Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yoong out of F1!!!!

Yoong Has Three Races... Or Less

Paul Stoddart confirms Alex Yoong won't be a Minardi driver in 2003
20/08/02

MINARDI boss Paul Stoddart has dealt the final blow to Alex Yoong's F1 career. The Aussie owner of the European Minardi team has said Malaysia's first ever F1 driver won't get a drive with his team in 2003.

And judging from comments made by Stoddart it seems unlikely that Justin Wilson or Anthony Davidson will be heading to the team either.

Stoddart told German sports news agency SID: "We are looking for an experienced driver for next season and one from the US."

Which puts ex-ChampCar driver Bryan Herta firmly in the frame to be the first American driver in Formula 1 since Michael Andretti drove for McLaren in 1993.

Herta, currently driving Panoz sportscars in the States, had a test drive in last year's PS01 when he attended Minardi's Thunder In The Park event the weekend before the Hungarian GP.

It also resurrects Stoddart's wish to get former Arrows driver Heinz-Harald Frentzen at the team. When Frentzen lost his drive with Prost through the team's insolvency early on in the year, Stoddart tried to get the experienced German to sign for Minardi.

One thing that Stoddart is certain about is Yoong's future. "Alex will definitely not be getting a contract for next year." Yoong has failed to qualify at three grands prix and struggled to make any impact on the sport while Minardi's other driver, Mark Webber, is likely to be leaving the team for Jaguar in 2003.

Stoddart is almost certain to lose a raft of Malaysian sponsors in ditching Yoong, but is bullish about the team's finances.

Stoddart added: "We are in negotiations with new investors and it looks as if a budget increase for next season is closer than ever."

www.planet-f1.com
Old 20 Aug 2002, 16:36 (Ref:362173)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go Bryan Herta! Oddly my best memory of him was in the paddock at Toronto, saying something uncomplementary about Americans, turning around and seeing him clad in white sponsorless overalls, with nobody paying any attention to him at all... almost felt sorry for him.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 20 Aug 2002, 16:47 (Ref:362177)   #3
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well, what happened is not surprising at all...
Old 20 Aug 2002, 16:51 (Ref:362179)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes. Who was expecting to see Yoong back?
Let's see if Herta gets the drive and impresses.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 16:54 (Ref:362183)   #5
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i really really really hope Herta gets the drive. id like to see Frentzen and Herta in a Ferrari powerd minardi, and with Minardi having a reputation of giving us great talents (Alonso, Trulli, Fisichella, Webber) it would be an idea for Ferrari having Minardi as the Ferrari "C" team

Last edited by Down F0rce; 20 Aug 2002 at 16:55.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 16:56 (Ref:362187)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw Herta give an interview at Le Mans. He is certainly very American. But he isn't afraid to be forthright either; he said "We are a step behind Audi" when asked how competitive the Panoz cars were, and then went on to say hopeful things about their progress.

Herta has done well in sports cars although I have never seen him trackside talking to fans.

I hope he enjoys the drive if he gets it. That will put him one up on some other people who have only driven in one series. He and Mario can exchange notes.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 17:07 (Ref:362195)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Poor Alex Yoong ! Another Ricardo Rosset's disciple is gone...
Old 20 Aug 2002, 17:13 (Ref:362198)   #8
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bet you it isn't Bryan Herta!!!!!!

Watch it be Townsend Bell ;-) Ya, that's a better choice!!!!
Old 20 Aug 2002, 17:39 (Ref:362224)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gotta be Herta. Well, I still don't think he's right for the job, but I'll be screaming and cheering for him as loud as anyone.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 17:52 (Ref:362234)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In a Minardi, Lee ?

To be lapped less than his mate, maybe ?
Old 20 Aug 2002, 17:57 (Ref:362240)   #11
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
LOL!!!
Old 20 Aug 2002, 18:07 (Ref:362250)   #12
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Other experienced driver option:

- Jos Verstappen, was asked before but declined the offer because he's still in a battle with Arrows and his lawyers advised him to not to race.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 18:13 (Ref:362253)   #13
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and because Jos knows the Asiatech is **** of course :-)

but a Ferrari or Cosworth powered Minardi is something different of course.

BTW: did you know Paul Stoddart owns one of Jos's old cars?
(a Tyrrell 025)
Old 20 Aug 2002, 19:08 (Ref:362308)   #14
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps Yoong can bring his sponsorship over to TWR or restart the PHART team? =)
Old 20 Aug 2002, 21:57 (Ref:362445)   #15
Mr Hahn
Racer

Mr Hahn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Stodart is sending out very mixed messages at the moment, so I wouldn't take anything he says for gospel.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 22:33 (Ref:362494)   #16
NME
Racer

NME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like PS is trying to relive the cold war scenario at his own team. Minardi just sign a 2-year deal with GAZPROM (Russia gas giant) aiming at bringing a Russian driver all the way up to F1, and on the other side he is saying that next year Minardi will have a US racer.
It is getting HOT.

Marketing wise MINARDI is very valuable. This still is little guy's racing. Small team, back of the grid, the romantic italian name ... plus 2 racers like the Indy Cowboy VS the Siberian Express !!!???

I want a first row seat ...!!!
Old 20 Aug 2002, 22:49 (Ref:362521)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about Vasser? As far as I know he's not contracted yet.

I don't think Herta will stand out in F1. He certainly didn't in CART. But, he's a nice guy. Maybe Zanardi will come out of retirement to haunt him again.

Also, yes Herta is an experienced driver - BUT he is not an experienced F1 driver. That is the important thing these days.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 05:29 (Ref:362658)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yoong will not be missed. One of the most inept drivers ever to have graced the face of F1. Thank heavens he is now gone.

Americans to replace him? Herta is the name metioned most, but I doubt he's a realistic option. Most likely the team, if they even choose a Yank, will opt for a young American while putting an experienced has-been beside him.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 05:39 (Ref:362661)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Before I get excited, I'd like to see the colour of the engine first

Valve
Old 21 Aug 2002, 07:15 (Ref:362691)   #20
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Depending on who you believe....some say that the Malaysian sponsors haven't coughed up nearly as much as was thought, therefore Minardi may not miss their support dramamtically, hence the reason for the waning interest in Yoong (aside from his obvious lack of ability in the car).
Old 21 Aug 2002, 07:38 (Ref:362696)   #21
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
some say that the Malaysian sponsors haven't coughed up nearly as much as was thought
There are reasons why
Old 21 Aug 2002, 09:45 (Ref:362754)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox

There are reasons why
Is one of the reasons because they're only getting 50% of the TV coverage that they thought that they would get because Alex can't actually make it on to the grid?

Last edited by Mr V; 21 Aug 2002 at 09:45.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 09:54 (Ref:362764)   #23
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v

Is one of the reasons because they're only getting 50% of the TV coverage that they thought that they would get because Alex can't actually make it on to the grid?
HoHo...very funny

Try harder and you'll get the hang of it
Yoong is a useless excuce to get tv coverage but then i've already posted the reasons why in here and you knew very well what i meant in the first place.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 09:58 (Ref:362769)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox

HoHo...very funny

Try harder and you'll get the hang of it
O dear, sense of humour alert, my apologies Juke!
Old 21 Aug 2002, 10:07 (Ref:362781)   #25
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi Jukebox

Yep, saw the stories about Yoong allegedly not getting latest parts on his car, etc.