take a sleeping bag and catch a nap up on the bank at pouhon

it's not like le mans. it's much more civilised!
Old 27 May 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2886859)   #3
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Firstly, be careful in Brussels, some friends of mine had their passports nicked there whilst transferring last week. The local Police had 4 similar incidents in the hour that they were there reporting their problems.

Spa 24 is fab. I wouldn't worry too much about being there for Thursday, especially if you don't have transport.

Camping, we always used to Camp in Eau Rouge Camping which is a commercial site near the karting entrance to the circuit - just off the Old circuit at Stavelot corner. It has showers, loos, a bar and sells chips and pain au chocolate. It is though about an hours walk to Eau Rouge (the corner).

Most circuit camping is just glorified car parks AFAIK. There is a field at Les Combes which is a lovely position but I don't think that there are any facilities there so unless you're taking a portaloo with you by train you might have problems! It's pretty rough and ready.

There are temp sites behind a couple of houses and hotels in Francorchamp, I'm not sure what they have in the way of facilities. Check out their website but there weren't any Le Mans style campsites with facilities when I last checked.
Old 27 May 2011, 20:03 (Ref:2886866)   #4
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We always used to stay in Camping Eau Rouge as well. Can't fault it really, has hot showers etc. The one at Les Combes is (or was) just a field!
Old 28 May 2011, 22:21 (Ref:2887263)   #5
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Hmmm. 10 Euro to camp right outside the main circuit entrance. Lots of folks there. I will be on the right as you come in, with a gazebo, and hopefully a decent campfire. Had a whale of a time there at LMS in freezing temps last year.
Alternatively, the Racing Hotel, 5 minutes from the Eau Rouge entry has camping at the back. Decent showers, etc. I was there for LMS. No idea on price, sorry, I didn't pay for it.
There are a LOT of folk take a pop up disposable tent into the circuit, and set up camp inside, for the weekend.

Relax, and enjoy, it's a fabulous place.
Old 29 May 2011, 22:41 (Ref:2887842)   #6
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Thanks all for your replies We will look into all of these options.

We are leaning towards the pop up tent within the circuit idea, but we will see!

Thanks again
Liam
Old 30 May 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2888414)   #7
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Just thought, does anyone know if/what the suppport races are to the 24hr?

Might be me not reading things properly but I havent seen any info on any support races?

Thanks
Liam
Old 30 May 2011, 22:14 (Ref:2888435)   #8
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
British F3 is one.
Old 30 May 2011, 22:33 (Ref:2888440)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do FIA GT1 still have their dual sprint races over the Spa 24H weekend?
Old 31 May 2011, 11:26 (Ref:2888663)   #10
vortex00
Rookie

vortex00 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Support races: BF3, F4 and a few Lambo's...real crap for for a 4 days event! Its very quit about the timing/support races...so maybe they have another support race in mind??? No GT1 this year...

Pop up your tents on the grass along the track at Stavelot, so you dont miss a thing. (before the tunnel entrance Blanchimont, go right up the steep hill...and you are in...great trackviews. From your tent you view over Stavelot Corner, or you can walk along the track to Fagnes, Pif Paf, Double Gauche all the way to Speakers Corner).
There are more natural campers from all nationalities, and its very cosy overthere... Thursday and friday admission is free. You can have a decent meal for a reasonable price at the kart-track which is a 5 minutes walk. (see Spa map). For a shower on thursday/friday you can walk to the paddock. The showers are very proper!!!

Try to carry a little foldable bike (i dont know the british term for it). So one of you is mobile, and is able to bike for Stavelot or the paddock for food/water/beer etc. Should be a great adventure for you, and indeed: sooo relaxing!!

If you want a campsite with shower/loo close to the track: Racing Hotel near the entrance La Source. But on-track is absolute the best for the 24H!!! (and its free....)
Old 31 May 2011, 22:13 (Ref:2889071)   #11
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Thanks for all the information, stavelot is sounding like a good spot to set up camp! We may also give the kart track ago if it happens to be open! Train tickets all also booked now which is good.

Also does Anyone know if we can camp inside the track sunday night through to monday aswell?? If not we'll book into one of the local campsites/hotels!

Thanks again for all your help, cant wait until that weekend now!

Liam
Old 31 May 2011, 22:40 (Ref:2889082)   #12
vortex00
Rookie

vortex00 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can stay@Stavelot sunday night, no problem! The kart-track is open during the whole weekend and you can give it a go in a rental kart. Big fun: on friday evening, some of the 24H drivers are also having a gig in the karts!!

I m sure there s a bus going from Spa to Stavelot, maybe till the circuit entrance Blanchimont. Ask around, mayby someone give you a lift...

We (Dutchies from Scheivlak.nl) are also there camping @ Stavelot again. Dont hestitate to contact us there, if you need something or have problems....Its a really a great spot, and for us always the highlight of the year!!
Be aware it can be pretty cold at night, so take a warm jacket and a knife to cut wood in the forest for a campfire....
Old 16 Jun 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2900537)   #13
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those who are planning to go to Spa: as of tomorrow June 17 (until September 7) there are going to be MAJOR roadworks at Brussels.
The Vilvoorde bridge on the motorway will be only two narrow lanes one way and 3 very narrow lanes the other way.

Add at least 1 hour to your travelling times when you are travelling at day time hours. Peak time will be even worse.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 23:04 (Ref:2900637)   #14
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
why go via Brussels? nothing wrong with Lille - Charleroi .
Old 17 Jun 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2901131)   #15
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V View Post
For those who are planning to go to Spa: as of tomorrow June 17 (until September 7) there are going to be MAJOR roadworks at Brussels.
The Vilvoorde bridge on the motorway will be only two narrow lanes one way and 3 very narrow lanes the other way.

Add at least 1 hour to your travelling times when you are travelling at day time hours. Peak time will be even worse.
I'm coming Eddy. Will you be there to cause chaos??
Old 20 Jun 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2902516)   #16
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Nick, not sure yet. Don't like that sort of racing and certainly don't marshal here anymore.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 11:47 (Ref:2902815)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
fwiw i went across the vilvoorde viaduct on sunday night at about 8-9pm and there were no holdups at all with the new lanes in place. on the way over on friday afternoon the lanes weren't in place yet and it was the only place on the entire ringroad that wasn't at a standstill or crawling!
Old 21 Jul 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2929633)   #18
racingfanatic96
Rookie

racingfanatic96 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, me and my dad are planning on going this year but have some concerns over the camping at the circuit. Stavelot sounds good, but the main issue is finding somewhere you can stay for the other nights not only during the 24h. Preferably we would like somewhere within walking distance of the track (and our car) and with reasonable price.

Google hasn't really helped so thanks in advance.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 06:15 (Ref:2929692)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hotel Des Bruyere has camping in their grounds,five mins to La Source gate.
Go onto the Spa Francorchamps Web Site,there are various links to staying in the area.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 16:58 (Ref:2929856)   #20
racingfanatic96
Rookie

racingfanatic96 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Hotel Des Bruyere has camping in their grounds,five mins to La Source gate.
Go onto the Spa Francorchamps Web Site,there are various links to staying in the area.
Thanks, we're looking into that, sent a message to find the prices- hopefully cheaper than the F1...
Old 3 Aug 2011, 12:23 (Ref:2935360)   #21
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
Well we got back from spa on monday evening, and what a brilliant weekend it was! For thursday, friday and saturday we pitched our tent under some tree's right next to the track near the top of eau Rouge/at the start of the kemmel straight. Then moved to a site in the village for sunday night.

A brilliant race, a brilliant circuit, just an all round brilliant weekend
Old 4 Aug 2011, 01:25 (Ref:2935622)   #22
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands hatch View Post
Well we got back from spa on monday evening, and what a brilliant weekend it was! For thursday, friday and saturday we pitched our tent under some tree's right next to the track near the top of eau Rouge/at the start of the kemmel straight. Then moved to a site in the village for sunday night.

Walked past you a couple of times, great spot. We were marshalling at Les Combes, chicane at the other end of the straight. Unbelievable weekend, unbelievable circuit. Couldn't believe the start line grandstands were free on race day! Wlaked all the way round the circuit and even got a drive round on Friday morning.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 03:35 (Ref:2935637)   #23
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands hatch View Post

Our world for the weekend.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 03:40 (Ref:2935638)   #24
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Let's try adding the photos!
Attached Thumbnails
DH000064.jpeg1.jpeg   DH000065.jpeg   DH000072.jpeg  

DH000077.jpeg  
Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2936280)   #25
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Camping area yellow

4 of us have booked to stay here this year, I think it's just up the road from La Source. Anyone have any further information on camping in this area?